Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI or Turbo For An Auto

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 08:03 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ATI or Turbo For An Auto

Well I'm doing away with my NA set up with my GTO (most mods on sig). I guess I'm just tired of the big cam drivability issues. I'm wanting something that drives as close to stock as I can without having to sacrifice power. Also looking to run mid 11's ET's. I will be trading in my cam for a custom FI cam for whatever set up I go with.

My first option was to go with an intercooled ATI set up. I'll be looking to make 500-550RWHP (depending how big I want to go on the fuel) with the custom cam and some fuel upgrades. I would also sell my FAST LSX intake to keep the costs down.

Another thing I thought about and wanted to do when I first got the car was a turbo,though there are not a lot of options with turbos on this car unless you have a lot of $$$. My best bet right now is to go with a custom STS set up with everything needed to correctly/safely run it since I can get a good price on it. With building it we can fix the oiling issues they have and should be able to take out quite a bit of the turbo lag IMO. Plus with the Yank 3600 I think turbo lag will be at a minimum. Looking to make the same HP as the ATI but more TQ . Also I could sell my headers, exhaust and FAST LSX as well.

I think the turbo will be the way to go especially on an auto cuz of the TQ they can make. I'm new to the FI thing so any thoughts and info would be appreciated.
Old 07-13-2006, 01:22 AM
11 Second Club

I would say it depends on what you want? If you have some suspension and can launch hard I'd go with a Procharger. If you dont have the suspension to back alot of TQ, I'd go with a Turbo. For the lag. Some times Lag is good. For instance in your case with minimal lag (due to high stall) you could have the line with power but not full power, but getting more power down the track. It's all in the set up. You could get full boost around 2500-3000 rpms with a turbo.
Old 07-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Banned

I just have sway bars and drag bags now for suspension. I see no reason to lower or raise the car so aftermarket springs will never be put on. I will however do SFC's if needed.

I agree that some lag is good at times. I can stall the car up to 2800 now so going with a turbo I can be making boost off the line unlike the ATI. As long as I get my mid 11's I'm happy (for now at least).

Either one will give me better drivablilty. It's just what is better...

ATI set up with stock power under 3000 RPM's. Low maintenance, better gas milage than the turbo, turbo whine and a cool look under the hood.

Or an STS with more torque. Turbo lag, not so good gas milage, raspy loud exhaust and maintenance needed.

I thought choosing an FI set up would be easier... but then again I didn't know much about them till now.
Old 07-13-2006, 05:02 PM
11 Second Club

its just in what you want. I wanted an STS kit but didnt like the sound. I wasnt willing to comprimise on sound. So I went with a Procharger.
Old 07-13-2006, 07:21 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BYUNSPEED
Yes I saw that. I wouldn't mind doing it if we could get some better quality turbos and BOV's (not trying to be rude). It's a very nice budget kit, though I feel I would need some better parts so I would feel it's more reliable.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

I'm going with the sts

Quick Reply: ATI or Turbo For An Auto