Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Reading compressor maps

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2006, 10:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reading compressor maps

hey guys i think that i am reading this compressor maps correctly...so i will include some pictures of where i think a 346Ci LS1 will be at 12PSI and 6200rpm.

according to this link.http://forcedinductions.com/consumption346.htm

Now the question i have is what affect does being at a lower effeciency cause? is the lower effeciency related to a higher amount of heat created per pound of boost, and there for making less power?

Thanks
Louie

Also if i am reading these right a T70 should be able to pull of about 12pounds at that rpm and boost level right? although it will be somewhat inneffecient.
Attached Thumbnails Reading compressor maps-t70.jpg   Reading compressor maps-t76.jpg  
Old 04-21-2006, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

just because ur not in the sweet spot on a compressor map doesnt mean it wont make power....but the less efficient the setup is the more heat in the system and the harder it is to make power.
Old 04-22-2006, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Notice how the 2 graphs are different in scale on the the vertical axis - the 1st starts at 1 and the 2nd starts at zero. Your points seem correct, but if you were to draw in a boost line you would always draw it down and left towards the 1 on the left axis, because 1 is no boost, ambient pressure.

Yes, lower efficiency means more heat production per pound of boost. A properly sized intercooler with good airflow will take care of stripping a large percentage of heat out of the incoming charge.

Ideally you want to stay in the most efficient zone as high a percentage of boost time as possible. The 1st map is missing the zone efficiency numbers - it only shows max efficiency for the turbo, so it's hard to draw good conclusions. The T76 looks like your boost line would be generally in the 75% zone.

Jim

Quick Reply: Reading compressor maps