Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What could the problem be, if any...?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2006, 06:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What could the problem be, if any...?

At the track the other day I ran my car 4 times and she stayed constant at about 220F. No overheating was present. I use half water & half the reccomended antifreeze. The next day i took my car around town for a short cruise, then checked the fluids. When i checked the coolant level, I couldnt even see the water/ antifreeze inside the radiator. What could cause this? Head gasket? Evaporation? Is my engine just thirsty?

To diagnose this problem better, I have a bunch of "water spots" on my intercooler tubes on top of the engine. It appears that the water is somehow spurting or leaking out of the radiator cap...

Now, I'm no genius at a cooling system or trouble shooting this problem but it would appear to make sense that if the boiling point of dihyrdogen monoxide (water... haha) is 212F and according to my computer the water temp was constant around 220F. Could the water be evaporating? Or could the water be escaping through a leak?

Anyone experience this with a forced induction setup? - My cooling system remains stock and I have a FMIC infront of the radiator.

J
Old 08-09-2006, 08:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well to answer your first question. Water does boil at 212F, however once you add the coolant to the water is raises the boiling point of water dramatically. The same goes for freezing. While water freezes at 32F the coolant also lowers this temp dramatically.

If you can see dried coolant on your intercooler pipes you could have a bad hose clamp. I just fixed three clamps on my car that were leaking. The old pinch style hose clamps, once removed, never clamp with the same amount of force again. So you may need to replace them with the worm style clamps.

You other options are the car is burning coolant, which it could be, or if you are boosting high enough you could be lifting the heads and overpressurizing the coolant system; in which case you would see excess coolant in your recovery tank. Check your tank and see how much coolant you have in there