Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Phamspeed/TURBO guys inside...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2006, 07:03 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Phamspeed/TURBO guys inside...

Alright, basically I'm just tryin to figure out if dropping the Procharger for a phamspeed turbo kit is the right choice. As far as the engine, it will be more than likely a 408/6.0L heads/turbo cam ~8.5 CR...I have found a kit on here that I am extremely interested in purchasing and just wanted to get some other knowlegable suggestions. Are there any common problems with the Phamspeed kits? What regular maintenance is needed with a turbo? Here is a link to the kit I am contemplating on buying...https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...ight=phamspeed
Basically, judging from the list of whats included what else will I need to finish off/enhance the kit? My goal is to make 750rwhp-800rwhp on pump gas with alky injection. Thanks for any advice you guys can provide.

chris
Old 07-08-2006, 07:05 PM

Dont plan on being lowered and hope you like the pipes going under the K member.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd stick with the procharger myself. The pham kit was nothing but a headache for me.
My 2 pennies.
Old 07-08-2006, 07:34 PM
On The Tree

Exactly what I didnt want to hear but I appreciate the heads up...I wasnt planning on lowering the car but that under the kmember look wasnt to impressive. I had thought about going to an F1 blower perhaps but I like the torque that the turbos make and the fact that i'll be making full boost around 3500ish rpms is pretty tempting as well. Thanks for the advice guys. Any more suggestions are welcome.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I believe the cast manifold kit has even less ground clearance. I've got about 3" of clearance on mine and im at stock ride height.
Old 07-08-2006, 11:26 PM
TECH Resident

I have the phamspeed. But Mine is modded. Goes above the K-Member..
Old 07-09-2006, 01:32 PM
On The Tree

Other then the ground clearance are you guys happy with the kit? This is going to be a street car and rarely on the track.

Originally Posted by FormulaFire
I have the phamspeed. But Mine is modded. Goes above the K-Member..
What did you have to do to get the pipe over the k-member? How difficult was it to do?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:45 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

ive got the Pham budget kit with shorty headers and i couldnt be more happy with it.I have scraped the crossover pipe a time or 2 but nothing terrible,if you use common sense while driving that there is a pipe there then you shouldnt have any problems.so far im making decent power with it as well.If its the budget kit id recommend shortys and getting the crossover cut and rewelded which would really help on the clearance,if its the headers kit i heard that those didnt work out too well with plug access and pipe routing.But my kit has great plug access and i cant complain.just my experience though.Nick
Old 07-09-2006, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Is it the crossover pipe or the down pipe that has clearance issues? I'm getting ready to install my Pham budget kit and thought it was the down pipe you had to watch out for. I intend on using a 4" downpipe with some oval piping under the K-member.
Old 07-09-2006, 03:12 PM
On The Tree

I believe its the crossover pipe that has the clearance issues, although the downpipe is hanging low to judging by the pic.

ddnspider: What kind of power are you making with your setup? Stock 346? Heads/cam? Pump gas?
Old 07-09-2006, 03:35 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

its the crossover that has issues where it merges the 2 pipes to 1.i have a 3 1/2" exhaust and no problems with that.Im not sharing my hp due to local watchers but im a forged 383 H/C T76GTS turbo yadda yadda....and for the price of the kit your honestly cant complain...i think added up all for the whole turbo kit itself i had MAYBE $4000 into it and thats including down to the nuts and bolts and coating and upgrades i decided to do.
Old 07-09-2006, 04:05 PM
On The Tree

You can always shoot me a pm if you dont want to post? And i dont blame ya for not posting, as dyno #'s/ET's seem to get around fast when you tell a few people...And this is the manifold/budget kit...comes with 02 fbody manifolds...
Old 07-09-2006, 06:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

I got the Pham header kit and i love it. I am skeered of how low the pipes are to teh ground as im gonne be gettin alot mroe into draggin next season and dont wanna life the wheels and then crush that pipe. I have only hit it a few times and that has only been at times that i was on the highway goin fast and there was a big dip in my area that they need to fixx in teh road.
I made a good amt of power before i tore it down. 661hp and 650 tq on a mustang dyno. I will be goin for alot more when im done buildin it up.
The plugs are an annoyance though. It is pretty damn hard to get to them all. But i think u are lookin at teh budget kit which shouldnt have that problem as its manifolds are outsourced. GL man

John
Old 07-09-2006, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

It was a bunch of welding mods.. Worth it I believe.. I love my phamspeed kit for. Great kit to go with and I plan to put down 1000rwhp.. And it's looking pretty realistic w/ the path I'm on!
Old 07-09-2006, 08:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FormulaFire
It was a bunch of welding mods.. Worth it I believe.. I love my phamspeed kit for. Great kit to go with and I plan to put down 1000rwhp.. And it's looking pretty realistic w/ the path I'm on!
Which Pham kit do you have? Is it the budget with shorties, tubluar or the forward facing kit? I for one plan on modding the pipe between the crossover and flange. I'm going to run a T6 flange turbo so instead of just cutting the old T4 and rewelding a T6 I'm gonna shorten the pipe and make an adaptor flange that raises it 8-10 inches and set the turbo up high and run a filter where the battery sits. Similar to where HIFlo has their single placed.
Old 07-10-2006, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
Which Pham kit do you have? Is it the budget with shorties, tubluar or the forward facing kit? I for one plan on modding the pipe between the crossover and flange. I'm going to run a T6 flange turbo so instead of just cutting the old T4 and rewelding a T6 I'm gonna shorten the pipe and make an adaptor flange that raises it 8-10 inches and set the turbo up high and run a filter where the battery sits. Similar to where HIFlo has their single placed.
I like that idea. Kind of wish I had a T6 in there.. But to do it now. Would take WAY too much work! It's the forward facing header kit. My filter is sitting where the battery used to be a well.. Many a T6 would be nice.. But I'll settle for a T88.
Old 07-10-2006, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Thanks for the input guys, I really appreciate it.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:20 PM
TECH Regular

I just finished my build, I live in southern california and I have no problem with the clerance, i have not hit anything yet, and I am happy with the kit, but the little things will kill you, and on the budget kit the downpipe and charge pipe run very close together, might want to header wrap the downpipe to cool your intake temps...but great kit,, I like its not as bad as people say.

Quick Reply: Phamspeed/TURBO guys inside...