Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What do u think feels fastest? supercharger,turbocharger or Heads/cam?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 07:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What do u think feels fastest? supercharger,turbocharger or Heads/cam?

has any one ever riden in an ls1 with a supercharger and one with a turbocharger? or one with heads and cam and one with a supercharger? or one with a turbo and one with Heads/Cam? what in your opinion feels the fastest? or the most fun to drive? im sure everyone has always wanted to know the ansrew to this question, i knwo there isnt a straight ansrew but anything helps!
Old 03-30-2006, 08:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IM not gonna lie to you. ive been in some Powerfull head/cam LS-1's they pull like a raped ape. but i have also been in a blown GTO and that thing pulled hard but nothing like a good h/c package.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:16 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IM not gonna lie to you. ive been in some Powerfull head/cam LS-1's they pull like a raped ape. but i have also been in a blown GTO and that thing pulled hard but nothing like a good h/c package
Your experience is a little different than mine. I have installed and rode in a lot of H/C cars and a few pulled pretty good, but none compared to my SC'd car! I rode in a STS vette in the 550rwhp range and it didn't pull as hard as I would have thought but it was an A4 so that probably had something to do with it cause it was pretty fast not as fast as my car was at the time. to make a fair comparison I would have to say that the cars being compared would have to be in the same HP range to even compare them I've seen 440 HP SC cars and 440 H/C cars but didn't ride in both they both posted very simular ET with the SC car beating the H/C car by .2 or .3 and 2-3 MPH. Very debatable subject that is why I posted so I could read what everyones thoughts were etc...
Old 03-30-2006, 09:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree with Inspector that the cars being compared would have to be in the same HP range. Now, based on nothing at all, since ive never ridden in a FI or H/C LS1, I would think the H/C car would seem faster. Won't the H/C car produce more area under the curve than either of the FI alternatives? FI wont make boost until it gets up into the RPMs, whereas the H/C car will make the power right off idle. Only downfall I see is the H/C seems to put a lot more stress on the engine than FI, from what I've read. That, and I think FI cars would maintain their street driveability better than the H/C.

Subscribing..........
Old 03-30-2006, 09:52 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9silverbird8
Won't the H/C car produce more area under the curve than either of the FI alternatives? FI wont make boost until it gets up into the RPMs, whereas the H/C car will make the power right off idle.
I think you have it backwards.

My experience has been that the torquiest cars feel the fastest... shot of N2O at 3500 rpm, roots blower, big block...ect. Of couse a turbo car with a small a/r exhaust turbine would hit pretty hard down low and push you into the seat.

Nick
Old 03-30-2006, 10:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree completely with what you are saying about torque. However, I'm not exactly sure what you're saying I have backwards. Are you telling me FI will produce more under the curve, H/C needs RPM to make its power, and/or that FI will make its power off idle?...........That sentence is kinda confusing... Anyway, please elaborate.
Old 03-30-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

FI will usually put more area under the curve... I think most max effort H/C setups are made to peak torque close to the redline. With a street turbo setup that's probably not going to be the case... you may see peak torque at 3500rpms or so. I always enjoy driving turbo cars because they FEEL fast... sometimes faster than they really are because you hit peak torque so soon. However I have never ridden in a supercharged car before. Just my opinion!
Old 03-30-2006, 11:15 PM
Launching!

I have ridden in several of all of the listed cars, from supras to vettes to F-bodies. My experience is a supercharged heads cam car hits hard and feels strong through out the pull.. turbo'd cars have this suck you back and lock you in your seat but they do it smoothly and then become violent. I will say a supercharged car has the best useable torque curve having 75-80% of the peak torque number available soon after idle and are generally very broad and flat. turbo cars have a smallish torque curve starting out with a radical upswing which when it hits on a big number car will make you reach for the handles and gets tense in your seat. heads and cam cars feel wonderful but once you finish the project.. there you are.. whats next.. you start looking for cubes or juice or boost.. I like turbo cars for the cool factor and for the adjustability without dealing with belt shredding, slippage, balancer issues, or empty bottles.. dial down the boost and you can enjoy your car again, radical cams are not necessary, good driveability and PLENTY of power when you need it.. pump in some 116 octane, dial up the little black box on the dash and your prepared for about anything that will boldly step up next to you at a light or throw a rev your way on the freeway.

all in all each of these cars have there own feel to them. but each of us will take a liking to different setups and all hold to them for a long time until given the opportunity to ride in one of the others and objectively feel them out. turbos on a V8 never crossed my minduntil about 5 years ago and now they have grown in popularity and with good reason... ya have to do something to keep up with the < 3.8 liter cars that started equalizing the playing field with this power adder. in the end there is no replacement for displacement given the same adders involved

Chris
Old 03-31-2006, 03:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Let me rephrase my original question to everyone, if someone got in your car and ddint knwo anything about cars and engines, what would they think felt the fastest, supercharger, turbocharger or head and cams?
Old 03-31-2006, 04:00 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Supercharger would feel the fastest in my opinion. Bob
Old 03-31-2006, 04:01 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 2002/Black/SS
Let me rephrase my original question to everyone, if someone got in your car and ddint knwo anything about cars and engines, what would they think felt the fastest, supercharger, turbocharger or head and cams?
I think lcvette explained it wonderfully. Down low the SC will feel powerful, midrange toss between the SC or H/C car, and up top the turbo will slam you into the seat. So, the real question is how are you driving the car? This will dictate what feels faster. Just my $0.02. Add N2O to the H/C car and depending on how much juice you use, the violence of the nitrous hit will make it feel fastest regardless.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:27 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by lcvette
I have ridden in several of all of the listed cars, from supras to vettes to F-bodies. My experience is a supercharged heads cam car hits hard and feels strong through out the pull.. turbo'd cars have this suck you back and lock you in your seat but they do it smoothly and then become violent. I will say a supercharged car has the best useable torque curve having 75-80% of the peak torque number available soon after idle and are generally very broad and flat. turbo cars have a smallish torque curve starting out with a radical upswing which when it hits on a big number car will make you reach for the handles and gets tense in your seat. heads and cam cars feel wonderful but once you finish the project.. there you are.. whats next.. you start looking for cubes or juice or boost.. I like turbo cars for the cool factor and for the adjustability without dealing with belt shredding, slippage, balancer issues, or empty bottles.. dial down the boost and you can enjoy your car again, radical cams are not necessary, good driveability and PLENTY of power when you need it.. pump in some 116 octane, dial up the little black box on the dash and your prepared for about anything that will boldly step up next to you at a light or throw a rev your way on the freeway.

all in all each of these cars have there own feel to them. but each of us will take a liking to different setups and all hold to them for a long time until given the opportunity to ride in one of the others and objectively feel them out. turbos on a V8 never crossed my minduntil about 5 years ago and now they have grown in popularity and with good reason... ya have to do something to keep up with the < 3.8 liter cars that started equalizing the playing field with this power adder. in the end there is no replacement for displacement given the same adders involved

Chris
yep, gonna have to agree on this one and its exactly how i felt during my SS build going from bolt-ons and spray to a H/C na setup to H/C and spray then to H/C blower and finally H/C turbo which i love the most but also miss the H/C na setup cuz it was damn fast but also because of its simplicity.
As most folks say "To each their own"
Old 03-31-2006, 08:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Guys,
What are we talking about here? Who on earth owns just a FI car????

Most of the cars we are talking about here are H/C (with the SC cars often at nearly the same cam level as the H/C cars) or strokers. These cars would probably be within 10% for HP and TQ with their N/A brothers. The only thing the FI guys are missing is the SOUND level because the SC whine covers it or the turbo muffles it.

Any of these combos can pull a 1.3x sec 60'. It's all going to change by the 330' mark though. Cars under the 600hp mark can be built to have nearly the same dyno graph with any of these combos.

The SC may have a slight advantage in the 1500-3000 range while cruising. Nitrous isn't useable at that level on the street so it's Strokers, H\C and Turbos in what ever order you want and it will probably be the one you own that goes to the top of the list. If we're talking a chance to actually launch. Then it's all about the torque converter, transbrake or the strength of your clutch and hardness of your driveline. It's a question of who is making TQ at 3500+ and how much area under the curve from there to redline. The torque is that feeling of "quickness" and Americans are TQ drivers on the street.

I've gone through a S2 TR224 H/C, 422ci S3-R1 cam, 422ci S3-R1 cam+ nitrous and now 422ci + turbo. Yes these are baby cam setups on all of my motors by today's standards. It was the same 422ci with a 1pt drop in compression and a cam that's smaller than the R1 when I went turbo. The nitrous has the shock factor but after 100', the turbo defines AWE.

The only real thing you can say about these combos is that no matter what, when the turbo gets asked to wake up... you are riding a freight train and the boost **** will put you on the express track.

Rick
Old 03-31-2006, 09:31 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A hard n20 hit worth 400hp or better, nothing like it.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:03 AM
TECH Apprentice

I’ve had and/or ridden in each type of car mentioned, each raging from 400 to 600hp, the only difference being the supercharged car was a cobra, that is now turbo charged. This is my break down with comparable HPed cars.

H/C LS1 vrs supercharged cobra (the ls1 dynoed 411rwhp and the cobra was around 430) the supercharged car felt faster, but they were exactly the same (raced many, many times from stop and roll). The cobra running a PTK kit feels much faster now at less boost, but it also has 100 more HP.

Same H/C ls1 +100shot vrs 530rwhp turbo LS1, (turbo car was slightly faster but was close) and the turbo car feels much faster due to the huge amount of torque produced when the car boosts up (goes from 300 (no boost) to 589ftlb (10psi) in 200 rpm(3600 to 3800rpm)). The quick spool comes on a lot harder than the extra 100 shot on the H/C car and made it “feel” like it was a lot stronger, when really they were very close.

IMO unless you are running a HUGE shot, nothing can equal the burst of acceleration you get going from no boost to full boost on a turbo car. Ride in one and you’ll know what I’m talking about.
Old 03-31-2006, 10:17 AM
Suspended Sponsor

Originally Posted by 2001-WS6
Guys,
What are we talking about here? Who on earth owns just a FI car????

Most of the cars we are talking about here are H/C (with the SC cars often at nearly the same cam level as the H/C cars) or strokers. These cars would probably be within 10% for HP and TQ with their N/A brothers. The only thing the FI guys are missing is the SOUND level because the SC whine covers it or the turbo muffles it.

Any of these combos can pull a 1.3x sec 60'. It's all going to change by the 330' mark though. Cars under the 600hp mark can be built to have nearly the same dyno graph with any of these combos.

The SC may have a slight advantage in the 1500-3000 range while cruising. Nitrous isn't useable at that level on the street so it's Strokers, H\C and Turbos in what ever order you want and it will probably be the one you own that goes to the top of the list. If we're talking a chance to actually launch. Then it's all about the torque converter, transbrake or the strength of your clutch and hardness of your driveline. It's a question of who is making TQ at 3500+ and how much area under the curve from there to redline. The torque is that feeling of "quickness" and Americans are TQ drivers on the street.

I've gone through a S2 TR224 H/C, 422ci S3-R1 cam, 422ci S3-R1 cam+ nitrous and now 422ci + turbo. Yes these are baby cam setups on all of my motors by today's standards. It was the same 422ci with a 1pt drop in compression and a cam that's smaller than the R1 when I went turbo. The nitrous has the shock factor but after 100', the turbo defines AWE.

The only real thing you can say about these combos is that no matter what, when the turbo gets asked to wake up... you are riding a freight train and the boost **** will put you on the express track.

Rick
I would have to agree with the turbo statement, but for sheer shock to the passengers, few things compare to a big hit of spray, the instant 300 or so FTLB's when you hit the button are way to radical to argue from a seat of the pants feel but I know what you mean how the NO2 hit tapers off after a second or two.

-Bryan
Old 03-31-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=Wicked_Hugger99] but also miss the H/C na setup cuz it was damn fast but also because of its simplicity.[/QUOTE

my thoughts exactly.
Old 03-31-2006, 11:37 AM
11 Second Club

wow these are some great posts guys. getting me all excited for my turbo prodject....should be getting my WG and BOV on monday =)
Old 03-31-2006, 12:59 PM
Launching!

I always get a kick out of the old saying,"there's no replacement for displacement". It's simply not true. As to the best kick in the behind, I'd have to say a positive displacement SC. With the traditional Eaton types, though, you give up a bit when the revs go up. However, the KB twin screw potentially is the best of all combos.
Old 03-31-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Just my 2cts...I don't know about ya'll but I don't believe I've ever started to race someone under 4,000 rpms. Except maybe at a dead stop on street tires (drag radials) at a light or stop sign but most of the time when we're all "playin" we're headin' on down the road at cruisin' speed. So with that said which car is going to feel the fastest? Lets see, you've got two cars, if their making big HP, that will probably annihilate the tires at anything under 50-60mph. Even with drag radials/ET Streets, a big shot of gas (200+) or fairly instant boost (above 3500) from a high HP Turbo car your pedalin' the throttle big time...yes you may scare the **** out of your passenger but will they feel the "constant' pull from a car that has more linear power and not shocking the tires so hard? This scenario, BS or not, is what made me decide on my current project...

So my vote for a ***** to the wall, hard on, slam you in the seat and keep you there from 2500rpms to red line is for the big HP SC set ups...I guess I'll find out soon enough. FYI I've owned a pretty high HP Twin Turbo car and my last 422 stroker with a 200 shot so I'll have something to compare it to.