Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2006, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default STS Turbo

I am looking at a camaro ss to buy. has an sts rear mounted turbo kit on it. The owner told me it has 4.25" of ground clearance where the turbo sits. This seems to me to be a ridiculously horrible ground clearance. I live in PA and the roads arent flat and between that and speed bumps I am seriously concerned. Should I be? What do you guys think.. and if you have the STS rear mounted kit, how much ground clearance do you have? Are there any ways that this 4.25" can be increased? Thanks
Old 07-12-2006, 10:35 PM
Restricted User

my custom rear mount has way worse clearance than that...mostly because its a bigger turbo but either way--->its not as bad as you think...4.25" is alot if you think about it... just checkout pictures and make sure you can live with the clearance it has..again either way you gotta be careful
Old 07-12-2006, 10:53 PM
On The Tree

is there room for adjustment or is it pretty much stuck where its at?
Old 07-13-2006, 02:03 AM
9 Second Club

Talk to Billy at TRT Performance... I can show you pics of my setup or just go to his... its not that bad (clearance) if your car isnt lowered 2". I have still never hit my turbo on anything.... and I eat 99.9% of anything on the road.
Old 07-13-2006, 02:28 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Well, I've yet to hit the turbo on anything. I have scraped the pipe by the K-member on a couple speedbumps.....at least until installed a front mount intercooler (which improved the front ground clearance.)

My advice....avoid speedbumps (that's what I do). I HIGHLY doubt the roads in Pa are worse than the ones here in Hawaii.....which are the worst in the nation. So I wouldn't worry about the uneven roads.

Just my $0.02, but by your post it seems to me you don't really want this car. So....a SC or a HC car might be more to your taste. Could be wrong....but that's how your post appears to me.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:01 AM
On The Tree

No I am very interested in the car I just worry because I had a 97 Cobra which had LT headers on that hung low, left me with approx 5.25" of ground clearance and I had trouble with that.
Old 07-13-2006, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

sent you a p.m.