Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

good valvesprings for sts

Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default good valvesprings for sts

well i'm about to order my sts kit, and i was wondering which valvesprings to use for a dd that are strong as f### since i will eventually turn up the boost! i currently have ls6 springs, and am gonna take out my hotcam this weekend, and replace it with the stock cam so i might as well replace the springs as well. any suggestions are appreciated! thanks.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have Patriot Gold double springs on sale for $240.00 shipped.
Old 07-27-2006, 02:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have the perfect answer for u, its what im doign with my turbo build, Patriot duals (amazing springs, very safe to have duals) and dont put that stock cam back in! get urself a $150 used or $240 brand new ZO6 cam (LS6) they are great cams with boost
Old 07-27-2006, 05:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
well i'm about to order my sts kit, and i was wondering which valvesprings to use for a dd that are strong as f### since i will eventually turn up the boost! i currently have ls6 springs, and am gonna take out my hotcam this weekend, and replace it with the stock cam so i might as well replace the springs as well. any suggestions are appreciated! thanks.
Aren't ramp rates, lift, and max engine speeds the determining factor for valve springs? I don't see how any forced induction system would have any play in the matter. :think:

I'm running the patriots now, and I'll run them in my new motor as well. Def. a quality piece.

Z06 cam would work, but you can go bigger without sacrificing drivability. If you're already tuning it (which you have to for the boost) then I'd do that.
Old 07-27-2006, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Please don't put the stock cam back in...very limiting. If u want advice on a very effective yet mild STS cam, PM....very streetable
Old 07-28-2006, 12:56 AM
10 Second Club

well i'm putting the stock cam in because i want it to run fine before i install the sts. right now i'm running the hotcam with no tune and it runs like ****, and the nearest tune is 3+ hours drive. would the car run with a z06 cam and stock tuning? at least so i'm able to put on the sts kit and tow it for a tune. if that is possible then i would definately do that. thanks guys!
Old 07-28-2006, 05:09 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Comp 918's. We run them at 20lbs of boost on a stock Cam STS vehicle without issues
Old 07-28-2006, 06:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
well i'm putting the stock cam in because i want it to run fine before i install the sts. right now i'm running the hotcam with no tune and it runs like ****, and the nearest tune is 3+ hours drive. would the car run with a z06 cam and stock tuning? at least so i'm able to put on the sts kit and tow it for a tune. if that is possible then i would definately do that. thanks guys!
When are you installing the STS? From here it looks like you're about to this:

- Cam swap because the car isn't tuned
- Install turbo
- Tune car

Instead, do this if the STS install is less than a month away (or so):

- Order a cam that's good for the STS. 216-224 duration on the intake and a 115-118 LSA would drive almost like stock with a tune.
- Install STS and new cam
- Tune car

Or this if the STS install is more than a month away (or so):

- Go to the place that's going to do your post-STS tune now, and ask them if you pay for the tune up front (and bring the car in later with the STS), will they do an idle/low speed tune with the hotcam to keep you going for the time until you get the STS. No dyno time or anything, just a quickie. The car won't be good for racing but you're about to change all that anyway so who cares? Then do the part above ^^
Old 07-28-2006, 04:23 PM
10 Second Club

ok the sts install is probably about 2 weeks away, i was planning on ordering the kit next week while my mechanic did my camswap.. then when the kit came in i was gonna have it installed so then i could get the whole thing tuned. the nearest tuner to me is a 3+ hour drive so i was planning making that trip only once. ok i'm gonna go with the patriot duals, but now it comes down to the cam. should i just go with the stock cam or upgrade? is it really worth it?
Old 07-28-2006, 04:29 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would STRONGLY recommend buying the gold spring kit from Billy @ TRT. The guy is awesome to work with and you CANNOT beat it for the price! I sold my 918's to get the gold spring kit from him.
Old 07-29-2006, 06:45 AM
On The Tree

I have decided to go with a bit stiffer spring in my LS2 [which has the LS6 springs stock] as I'm changing over from STS to the GenTT [twin front mount out of Australia]. They use the 918's a good bit, and that had been my plan. I am considering using the Patriots, or the PRC out of TX Speed. I guess I'm wondering if this is more pressure than needed.

I've done a good bit of searching, and cannot really tell much diff between the PRC duals, Patriot duals, and some of the 'name brands'. Any thoughts on that? Do all of these come with everything [locks, seats, etc.]?

Also I will swap to some stiffer pushrods so I'm looking around for packages.
Old 07-29-2006, 09:58 AM
On The Tree

The Patriots are an amazing product, I don't see how you could go wrong with them, and I've never seen anyone say bad things about them. Affordable too.

@RooRnZ28: Without a doubt, get a custom cam.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: good valvesprings for sts