Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS style turbo kit !------- and some general turbo questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2006, 06:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS style turbo kit !------- and some general turbo questions

got some questions before i start fabbing up an sts style turbo kit on my blazer. i have some questions after looking @ some install pictures

my main consern is oiling.-

1.)can i just put a t- fitting in the oil pressure sensor bung and then run the oil feed line to the turbo from there? And for the return can i run it like this? IT IS THE SECOND PICTURE IN THE SERIES-
http://www.ststurbo.com/c5_corvette_installation_pics

2.)The wastegate- i will be running an external wastegate- do i have a vaccume line that goes from the top of the wastegate to the turbo? is that how it controlls the boost????
2.A.)also do i tap into that line (vaccume line from the wastegate to the turbo) for the fmu and the boost guage?

Fueling!!!!!-

i want to hit 10+psi on my 4.3L - since i cant upgrade my stock injectors - im gonna go with 2x extra injectors.

if i go extra injectors do i need an FMU ? i know if i run an FMU i can run 7 to 8 psi on the stock fuel system. so for the extra injector controller should i just put it on a msd boost (or hobbs) switch to kick on @ 7 or 8 psi? how should i go about adding the extra fuel with the extra injectors

thanks for the help GUYS- i will be doing a right up about it very soon.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a blazer, why don't you try putting it under the hood?
Old 05-30-2006, 09:06 PM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by engineermike
With a blazer, why don't you try putting it under the hood?
You aint likin' dem der butt terboes, is ya mike? LOL
Old 05-30-2006, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by marxjunk
You aint likin' dem der butt terboes, is ya mike? LOL
They have their place. . .

Hey, I got and idea! Let's mount the big rig turbo's on the end of their exhaust systems! NOTHING would be cooler than a pair of T-88's flyin' high above a Peterbilt!
Old 05-31-2006, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

well there isnt any room under the hood @ all. if i go with a sy/ty manifold set-up i have ALOT more fabrication to do and have to move alot of **** under the hood. i am doing this as my first custom turbo set-up so for ease i want to try an STS style set-up. but if anyone can answer my questions i would be very appreciative. thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 11:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 02Vortech
got some questions before i start fabbing up an sts style turbo kit on my blazer. i have some questions after looking @ some install pictures

my main consern is oiling.-

1.)can i just put a t- fitting in the oil pressure sensor bung and then run the oil feed line to the turbo from there? And for the return can i run it like this? IT IS THE SECOND PICTURE IN THE SERIES-
http://www.ststurbo.com/c5_corvette_installation_pics

2.)The wastegate- i will be running an external wastegate- do i have a vaccume line that goes from the top of the wastegate to the turbo? is that how it controlls the boost????
2.A.)also do i tap into that line (vaccume line from the wastegate to the turbo) for the fmu and the boost guage?

Fueling!!!!!-

i want to hit 10+psi on my 4.3L - since i cant upgrade my stock injectors - im gonna go with 2x extra injectors.

if i go extra injectors do i need an FMU ? i know if i run an FMU i can run 7 to 8 psi on the stock fuel system. so for the extra injector controller should i just put it on a msd boost (or hobbs) switch to kick on @ 7 or 8 psi? how should i go about adding the extra fuel with the extra injectors

thanks for the help GUYS- i will be doing a right up about it very soon.
First, with the injector system in the 4.3, you are VERY limited. We did a 4.3 Blazer with the STS and the injectors were way stressed even at 5psi.
The best thing for you to do is to try and find a way to use an intake that has provisions for what ever size injector you want to use. W/o doing that you are limited and asking for tuning issues trying to use a 7th injector in the intake pipe.

There is a plug right by the oil filter that you can remove for the oil supply. It is a very tight fit with the manifold right there.

You can either run your boost reference from the compressor housing to the side of the wastegate or from the intake to the side of the wastegate.
You dont want to run it to the top.

You can run the return in the oil fill cap, just make sure everything is tight to prevent leaks.

Are you using a universal STS kit, or making everything yourself?

Old 06-01-2006, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

so from the side of the wastegate not the top correct. cool- hey but you hit those #'s on a completely stock 4.3L right. he had all of his cats, his crappy y-pipe, stock clutch fan, stock pullies and the whole shibang right? with full bolt ons 230 to 240 could be attained and with a stall it would make it a whole new animal right?
Old 06-01-2006, 07:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

It was a whole new animal. Its not making the big numbers, but the customer loves it. He is aware its not as safe as it should be, but still drives the hell out of it. So far, all is good.
Old 06-01-2006, 09:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

wow im gonna run the same set-up but with fmu/bigger fuel pump, intercooled and methanol hoping for 11 to 12 psi tuned with wideband a/f ratio and everything
i will let you know how it goes
Old 06-01-2006, 11:45 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trtturbo
It was a whole new animal. Its not making the big numbers, but the customer loves it. He is aware its not as safe as it should be, but still drives the hell out of it. So far, all is good.

Same guy from killeen???
Old 06-02-2006, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

yea Tim it is. He loves that thing.
Old 06-02-2006, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

do you remember where you ran the intake tubing? i looked under my truck today for about an hour and couldnt really find much space to run the cold side piping....also do you think it would be easier to run a t-block from the oil pressure sensor bung for the oil feed than the spot next to the oil filter?

ALSO I HAVE HEARD that nelson locks their tunes, there fore i cant get a dyno tune...... and cant get retuned for a 3 bar map sensor....

Last edited by 02Vortech; 06-02-2006 at 05:17 PM.
Old 06-03-2006, 01:07 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by trtturbo
yea Tim it is. He loves that thing.
Thats cool