Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil in the charge pipes on STS?

Old 07-02-2006, 11:07 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil in the charge pipes on STS?

Well I am gonna assume that the seals on my turbo are shot. I pulled the charge pipe with the BOV on it off today just to see how the new O ring was holding up. I got a puddle of oil about 10in in diameter on the ground just from this one pipe I know that oil on the MAF will kill horsepower. I have kinda noticed my car being down on power as well though.
Old 07-02-2006, 11:22 AM
TECH Addict

How is your scavange pump doing? sounds like its probably shot
Old 07-02-2006, 11:34 AM
On The Tree

How can you tell if the pumps shot? It sounds like it working. I dont get the low oil psi buzzer. The STS kit only has about 8500miles on it.
Old 07-02-2006, 12:43 PM
TECH Addict

Well if its not working oil won't be sucked out of your turbo and returned to the front where it belongs, it will seap through the seals and cause symptoms like you described.

Someone from TRT can probably answer your questions bette about how to tell if its working as advertised.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:14 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

it's pretty common to get oil in the pipes, especially if you park on an incline and some oil gets past the seals. I've just learned to deal with it, not a big deal to me. I back my car into my driveway and it solved a lot of the issues.

My check valve works fine, but it's the oil in the drainline that is causing my issue.
Old 07-02-2006, 01:42 PM
Tenured Member

As zombie said, try not to park on an incline if possible. Oil left in the return line can seep back with the car on an incline. The way the oil line is run can also contribute to this. When the engine was rebuilt I used the return to the canton pan. Which might have helped slightly, but didn't help with the incline problem. Also had the idea of priming the pump after the engine is shut down to pull out any left oil in the line.
Old 07-02-2006, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

It just sucks though because its got so much oil in the charge pipe that its making my car misfire when it starts to build boost. I forgot to mention that I had the car parked for a few weeks and before I parked it,it did not misfire. Its not a boost leak because I checked all the connections and they are all good. Thanks for all the replys though.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

A couple of things to do and try. One, see if your check valve is working okay. Easiest way is to take oil line off the check valve, take check valve off, hook oil line to check valve, start the car for just a second or two until oil comes out, spray a quick shot of brake clean in the end of the check valve to clean out the oil. It should stop dripping. If it doesnt, then your check valve is bad. Call your dealer or STS and get them to send you a new one.
Make sure your oil return line is not kinked.
Also, if your sock is on, it is not wise to do alot of WOT runs. The sock is very restrictive and can cause a vacume in the turbo and suck some oil from the center section.
More than likely, its just a check valve and thats it.
The advise about turning the key on for a couple of seconds is a good thing to do.
Old 07-02-2006, 04:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Clean the air filter!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:07 PM
On The Tree

I just put a new air filter on the car. I am gonna try to check the check valve tonight. I hope that fixes it. Ill post up results later on tonight
Old 07-03-2006, 03:08 PM
On The Tree

Well It must have been just some oil sitting in the pipes or something because I drove it today and got on it and it never missed once.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Oil in the charge pipes on STS?