Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

very disappointed in CAS kit...i need some serious help please!!

Old 05-24-2006, 09:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Default very disappointed in CAS kit...i need some serious help please!!

ok, first mods are in sig. car made 511/546 on 12.5psi. 26.5* timing, 12.5:1 a/f ...the tuner said i wasnt making enough boost to hurt the engine and said it will be fine. the tuner thinks im out of turbo. the turbos are twin T44s. we put 10.6 springs in the WG's, i thought that might help. still only seeing 12.5psi with closed cutouts and 12psi with open the cutouts.

they completly shut the wastgates off just to see what they could max the turbos out at...still only 12psi. GMR said they checked for boost leaks and found nothing. and the boost hits 12 and starts dropping, 11, 10 9...shutdown

A DEE O saw 15psi with his exact setup & turbos.

2 weeks ago the car made 535/591 @ 12psi with 5lb WG springs, a kinked oil line , way to big 83lb injectors & a heat soaked motor. WTF now im down power. i lost 50lb of tq....something is F'd up!!!!

any help is greatly appreciated
Old 05-24-2006, 09:59 PM
Restricted User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good luck finding your gremlin... I know how aggrivating it can get...
Old 05-24-2006, 10:26 PM
Restricted User

Check all your piping and connectors. Twin 44's on a stock LS1 will make way more than that if you have the correct size turbine housings.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:50 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

50 lb tq can just be due to weather conditions sometimes... But can also be related to IAT..and so on...a million little things are at work here... 12 psi max..I dunno how to help much, but I can say my old cas kit hit 20+ easy with t3/t04e hybrids. You can get the same turbos I had for $1300 for the pair if you want to continue the trek.... mine is a 409 ci though.

Id like to know how GMR tested for boost leak. I never trust shops to do those things correctly as its vert time consuming. You need to seal the system and use a compressor. I have yet to find a system without at least a small leak. i had a large leak at my TB throttle shaft at one point. Also, figure out how much boost your IC is stealing..they all steal some.

GMR sounds like they know what they are doing and may well be very reputable... but you need to start asking questions just to rule things out... for instance ..how did they shut the waste gates "off".

A car with cold fluids, especially the rear end lube, will also produce slighly lower numbers so there may be a combo a factors at work. DO NOT GIVE UP.
Old 05-24-2006, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
ok, first mods are in sig. car made 511/546 on 12.5psi. 26.5* timing, 12.5:1 a/f ...the tuner said i wasnt making enough boost to hurt the engine and said it will be fine. the tuner thinks im out of turbo. the turbos are twin T44s. we put 10.6 springs in the WG's, i thought that might help. still only seeing 12.5psi with closed cutouts and 12psi with open the cutouts.

they completly shut the wastgates off just to see what they could max the turbos out at...still only 12psi. GMR said they checked for boost leaks and found nothing. and the boost hits 12 and starts dropping, 11, 10 9...shutdown

A DEE O saw 15psi with his exact setup & turbos.

2 weeks ago the car made 535/591 @ 12psi with 5lb WG springs, a kinked oil line , way to big 83lb injectors & a heat soaked motor. WTF now im down power. i lost 50lb of tq....something is F'd up!!!!

any help is greatly appreciated
You have the old wg design like Noyzee, mine was the new style. Don't know if that helps.
Old 05-24-2006, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

are you sure ur not detonating....thats ALOT of boost with ALOT of timing with a HIGH A/F
Old 05-24-2006, 11:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ddnspider
are you sure ur not detonating....thats ALOT of boost with ALOT of timing with a HIGH A/F
ditto.

I would be starting at like 15 degrees of timing, 11.8 air fuel, and then working from there, That is as much timing as I can put into my car @ wot under 5000 rpms without the knock sensors pulling it out, and can hit around 28.5 at the top of the run (6K) on a loaded mustang dyno, with a 12.5 air fuel being NA.

Ryan
Old 05-25-2006, 12:38 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's a scary timing/AFR combo... Hell that timing scares me with a fat AFR..
Old 05-25-2006, 04:29 AM
TECH Junkie

could it be possible that i have bent valves? these are my stock heads and i did the old 3rd gear to 2nd gear 3-4 times while while on the throttle hard core.

could it be possible that the cam was installed wrong?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Frost
That's a scary timing/AFR combo... Hell that timing scares me with a fat AFR..

what kind of timing should i be running with 8.5:1 compression?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by slow
ditto.

I would be starting at like 15 degrees of timing, 11.8 air fuel, and then working from there, That is as much timing as I can put into my car @ wot under 5000 rpms without the knock sensors pulling it out, and can hit around 28.5 at the top of the run (6K) on a loaded mustang dyno, with a 12.5 air fuel being NA.

Ryan
the tuner told me i wasnt getting any knock. he added more timing and started seeing KR so he reduced it some.
Old 05-25-2006, 04:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by A DEE O
You have the old wg design like Noyzee, mine was the new style. Don't know if that helps.

the way Jammer talked about my WG, he made it sound as if I had the better design?
Old 05-25-2006, 04:37 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Jammer
50 lb tq can just be due to weather conditions sometimes... But can also be related to IAT..and so on...a million little things are at work here... 12 psi max..I dunno how to help much, but I can say my old cas kit hit 20+ easy with t3/t04e hybrids. You can get the same turbos I had for $1300 for the pair if you want to continue the trek.... mine is a 409 ci though.

Id like to know how GMR tested for boost leak. I never trust shops to do those things correctly as its vert time consuming. You need to seal the system and use a compressor. I have yet to find a system without at least a small leak. i had a large leak at my TB throttle shaft at one point. Also, figure out how much boost your IC is stealing..they all steal some.

GMR sounds like they know what they are doing and may well be very reputable... but you need to start asking questions just to rule things out... for instance ..how did they shut the waste gates "off".

A car with cold fluids, especially the rear end lube, will also produce slighly lower numbers so there may be a combo a factors at work. DO NOT GIVE UP.
yes i agree with you here. i dont know how they tested for leaks. im just going to have to get the car back, learn what to do and look for leaks my self myself. as of right now, i have no clue of sealing the pipes or whatever up and using the compressor.
Old 05-25-2006, 06:24 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 30th t/a
what kind of timing should i be running with 8.5:1 compression?
I guess if it's been logged under load with no KR it's ok, that just seems pretty high...
Old 05-25-2006, 08:35 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I know Jammer is using the same WG's on his new setup. He's very happy with them. My guess is you have a serious leak somewhere. Did you check the welds after fixing the clearance problem?? One may be cracked. Always start cheap and work your way up.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree could easily be a boost leak if you aren't holding boost or getting high enough boost. Too low a spring could cause that but you said you went up on the wastegate springs.
So likely boost leak.Check all couplers and clamps.
The 3 to 2 can definitely hurt things usually pushrods..pull the valve covers and check the pushrods!!
Put in some better springs like comp 918 or something if you aren't going to change heads.
Cam in wrong.your sig lists stock cam I thought?
Not sure how small 44s are compared to the T61 s that I am getting with my gmr kit.
I would also want to see mabye 600 rwhp on pump with my gt7 cam and some planned patriot lq9 heads.I realize my fast 90 may not add any power most guys got zero gains from them but like it for the direct port nitrous option.
Curious also what taking off the vacuum lines to the wastegate would do boost wise
not sure if the springs would still be limiting factor.
Also what about exhaust restrictions..clogged cats,old muffler?
My 91 turbo laser didn't want to boost very good and it was clogged cat and even now with no cat the boost is limited by the stock old 150,000 mile muffler.Exhaust restriction can hurt spool and boost.
Old 05-25-2006, 08:59 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh and recommended taking off line to wastegate only as a test not as a permanent solution. Guys on my talon board were only getting like 22 or 25 psi with 15 pound springs..they swapped in 20 pound springs and got 30psi.The springs are minimum boost but also limit max boost.Not sure if there is a way to know how much max boost you can get from what minimum spring.
Old 05-25-2006, 09:40 AM
8 second mod

I will put money on it that either
a) one of the lines are screwed up, leaking, pin holes, not on all the way ect.
any rubber piping, try replacing it. the one from the turbo to the IC on mine was bad, could not figure out my issue,, put new hoses in, and boom, it was all set.

b) the air filter setup is restrickting air intake there for limiting boost, again, it happend to me, so i removed the filters, and lines, and put mesh screan over the intake, and boom, it was mint.

c) the crimped oil line killed one of the turbos, and only one is suppling boost, there for 10 psi spring making 12 psi is right on the money

d) and last but not least, the miss shifts can kill push rods, valves, ect there for dropping cylender pressure and boost bleed off.
a leak down may find it if the valve is bent right and the air wont push the valve closed.

again, i had very similar issues, and that always fixed them.
the last thing is, that kit makes alot of heat, and i ait up plug wires like mad, so carry a scanner and spare plug wires to the track with you
Old 05-25-2006, 11:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by BLk01SS
I know Jammer is using the same WG's on his new setup. He's very happy with them. My guess is you have a serious leak somewhere. Did you check the welds after fixing the clearance problem?? One may be cracked. Always start cheap and work your way up.
not sure what welds you are talking about? i didnt mess or do any welding.
Old 05-25-2006, 11:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Agree could easily be a boost leak if you aren't holding boost or getting high enough boost. Too low a spring could cause that but you said you went up on the wastegate springs.
So likely boost leak.Check all couplers and clamps.
The 3 to 2 can definitely hurt things usually pushrods..pull the valve covers and check the pushrods!!
Put in some better springs like comp 918 or something if you aren't going to change heads.
Cam in wrong.your sig lists stock cam I thought?
Not sure how small 44s are compared to the T61 s that I am getting with my gmr kit.
I would also want to see mabye 600 rwhp on pump with my gt7 cam and some planned patriot lq9 heads.I realize my fast 90 may not add any power most guys got zero gains from them but like it for the direct port nitrous option.
Curious also what taking off the vacuum lines to the wastegate would do boost wise
not sure if the springs would still be limiting factor.
Also what about exhaust restrictions..clogged cats,old muffler?
My 91 turbo laser didn't want to boost very good and it was clogged cat and even now with no cat the boost is limited by the stock old 150,000 mile muffler.Exhaust restriction can hurt spool and boost.
i got new 918's on the heads right now. the T44s are a 54mm trim wheel. i talked to limit engineering and he told me i should see 18 psi with those turbos. no cats at all. i got dual 2.5" down pipes going into a single 4" with magnaflow muffler plus i got dual coutouts. i actually gained 1/2psi going through the exhaust.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: very disappointed in CAS kit...i need some serious help please!!