Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any disadvantage in going to a larger TB and manifold.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2006, 08:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any disadvantage in going to a larger TB and manifold.

I've read in a few posts that a FAST 90 is generally a waste of money when going turbocharged and there is really no power gain. I also noticed that alot of you have the Edlebrock Victor or a sheetmetal manifold and a larger TB.

Is there any disadvantage to going with a larger manifold and TB over stock when only looking for 600rwhp? Or is it just because the money can be spent somewhere else due to not much power gain?
Old 05-11-2006, 08:42 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

There really isn't any advantage to the moving beyond the LS6/LS2 manifolds when you're under 800hp. They've been proven to handle the power so your money is better spent somewhere else.

The advantage that the Edlebrock Victor/GMHP and sheet metal intakes offer is equal A/F distribution for higher HP applications. They probably provide some advantages when you cross over 7,000 rpms too but you don't need that kind of RPM to make 800hp or less.

Rick
Old 05-11-2006, 09:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe Jose @ Forced Inductions was saying something about large intake/big heads cause turbo surging. Maybe he'll chime in on this one. I'm curious as well as I am running an ls1 intake/TB/stock heads. I'm planning on keeping em in search of 900rwhp.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I'm only looking for about 600rwhp street car (stock block) w/317 heads and I'm currently running the BBK SSI intake with a ported BBK 80mm TB. I will be using a 76mm Garrett turbo T6 with a 5 inch - 4 inch downpipe. I ran accross a new manifold on the market I'm sure most of you have seen by now http://byunspeed.com/product_info.ph...b984a1baeb5d8c and just for the bling factor alone along with the aftermarket fuel rails and larger diameter opening and TB how can you go wrong. It may not help me in any way but I just need to know if it will hurt my set up.

Definatley would like to know if it will cause turbo surge or any head lifting problems.
Old 05-12-2006, 01:44 AM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Those look to be pretty beefy fuel rails that come w/ it, and the fact that it comes w/ the hardware to connect them to your stock lines is really nice (especially at that price for the manifold AND rails/hardware). The only problem I see w/ it is the same problem w/ the Weiand/BBK: being made out of aluminum in a stock style means you'll get more heat soak than the stock composite manifold.
Old 05-12-2006, 07:59 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
Well I'm only looking for about 600rwhp street car (stock block) w/317 heads and I'm currently running the BBK SSI intake with a ported BBK 80mm TB. I will be using a 76mm Garrett turbo T6 with a 5 inch - 4 inch downpipe. I ran accross a new manifold on the market I'm sure most of you have seen by now http://byunspeed.com/product_info.ph...b984a1baeb5d8c and just for the bling factor alone along with the aftermarket fuel rails and larger diameter opening and TB how can you go wrong. It may not help me in any way but I just need to know if it will hurt my set up.

IMHO you're not going to gain anything with that manifold on a FI car. It won't hurt anything either if you want the bling factor (as long as you retune for the manifold.)
Definatley would like to know if it will cause turbo surge or any head lifting problems.
IMHO you're not going to gain anything with that manifold on a FI car. It won't hurt anything either if you want the bling factor (as long as you retune for the manifold.)
Old 05-12-2006, 08:48 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I got a fast 90 that was going to install.I sold off my ls6 intake and ported tb.I have seen one car at least ligenfelter SS on fi list that says it makes 800rwhp with that intake. Not saying the intake helps .Also seen dynos with no gains with the fast 90 /90 setups on forced induction and one said something about surging think that was mti dyno?
I like the fast for the direct port option and the burst panels for spray also sound like a good thing. I doubt I will ever run much past 800rwhp in my car.
I would like to hear of a few more guys running the fast 90/90 setups with no problems.There has to be some more out there.Can't believe everyone runs an ls6 or ls1. That sheet metal intake might work good,the edelbrock one but unless I find definite proof that my fast is going to be a big problem plan on keeping it.
Old 05-12-2006, 11:48 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

If you are looking to do 600rwhp and are not running a lot of compression, then a bigger intake/tb combo won't be necessary.
Old 05-12-2006, 05:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree that it won't be necessary but for the price I can sell my BBK combo for I can get this manifold and fuel rails and would only need the TB. If I bought just the rails and everything needed it would be close to $200 which I could use towards the TB.

Now I'm worried about the surge issue. Does anyone running the Victor manifold with a larger TB have any surge issues?

Quick Reply: Any disadvantage in going to a larger TB and manifold.