Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

vortech supercharger w/innercooler

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2006, 12:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default vortech supercharger w/innercooler

on my 98 formula w/LS1 i have a vortech supercharger w/innercooler, and my oil temp gets around 250 degrees and then my car shuts off, does anyone know why its doing that? is it because i have the superchager on there? do i just need to get a oil cooler or what? can anyone help?
Old 04-22-2006, 01:55 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm more info please. Did it just start happening have you had the Vortech on there a while or what? Are you talking about the water temp? I know you can install an aftermarked oil temp sensor, but I didn't know that they had one from the factory? I don't think that it is too hot 220-240 is pretty normal on a motor, by the way as I watch it on the vette. I just need more info to help you out.
Old 04-22-2006, 10:55 AM
Teching In

i bought the car with everything already done to it, the guy never really drove it maybe once a month during the summer months, but it has been doing it since i got it i didnt think anything of it thought maybe the injection was kinda gummed up or sumthing becuz it sat alot, but it still does it, no the watter temp is around 180 and liked i said the oil temp after it gets around 240 -250 when i come to a stop the oil pressure drops real fast and then it dies, it has a 3500 stall converter in it i duno if when i brake and the oil is real hot if it just stalls to much and it dies wouldnt think thats possible but i duno, i emailed a guy from TPIs and he said that the LS1 has a oil temp limiter on it and that it will shut off after it gets to hot (he never said what the limit was though) i kno the guy used LS1 edit and AutoTap software to program the car, i dunno if he messed sumthing up or what, but after i take care of the shutting off problem im gunna get the car retuned, i hope that helps you help me, if u can think of any specific questions just ask and ill try to answer them the best i can
Old 04-22-2006, 11:25 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Where did you get this car from, what was the guy's name that you bought it from?
Old 04-22-2006, 12:32 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

where from ill?
Old 04-22-2006, 09:20 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You definately have some tunning issues, but You could really help us help you if you could give us a list of the mods the car has Cam, headers. fuel system etc... Who built or installed the mods and the previous owner could give a little insight if someone on here happens to know him. I haven't herd anything to make me think there is anything major wrong with the car yet. And your mechanical abilities or understanding would help me give you advice also based on what you might know or not know.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:03 AM
Race your car!

The car sounds very farmiliar to one that used to be aournd here, but I haven't seen it in a long time... if it is the same car ( I'll know by the original owner's name ) then I know alot about the car, and what may be wrong with it, at least where to start looking.
Old 04-23-2006, 09:01 AM
10 Second Club

I recommend bringing your car to Speed Inc and have Jim look at it. They're the best in my opinion in Illinois when it comes to LS1's
Old 04-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Teching In

the guy lives in kickapoo, il or brimfield, il and his name is Don Dawson, it has the 6psi supercharger/inncooler, 3500 stall yank converter, jet transmission controler, borla cat-back system, then springs and shocks, but nothing done to the motor, and then it was programed with LS1 Edit and AutoTap, he said he had installed everything excpet the converter maybe, and that he tuned it himself, said that you can edit the LS1 and not have to worry about gettin a new MAFS becuz u can just program it, so i dunno what he did but those are all the mods that he told me were on there
Old 04-24-2006, 01:03 PM
TECH Addict

When I purchased my most recent LS1 from Texas it would just shut off when it got real hot, I started driving from Austin and it shut off multiple times until I got up north a little bit.

Never found the problem as I've since gutted the whole car and went with all aftermarket stuff but I was baffled by it.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Race your car!

Not the car that I thought it might be... sorry I can't be of any help.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:42 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

I'd go over to a Speed Inc. or FLP and have them check it over for you if you don't know what to look for.

Quick Reply: vortech supercharger w/innercooler