Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Choppy FI cam?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 08:50 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Choppy FI cam?

I'm just getting my car buttoned up and I'm going to go with a ProCharger D-1SC tuner kit after I get all of the bugs worked out of the car 1st. Could I go ahead and install a FI camshaft without the supercharger or should I run around with a used ASA cam until I get all of the parts together for the supercharger? Also, aren't most supercharger cams relatively smooth sounding? Does anyone know of a FI cam that's a little on the choppy side?
Old 04-25-2006, 09:44 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yea I would go ahead and put the cam in there if you are going to do one!! Superchargers can have a really choppy cam, but ususally the turbo cars are not as choppy!! You might want to put up all your specs and your power goals so someone would be able to suggest a good cam that will sound like you want it to and make the power!!
Old 04-25-2006, 09:51 AM
TWS
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by scogin918
I'm just getting my car buttoned up and I'm going to go with a ProCharger D-1SC tuner kit after I get all of the bugs worked out of the car 1st. Could I go ahead and install a FI camshaft without the supercharger or should I run around with a used ASA cam until I get all of the parts together for the supercharger? Also, aren't most supercharger cams relatively smooth sounding? Does anyone know of a FI cam that's a little on the choppy side?

You can definitely run some FI cams that have a "chop" at idle. It makes for a really mean sounding car when it idles past you with blower whistle AND a lope.

Rather than get above my head (my D-1SC equipped car has a stock internal motor), I'd suggest that you talk to Force Fed Performance (Yuva City, Cali) or MTI. There are, of course, other shops out there with experience matching cams to blowers, but I think either of those two would give you good advice.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

I've already got a set of 6.0L heads that I haven't put on the car. Also, the headers are 1-7/8" long tube w/merge collector, Spintech mufflers and no cats. I plan on 60# injectors, front mount intercooler and new valves, springs and some work on the heads. It is a stock 2002 block with 4,800 miles on it with the T56. I already have the Walbro 255 in-line pump mounted inside the fuel cell.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:04 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Take a look at the STS Camaro SS that is in the project car section of my website. I have video clips of it idling, and the cam specs are in the article that I wrote up there. We have used this particular camshaft on many turbo and ProCharger equipped cars, and it works very well. Bob
Old 04-26-2006, 05:18 AM
Staging Lane

So I can bypass the ASA cam step and run a blower cam until I put the actual blower on? Sounds good to me. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:33 PM
Conversion master

Do you already have the ASA cam?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:16 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Take a look at the STS Camaro SS that is in the project car section of my website. I have video clips of it idling, and the cam specs are in the article that I wrote up there. We have used this particular camshaft on many turbo and ProCharger equipped cars, and it works very well. Bob
Youre recommending a turbo cam for the car when he's running a supercharger? How is this optimal? Shouldnt he favor the exhaust, when a turbo cam typically favors the intake?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:37 PM
8 Second Club

My turbo cam is pretty choppy...probably the 250's duration on the stock cube motor.
Old 04-27-2006, 05:31 AM
Staging Lane

I don't have any cam yet. I still have to pull the motor one more time before the ca gets painted and want to do the cam swap along with some other things then.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:31 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by pakisho
Youre recommending a turbo cam for the car when he's running a supercharger? How is this optimal? Shouldnt he favor the exhaust, when a turbo cam typically favors the intake?
We have used this very same camshaft with turbos and with superchargers, and if has worked out very well with both types of forced induction. In fact, we have this same camshaft installed in an LQ9 iron block engine that we just built for a customer, using the stock crankshaft. It has his stock LS1 heads on it, and with 15 psi of ATI ProCharger derived boost, we saw 656 rwhp on my Mustang Chassis Dyno. Bob

Quick Reply: Choppy FI cam?