Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

just purchased blown z06- what do you think of this setup?

Old 08-06-2006, 09:05 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default just purchased blown z06- what do you think of this setup?

The car first got stage 2 heads & cam (with C2 cam) from MTI, then later had "A+A Corvette Performance Procharger with FMSI" installed (apparently they use a different intercooler system that is placed "better" than procharger's system). The PCM was tuned by one of the mail-order companies. Has dyno sheet with 605 rwhp. Injectors, fuel pump and all the usuals (including exhaust) got upgraded. Boost kicks in at around 3000 rpm. Below this, it runs pretty rich (LTFTs around -10) and I haven't really checked them while running hard (have owned the car only 2 days now).
My questions are, does this setup (MTI heads/cam with the sc) sound okay, anything I should consider doing to make sure I get the most longevity out of it?
Thanks,
Old 08-06-2006, 09:20 AM
10 Second Club

sounds good but I'm sure there is more power to be made out of her. Mail order tunes are not the way to go especially in forced induction, too much to gamble there. It it sounding like Andy put a front mount intercooler instead of the two little intercoolers that go in the front wheel wells on the stock kit.

If I'm not mistaken the C2 cam is a 224 square cam which won't hurt performance. You may want to switch to a cam designed for supercharging but again its not needed.

Other than that the car should be a beast to drive.

Do you know what your compression is? How bout timing?
Definitely bring it it to get tuned to know where the car is as far as air fuel and timing. sounds like its on a stock bottom end. keep timing conservative at 16-18 max and keep your air fuel around 11.5-11.8:1

You can always add methanol for extra insurance its up to you.

Other than that to ensure longevity you'll want a forged bottom end but you should be fine.
Old 08-06-2006, 10:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow sounds like a solid set up. make sure that bottom end holds and enjoy
Old 08-06-2006, 12:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
sounds good but I'm sure there is more power to be made out of her. Mail order tunes are not the way to go especially in forced induction, too much to gamble there. It it sounding like Andy put a front mount intercooler instead of the two little intercoolers that go in the front wheel wells on the stock kit.

If I'm not mistaken the C2 cam is a 224 square cam which won't hurt performance. You may want to switch to a cam designed for supercharging but again its not needed.

Other than that the car should be a beast to drive.

Do you know what your compression is? How bout timing?
Definitely bring it it to get tuned to know where the car is as far as air fuel and timing. sounds like its on a stock bottom end. keep timing conservative at 16-18 max and keep your air fuel around 11.5-11.8:1

You can always add methanol for extra insurance its up to you.

Other than that to ensure longevity you'll want a forged bottom end but you should be fine.
The guy from whom I bought the car wasn't sure what the compression was with the head change but believes it's the same as stock (10.5:1) and I didn't even think to ask about timing. There is an A/F gauge on the A pillar and it seems to run between 14-15 during regular driving and I haven't paid attention to it at WOT. The boost gauge goes up to about 8psi at WOT.
I'll plan on having it retuned at some point. Will a dyno tune suffice for both WOT and daily driving scenarios or does someone need to drive around with me using a laptop and LS1 edit or something?
It also throws a code for rich condition after driving for a while which he said is just part of the necessary evil of the sc. Can this be "reprogrammed" with a tune?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would take it to a good tuner and have the car checked out.....
make sure its not running lean on the top end.... (boom)

i was about to buy a 535rwhp Z06, then i did a pre-purchase inspection, and found out it had a fuel issue and only put down 475rwhp.
no thanks.

so get a SAFE tune..... maybe back it down to 550rwhp, unless you have the $$$ set aside for a short block.

congrats!....

were are the pics/vids!?
Old 08-06-2006, 01:06 PM
10 Second Club

yea you can tune it on the dyno just fine. make sure they dyno it a half point richer on the dyno cause you lean out on the street.

any qualified tuner that knows how to tune with HP tuners or EFI live should be able to take care of you.

Being rich is good, but not too rich where it fouls your plugs out and kills your economy.

What part of the US are you from? there are plenty of good tuners that are sponsors here.
Old 08-06-2006, 02:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

I agree with the above posts. Get a good safe tune. Also ECS's Meth injection system is a good safety measure on a stock bottom end if you want some added protection. I would do no more than 14-15 degs of timing at WOT and keep the fuel AFR around 11.2-11.5 to one with the stock bottom as well...

In the Dallas area there is RPM, LG motorsports and 21stcenturymusclecars that have alot of supercharger tuning experience...

Last edited by chriswtx; 08-06-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Got Me SOM
yea you can tune it on the dyno just fine. make sure they dyno it a half point richer on the dyno cause you lean out on the street.

any qualified tuner that knows how to tune with HP tuners or EFI live should be able to take care of you.

Being rich is good, but not too rich where it fouls your plugs out and kills your economy.

What part of the US are you from? there are plenty of good tuners that are sponsors here.
Sorry, I added my location to my profile (Dallas TX area). Looks like at WOT A/F is in the low 11s, LTFTs are 0 but I did get a few degrees of knock retard on a couple of runs.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:03 PM
Staging Lane

sounds like a beast either way, definitly get a good tune, Conleys Performance can get you where you want to be. Ask for Jeff or Chris, they will hook a guy up.
Old 08-06-2006, 04:04 PM
Staging Lane

Forgot, that is in Houston TX, hopefully where you are
Old 08-06-2006, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DrChuck23
It also throws a code for rich condition after driving for a while which he said is just part of the necessary evil of the sc. Can this be "reprogrammed" with a tune?
That's BS. You don't have to put up with that. Yes, it most definitely can be corrected with a proper tune.
Old 08-06-2006, 05:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

it needs a real tune as soon as u can, and in my opinion which in this case u wont proably want to hear is that u should dial it down alittle, 605 to the wheels on a stock block is asking alot out of it..... i would say more like 530-570 will be better in the long run

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: just purchased blown z06- what do you think of this setup?