Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Race turbo setup, questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 03:35 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Race turbo setup, questions...

After blowing my stock shortblock, I've been exploring all the options for a new engine. Originally I planned to build a solid roller/nitrous car but a turbo seems very appealling. I will be building a forged 408 iron block. The car will see some occasional street use, but will primarily be a track car. It will have No a/c or p/s so I'll have plenty of room to play with.

I've been researching my options for a few days, but I really have no idea about what or who to deal with. I'm assuming I will go with a large single, and would like to make atleast 900 rwhp. Would an air to water intercooler be best? Does anyone make the hot side parts in a kit to support this? What size turbo would reach my goal? I'm a newb when it comes to turbos, so any advice would be appreciated.
Old 06-11-2006, 03:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

on a race car you may be better off having a custom tubular header set fabricated for you because most kits off the shelf route around lots of stuff like ac and ps. The cost of labor for welding a hot side set is around 1000-1500 and parts cost is around 1000 for SS.

As for the turbo you should probably talk to forced inductions if your serious, they will recomend a perfect turbo for your setup.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:44 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 5LTREATR
After blowing my stock shortblock, I've been exploring all the options for a new engine. Originally I planned to build a solid roller/nitrous car but a turbo seems very appealling. I will be building a forged 408 iron block. The car will see some occasional street use, but will primarily be a track car. It will have No a/c or p/s so I'll have plenty of room to play with.

I've been researching my options for a few days, but I really have no idea about what or who to deal with. I'm assuming I will go with a large single, and would like to make atleast 900 rwhp. Would an air to water intercooler be best? Does anyone make the hot side parts in a kit to support this? What size turbo would reach my goal? I'm a newb when it comes to turbos, so any advice would be appreciated.
TTi Race kit. They are not a sponsor so I cant give you a link, but several of the users here run this kit. Mightymouse has this kit; it's top-shelf in quality and fits the needs you describe. His car makes my face feel like it's sliding up on my skull
Old 06-13-2006, 03:01 PM
9 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

The TTi Race kit would be one of the best choices for an off the shelf setup to fill the goals. Excellent quality.

MM runs a mod kit with a PTE88 setup and I run the Innovative 80mm off the shelf. Both cars have gone 9.9s at 148mph (366ci/T88/Big Stuff 3/96lbs injectors/93 Octan+Meth/6-spd) and 141mph (402ci/Innovative 80/stock PCM/60lbs injectors/94Octane/TH-400) respectively while set at street trim.

Both cars have some wiggle room left in their ETs and MPH.

Rick
Old 06-13-2006, 04:40 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 45 Likes on 19 Posts

I still have a brand new 88mm single kit for sale. Should be good for ~1000 rwhp, and I have all the parts necessary to build the kit. Everything is brand new.

Tony