Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS - How to???

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 10:40 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS - How to???

Alright...I've got my STS setup. I've bought my PNP Fuel Pump, 42lb Injectors...all the good stuff. Here is my problem. Any of the shops near me can't tune my car for 4 weeks! How can I install this stuff and drive my car until I get the dyno tune done? I can't even imagine installing all of this stuff and then not even being able to turn the key for 4 weeks!?!??! What do you guys do to get around this???
Old 07-07-2006, 12:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Install everything but the injectors. Driving is ok as long as you don't get into boost very much (to be safe < 3psi). You are playing with fire if you go higher. The injectors go in right before your tuner loads a preliminary tune. I did mine in the parking lot at the dyno shop.
Old 07-07-2006, 06:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

enginjoe is right. install everything but injectors and just drive it around but don't boost. I did this for over a month before I had mine dyno tuned.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:59 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Just do not go wide open throttle, as you don't want to risk taking out a piston! Bob
Old 07-08-2006, 12:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you run 2-3 psi and be ok? I have the same problem.

For example, if your pullin onto a highway, would you be ok without any tune going slight wot. Or are you just referring to a full on WOT run like at a track?

Is it possible to run even less, like maybe 1-2 psi, and be perfectly fine regardless of driving cond. Id like to just have my turbo installed and sitting on the car (basically working but not boosting) with no tune.
Old 07-08-2006, 02:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sorry, but a stock tune isn't meant for boost, it's meant for vacuum, period. 1-3psi supposedly is okay, but I wouldn't even risk it, it's really hard to keep your foot out of it to begin with, let alone control the boost with throttle. Don't chance it, cruise to get it tuned, don't dick around, you'll pay the price if you do. =)