Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Head gaskets for boost?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2006, 04:24 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Head gaskets for boost?

I would like to hear opinons on the best way to seal the heads on the LS motors. I would like to hear what your expiriances have been with different brands and such. This would be for a higher end turbo application (14-16 psi.)
Thanks,

Mark
Old 05-08-2006, 04:31 PM
Staging Lane

Cometic head gaskets, all day long...
Old 05-08-2006, 04:35 PM
Teching In

Default OK why?

Originally Posted by APD*98SS
Cometic head gaskets, all day long...
I have heard that quite a bit, however I have also heard Fel-pro. I have also heard you should O-ring the heads outside the fire ring. Please tell me why you believe what you believe.

Mark
Old 05-08-2006, 04:45 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fast240z
I have heard that quite a bit, however I have also heard Fel-pro. I have also heard you should O-ring the heads outside the fire ring. Please tell me why you believe what you believe.

Mark

everyone has his or her own horror story to tell, I had reciver groves in my heads done as you stated. I just had them cut and removed. I will be running a cometic gasket with no o-ring or reciver grooves.
Old 05-08-2006, 05:07 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM MLS
Old 05-08-2006, 06:50 PM
TECH Senior Member

seen several high hp cars with gm mls
Old 05-08-2006, 11:10 PM
Restricted User

for those boost levels i think the fel-pros or cometic would be fine..either or should hold alot as someone mentioned above...
Old 05-08-2006, 11:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

GM MLS here at 17psi going for 20-21psi soon.
Old 05-08-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Frost
GM MLS
Yep...
Old 05-09-2006, 06:34 AM
9 Second Club

GM MLS cooper coated with ARP 12 point head studs TQed to 75. 11 to 14 psi no problems.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:54 AM
Staging Lane

Yes and people run 500-650 HP on stock GM LS1 crankshafts also. So go ahead and load a revolver with one bullet spin the cylinder, put it to your face and pull the trigger. What's the matter not a gambler? Then don't gamble with your 5K to 8K and up engine on what some people choose to do. If your that cheap not to spend the few bucks on some reassurance, then your not in it to win it anyway.
Old 05-09-2006, 08:58 AM
9 Second Club

Yes and people run 500-650 HP on stock GM LS1 crankshafts also. So go ahead and load a revolver with one bullet spin the cylinder, put it to your face and pull the trigger. What's the matter not a gambler? Then don't gamble with your 5K to 8K and up engine on what some people choose to do. If your that cheap not to spend the few bucks on some reassurance, then your not in it to win it anyway.
I havent heard of anyone breaking there stock crankshaft at 550 to 650 rwhp.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JMBLOWNWS6
I havent heard of anyone breaking there stock crankshaft at 550 to 650 rwhp.
Haven't heard of anyone breaking one at 1000rwhp. I also run GM 6.0 MLS gaskets. At 28psi. Yes, I'm that cheap.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:35 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
Haven't heard of anyone breaking one at 1000rwhp. I also run GM 6.0 MLS gaskets. At 28psi. Yes, I'm that cheap.
Well I was going to say that but I figured those numbers were enuff. Im cheap too
Old 05-09-2006, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

You Sir are an anomaly, congratulations on your status. However, I did not post my and I emphasize my opinion for scorn or sarcasm. Contact any reputable engine builder and they all recommend using quality parts. If you choose to take shortcuts or even envelope your own intuition into your project, I believe that is your opinion, and I still emphasize your opinion. I’m not one much for debate, simply do the math. In this twisted ideology from the original intent, head gaskets. First, Strength between a stock LS1 crankshaft and lets say a Lunati 4340 Forged steel crankshaft? Is there even a comparison? Second, the ability of a head gasket to do their job; Cometic versus stock GM Ls1 Head gaskets; Take a poll if you like.

In your signature you list an LS2 crankshaft. Well I’ll be darned. Forgive me but isn’t that thing FORGED??? Finally talk is cheap. No offense but I need to see some evidence of this 28psi 8.59 second fire breathing Demon you make reference to…
Old 05-09-2006, 10:03 AM
9 Second Club

You Sir are an anomaly, congratulations on your status. However, I did not post my and I emphasize my opinion for scorn or sarcasm. Contact any reputable engine builder and they all recommend using quality parts. If you choose to take shortcuts or even envelope your own intuition into your project, I believe that is your opinion, and I still emphasize your opinion. I’m not one much for debate, simply do the math. In this twisted ideology from the original intent, head gaskets. First, Strength between a stock LS1 crankshaft and lets say a Lunati 4340 Forged steel crankshaft? Is there even a comparison? Second, the ability of a head gasket to do their job; Cometic versus stock GM Ls1 Head gaskets; Take a poll if you like.

In your signature you list an LS2 crankshaft. Well I’ll be darned. Forgive me but isn’t that thing FORGED??? Finally talk is cheap. No offense but I need to see some evidence of this 28psi 8.59 second fire breathing Demon you make reference to…
Harlan along with others on here have used those parts with great results. Im not going to argue with you about what to use. But my engine builder had no problems with using the stock crankshaft. And he is a well known builder.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

On the contrary, I think you did post your opinion and sarcasm. Why the reference to loading a gun and putting to your face?

On topic, who ha more money for R&D cometic or GM? HHHMMMMM just a guess that GM spends more on head gasket testing every year than cometic is worth in its entirety. I prefer the gm MLS gasket as well, and infact see tecnology that GM first put in the mls gasket copied in the cometic. Both are good, one costs more then the other. So if you want a pretty package and a couple stickers for your tool box fine, but to cooralate good design and strenght directly to cost to the consumer is irrational. Sometimes simple things are better and cost less.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:23 AM
TECH Resident

First I'm not going to argue about this. Everyone can run what they want. I couldn't care less. We push things to there limits and let everyone know what we make with what parts. We have been doing this for years. Just for the fun of it. If you want to waste your money buying a stock stroke forged crank for a motor that is only making up to 700rwhp. Then go ahead but it is not needed. If you want to pay a lot more money for Cometic gaskets rather then run a stocker. Go ahead, again not needed. If you want to add 1/2" head studs for more clamping force. Again not needed.
My motor has a stock LS1 crank in a LS2 block. But the LS2 crank is NOT forged. As far as proof. I'll let you know the next time I'll be at the track.
Old 05-09-2006, 10:24 AM
Staging Lane

I do not have a clue as to the meaning of your first sentence. The gun was referenced to a gamble only. If you read first, it states that I did not post my opinion for sarcasm or scorn. I am done with this one, the meaning is 50 miles away by now. In closing notes the FAST intake is paterned after the stock GM design. Only Better. I LOVE GM stuff, however there is always a was to make it better, faster, and stronger just like the bionic man. Many racers piggy back OEM design to achieve better performance.
In closing I visit this forum almost everyday, sometimes more hours than I care to admit.
Alot of members here have been my motivation to build my car. In no way do I or did I intend to offend anyone here on this site, information is knowledge and that is what I get out of LS1TECH.COM, so keep the threads coming.. Peace...
Old 05-09-2006, 10:26 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Please stop while your behind

GM MLS gaskets work very good.They are on all of our 346/408ci cars.Many 12+lb of boost up to 18psi DD cars. As for cranks,the stock one works good to 900+rwhp as proven many,many times.

Quick Reply: Head gaskets for boost?