Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006, 08:39 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.

Decided to go with the Alky Control system. I really like the quality of the system....and I'm picky....brass connections, mil spec wiring connections, everything you need including wire ties, etc...very complete kit. Julio Don is also very impressive....he knows alky.

Anyway, attached are the install pics...mine is a little custom since it's for an Incon set-up. Went in easy. I'm using a single M15 nozzle since I'm tuning for 12.2AF without alky and then add enough alky to bring the AF down to 11.2AF or so....depends on how much temp drop I get vs losing hp due to a rich mixture. Tuning this way will not give all the benefits of alky, but will be safe if I loose a connection, etc and it quits spraying.

Quick test was impressive with a small amount of injection. I blocked off the airflow to the IC to reduce its effect. Then I maxed the turbo boost out to 16.4psi so they bring over 300F to the IC. Second gear run from 2000rpm to 6000 rpm. 80F Ambient. Controller only set to flow 50%....so I have a lot more alky left to try.

AF dropped from 11.8 to 11.4....so I have more tuning to do that will allow more alky flow. This is good news.

Without alky IAT's climbed +34 degrees F.

With alky IAT's climbed +11 degrees F. NO KR.

The way the Alky Control Pac controller ramps the flow up, makes it easy to tune with rpm vs pe.

This will really help me since my turbos are outside the eff island and bring a lot of heat to the IC...I'm happy.

The run with alky picked the boost up 1/2 psi to 16.9 for some reason...either more dense air or a boost controller issue.
Attached Thumbnails Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.-img_0372-medium-.jpg   Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.-img_0374-medium-.jpg   Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.-img_0376-medium-.jpg   Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.-img_0377-medium-.jpg   Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.-img_0378-medium-.jpg  

Old 08-03-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Very nice, yeah the Alky kit is quality!
Old 08-03-2006, 08:43 AM
Coal Mining Director

couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.-img_0379-medium-.jpg   Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.-img_0443-medium-small-.jpg  
Old 08-03-2006, 09:28 AM
12 Second Club

last time i installed an alcky kit on a turbo car it raised the boost as well....i am thinking its because more dense air but not really sure...it was fine with us because it brought the boost from 8psi to 9psi....and after a few test runs we raised it to 22psi (not an fbody) the car runs amazing with a tiny sidemount and the alcky.....and a ton of boost...

i will be adding it to my camaro once i get a build motor...basically just to keep the motor on the safer side...and to gain some power

kit looks great

side note...what is the big tube comming for what looks to be the oil pan area?
Old 08-03-2006, 10:02 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That "tube" is probably the turbo drain.

I had one of Julios kits on my GN, very nicely built setup. On the Buicks its even nicer than the other because he integrates the dash lights into the system. Julio is a Buick guy, so I'm pretty sure his first kits were oriented around that.

I might have to get one for my camaro, we'll see if I need it......
Old 08-03-2006, 11:09 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks Good Tom, I'm curious to see if its worth anything at the track. Nice install as usual..
Old 08-03-2006, 12:10 PM
10 Second Club

Very nice install, and a clean ride ! Is that the 2 qt. tank ?
Old 08-03-2006, 12:43 PM
Coal Mining Director

The line at the oilpan is the turbo oil line.

2 quart tank.

I'm curious too kp about et....my re dyno says about 0.10
Old 08-05-2006, 10:47 AM
On The Tree

Increase the gain on the controller some more and pull a little more fuel out.

It will come together. Your timimng can also be bumped up a few degree's as well.

Keep at it.. anything.. hollar
Old 08-05-2006, 10:56 AM

Julio is da man! Ill be getting one of his setups when I get this thing built.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:11 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine skews the a/f. Lean it out a tick and see if it picks up. My best runs have been at an indicated 11.8-12.2...was scared to go leanre but got no KR
Old 08-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by cablebandit
Mine skews the a/f. Lean it out a tick and see if it picks up. My best runs have been at an indicated 11.8-12.2...was scared to go leanre but got no KR
Thanks, I need a little more tuning time so I can max the meth flow out and lean it up top.
Old 08-06-2006, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

yep Julio is a great guy.
Old 08-06-2006, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Country Boy
Julio is da man! Ill be getting one of his setups when I get this thing built.
I miss ya brother... cant wait to see ya again..
Old 08-06-2006, 06:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by onfire
Thanks, I need a little more tuning time so I can max the meth flow out and lean it up top.
Trying to pump too much methanol in can sometimes create a loss in power. You have to watch the vehicles performance and then make adjustments. Its not like nitrous whereas you keep increasing the volume.. it keeps picking up.. once you get to a certain point, you will oversaturate the air and nose down. Wont detonate.. but it will drop HP.

The two things I watch for is knock activity and intake air temps. I keep squeezing timing and leaning on air fuel while IAT's and knock activity. If your IAT's are slammed and the your not picking up any KR.. time to put somemore squeeze on it. Typically your 1/8-1/4 MPH pickup tells the tale. When you make adjustments if the pickup on the tial end goes up.. your in the rite direction.

Some WB sensors will behave weird with methanol, some wont. Use your numbers to chart progress. I tune my own car at 11.2:1. I was watching Cal H. tune his Buick and his target was 11.0.. He ran 8.7's on Drag Radials.. so the lower you can keep that target and still make bookoo power.. so be it. It may give you that little extra piece of insurance.

Typically if you pull 10% of fuel, you now replace it with 20% alcohol. It takes twice as much alky to make the power of gasoline. Now if your target is 12.0.. remember that methanol has a stoich of approx 7.0:1.. That means your target has now gone down due to the "other" type of fuel thrown in. So bringing the target down is a safe way to figure your car out. If leaning it out doesnt make more HP(trap speed).. leave it nice and fat.

I'll gladly give up 10-15 HP if it keeps my setup from meltdown. So dont get stressed over air fuel too much.. but also dont lean it out unless you have supporting data that shows the MPH is climbing and knock activity is at ZERO.

HTH
Old 08-06-2006, 11:32 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Julio
Trying to pump too much methanol in can sometimes create a loss in power. You have to watch the vehicles performance and then make adjustments. Its not like nitrous whereas you keep increasing the volume.. it keeps picking up.. once you get to a certain point, you will oversaturate the air and nose down. Wont detonate.. but it will drop HP.

The two things I watch for is knock activity and intake air temps. I keep squeezing timing and leaning on air fuel while IAT's and knock activity. If your IAT's are slammed and the your not picking up any KR.. time to put somemore squeeze on it. Typically your 1/8-1/4 MPH pickup tells the tale. When you make adjustments if the pickup on the tial end goes up.. your in the rite direction.

Some WB sensors will behave weird with methanol, some wont. Use your numbers to chart progress. I tune my own car at 11.2:1. I was watching Cal H. tune his Buick and his target was 11.0.. He ran 8.7's on Drag Radials.. so the lower you can keep that target and still make bookoo power.. so be it. It may give you that little extra piece of insurance.

Typically if you pull 10% of fuel, you now replace it with 20% alcohol. It takes twice as much alky to make the power of gasoline. Now if your target is 12.0.. remember that methanol has a stoich of approx 7.0:1.. That means your target has now gone down due to the "other" type of fuel thrown in. So bringing the target down is a safe way to figure your car out. If leaning it out doesnt make more HP(trap speed).. leave it nice and fat.

I'll gladly give up 10-15 HP if it keeps my setup from meltdown. So dont get stressed over air fuel too much.. but also dont lean it out unless you have supporting data that shows the MPH is climbing and knock activity is at ZERO.

HTH
Thanks for the tips.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

Ordered my alky control meth kit today... Cant wait for it to arrive...
Old 12-29-2010, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onfire
couple more pics
Holy braided lines and intake tubing connectors!!!

With that nice *** custom piping you've got running up b4 the manifold, why not just run the pipe all the way to the intake, eliminating all the fernco style connectors? Then you can run ur braided lines to the nozzles on the underside of the piping for meth so you wont even see it....Idk just thinking out-loud as the car looks nice but when you pop the hood, that's the first thing you see you know?

Good luck with the newly found power and cooling abilities!
Old 12-29-2010, 07:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Jinkies Batman, thread from teh dead, On another note, i think im ordering a meth kit as well
Old 12-29-2010, 09:15 AM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by Fb0dy0nly
Holy braided lines and intake tubing connectors!!!

With that nice *** custom piping you've got running up b4 the manifold, why not just run the pipe all the way to the intake, eliminating all the fernco style connectors? Then you can run ur braided lines to the nozzles on the underside of the piping for meth so you wont even see it....Idk just thinking out-loud as the car looks nice but when you pop the hood, that's the first thing you see you know?

Good luck with the newly found power and cooling abilities!
Slightly different plumbing after 4 years....
Attached Thumbnails Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.-hawk2-large-.jpg  

Quick Reply: Alky Control Methanol Injection install pics and results.