Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how will a t70 react on a Stock SB LS1?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2006, 07:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how will a t70 react on a Stock SB LS1?

hey guys i am have been searching for a slightly used t76GTs and to i cannot find one at all.

I have considered a T88, but it is a street car not a drag car and i dont want all the lag with only 346 cubes, so my biggest question is how will a T70 perform in a truck manifold setup on a stock shortblock LS? i think i would probobly shoot for 550 rwhp at the max. it would most likely be a MP T70 T4 turbo.

Then i figured if i ever wanted more power with a forged SB i could always go with a larger trubo then. like the 76GTS.

Thanks for the replies.

Louie
Old 04-08-2006, 08:05 PM
9 Second Club

Wow... well what you are talking about and your goals dont match. Look at my sig, that is with a more laggy restricted STS setup with a 67... And for the 76GTS I belive a small cube LS1 is not enough to spin it. You will see some lag with a 70... but I dont see much with full boost at 3200 rpms with a rear mount...

As for what you can see... well you will far exceed your HP goals and the capability of your stock fuel and pistons unless you keep it down at like 5psi and you will still need fuel upgrades.
Old 04-08-2006, 08:19 PM
TECH Resident

whoa...maybe i should go ahead and clarify a little i think that what i said may have come off incorrectly.

I am wanting an awesome street car. a frumaroll, not caring about ETs only about trapspeed car.

It will see the track every now and then but mainly a fun street car.

I am going to be fabricating a truck manifold setup, i have already fabbed the piece where the two pipes will come together and i have the T4 flange welded to that as well as more than enough 2.5" mandrel bent pipes.

the truck manifold setup will go on my current stock shortblock with a full fuel system, that will most likely consist of twin intank pump new fuel lines and 60lb injectors etc. pretty much what almost everyone here is running.

i would love to make 550+ power on this setup but i will not push it until i forge the bottom end.

Forged pistons and rods will not be far behind. maybe a coulple of months later.

I have a WB o2 sensor already completely wired in with EFILive SD tuning software already in the car. the SD tune is already in effect as well so i can get a hang of it.

Final end result goals for the car are probobly 700rwhp all day any time that i want it. The T76GTS definately seems like the best candidate for that goal as others have pushed even more out of a 76GTS(i believe jose and others always note an LT1 having over 900rwhp) but for the current time i am thinking about going with a T70 and pushing that to its limits before i upgrading to the T76.

So this complete post is mostly all about how a T70 will react when being fed by 346 cubic inches in a truck manifold setup, only limited to SB strength(for awhile) and TRACTION!

Thanks
Louie
Old 04-08-2006, 08:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by longrange4u
Wow... well what you are talking about and your goals dont match. Look at my sig, that is with a more laggy restricted STS setup with a 67... And for the 76GTS I belive a small cube LS1 is not enough to spin it. You will see some lag with a 70... but I dont see much with full boost at 3200 rpms with a rear mount...

70 spools sooner around 3500 full boost i believe ... you cant compare a rear mount trubo to a front mount... front mounts spool sooner and if you use a smaller a/r you can get them to spool sooner.. its all about what you're looking for...

a 346 wont have a problem spinning a 76... PSJ is gonna spool a t88 with a 346 i believe
Old 04-08-2006, 09:22 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Smearin
a 346 wont have a problem spinning a 76... PSJ is gonna spool a t88 with a 346 i believe
his setup and mine is probobly apples and oranges though....i believe in another thread he said full boost by 6500 rpm....that will not work for me.

i am happy with 3200-3500 rpm spool time which is what i am expecting out of the T70 if i go with it, what i am wondering is if it will pose any major problems? excessive backpressure up top, rediculous heat, etc.

And what it could support in terms of rwhp.

thanks
Louie
Old 04-08-2006, 11:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well it depends on what setup you're going for.... you havent specified..

backpressure wont be any problem if you're running a good exhaust system... anything with a straight through muffler like a borla xr-1 or a non chambered exhaust will help reduce the backpressure on the turbo...
Old 04-09-2006, 02:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Front-Mount T-70 here... Full boost (8 psi) by 3500 RPM in first and 3000 RPM in every other gear (3.73's). I would have even better spool with 3.42's, but I like what I can do with 5th on highway rolls. Looking for a T-76GTS, too... Damn they're expensive.

Exhaust? Why run any? Tubular headers, downpipe, Loudmouth catback... Isn't loud enough for me, either.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:45 AM
10 Second Club

lol I am running a 3 inch cutout and it is fine
a loud mouth would be great with a turbo kit
I am looking for a 3.5 inch exhaust without any muffler or anything
just straight pipes
Old 04-09-2006, 07:43 AM
TECH Resident

for exhaust i am going to run 3" from the turbo back to an electronic cutout then out back through a borlamouth with an XR-1.

hey bboy....how much power are you making? maxed out yet? even near maxed out? please answer these if you know

thanks
Louie
Old 04-09-2006, 09:00 AM
Banned

Your plans with the T70 should suit your goals well with room to grow once better rods and pistons are added. I am building a T70 kit right now also. I am doing a forged 8.5:1 shortblock and adding meth injection so I can push it further than what the stock shortblock will hold. I too am shooting for 550rwhp. I hope it makes alot more.
Old 04-09-2006, 10:34 AM
TECH Resident

all right well then i will definately consider a T70 as a tentative turbo.

Thanks
Louie
Old 04-09-2006, 10:44 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talking Look

Has anybody talk to Jose at force inductions.com I pick his brain for turbo information and I like what I heard he even ask me questions that i never though about But In all I found a turbo through him and luv the price cant quote it here maybe he will chime in but lets just say i went from 2700 from another dealer down to !$*) Think about it just my 0.02$
Old 04-09-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Junkie

I've bought everything from Jose, too.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Smearin
70 spools sooner around 3500 full boost i believe ... you cant compare a rear mount trubo to a front mount... front mounts spool sooner and if you use a smaller a/r you can get them to spool sooner.. its all about what you're looking for...

How small, because with the heat/volume of a front-mount, you want to hit the size that maximizes as much exhaust as possible, generally .96 A/R... LS1's make alot of exhaust, to go smaller would be to limit the volume of gas that WOULD have been able to generate spool. Many front mounts run .96's, though with remote-mounting, smaller volumes due to "not as hot" gases would be benefitted by smaller housing.

Last edited by bboyferal; 04-09-2006 at 11:17 AM.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by half-n-half
for exhaust i am going to run 3" from the turbo back to an electronic cutout then out back through a borlamouth with an XR-1.

hey bboy....how much power are you making? maxed out yet? even near maxed out? please answer these if you know

thanks
Louie
It hits 8 psi on the street (sometimes creeps into 9). With my 3.73's on a Dynojet, my tuner had trouble spooling the turbo (loading). It would hit 5-6 psi and made 426 rwhp and 476 rwtq. We estimated 470-490 rwhp and 550-570 rwtq on 8-9 psi... With a NICE torque curve.
Old 04-09-2006, 11:15 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Darren P
lol I am running a 3 inch cutout and it is fine
a loud mouth would be great with a turbo kit
I am looking for a 3.5 inch exhaust without any muffler or anything
just straight pipes
**** yeah.

Quick Reply: how will a t70 react on a Stock SB LS1?