Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

valvetrain noise, in my procharged coupe

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2006, 11:38 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valvetrain noise, in my procharged coupe

ok guys i hope this doesn't come up as 2 posts but my last one didn't seem to work too well for me.. so if it does just ignore this one.. ok so my car still has a stock head with stock springs lifters and rockers.. the pushrods are hardened and it has a pretty wild MTI cam, and ofcoarse the procharger.. so i have a noise in my valvetrain where you can here it clicking as the cam opens and closes the valves.. the noise comes and goes periodically, i have a set of titianium lifters that i have been told will correct the problem, i was wondering if that is true , and also if i need to upgrade springs and rockers too?? right now i've been shifting at 6k to prevent damage, but with the valvetrain straight can i push it closer to 7k ? or do i need forged internals to attempt that ? ? thanks for you help

brad
Old 07-26-2006, 11:45 AM
TECH Enthusiast

My c5 does the same thing, I have the Vortech kit. At idle occasionally you can hear the ticking loudly through the long tubes. Is that what you are talking about?
Old 07-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Teching In

yea thats exactly what i'm talking about ... what type of valvetrain mods do you run ???
Old 07-26-2006, 12:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

why the hell are you running a "pretty wild MTI cam" with stock springs????when you do a cam swap you need springs/retainers,you've already done pushrods.a bigger cam will open the valves sooner and bigger and leave them open longer.i wouldnt drive the car with out a spring swap.your lucky you havent lost your motor yet by leaving the valves hanging open
Old 07-26-2006, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tarheel_s/c
yea thats exactly what i'm talking about ... what type of valvetrain mods do you run ???

Box stock 2000 LS1 with the PRC dual springs/retainers/TSP pushrods. Stock cam and heads though. The ticking noise is common, however ^^^ is right, you need springs and retainers for almost ANY cam swap.
Old 07-26-2006, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Titanium Lifters? Didn't know they had them, seen titanium locks though?
Old 07-26-2006, 05:25 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamnut
Titanium Lifters? Didn't know they had them, seen titanium locks though?

I was thinking the same thing. Hope this guy knows the difference, but seeing his cam/spring combo, I doubt it. Might wanna seek professional help.
Old 07-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Teching In

hey guys... before you judge so quickly.. i was mistaken about the springs.. i had assumed since i was not told about them when i bought the car that he had not upgraded them.. that was completely my bad.. it has a set of comp springs installed in it.. but lifters i have are also comp.. they are not titanium.. i had thought that he had said that but i never thought it made sense putting in titanium lifters in an all aluminum motor.. and i think the clicks will be fine.. i'm just hoping that these lifters will help the noise.. i guess i was just looking to see if any of ya'll had the same experience...
Old 07-27-2006, 08:12 AM
ss1
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tarheel_s/c
right now i've been shifting at 6k to prevent damage, but with the valvetrain straight can i push it closer to 7k ?brad
7000rpm is more than i'd be willing to rev a stock bottom end. Mine hits the limiter at 6200-6300rpm, but I try to shift at 6000 just to play it safe...and I have better than stock rod bolts.

As far as the valvetrain noise goes, I have it too and have learned to just get use to it. I think my exhaust and blower noise help to tune it out a little so I don't think about it all the time.