Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

update on my crank reference problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 04:50 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on my crank reference problem

Well I replaced all my plugs, TR6 gapped @ 28, got the timing light out and verified that my timing was correct (The crank value in BS3 was off by about 10)

Then I fixed my tune, now the car seems to make a lot more power, before it would not really spin in 2'nd and just a little in 1'st. Now it spins like crazy, even when I warm up the slicks it won't hook at all.

Now for the bad, I was making a pass and right about 5k-5.5k the motor just died, and when I got slowed down it was still running a little but I turned it off, after inspecting everything turned it over and it ran just like normal. I've heard this can happen with the crank wheel problem.

So is the next step to purchase a external pick up wheel?
Old 08-19-2006, 08:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

john will ask that you log crank sync, and see if it is loosing sync during the run, if it is then you could be skipping crank teeth, but you could also just have the cam retarded too much or even some trash on the cam or crank sensor..or like me suspect a worn timing chain.

mine has never ran abnormal after loosing sync however, i dunno why not.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:21 AM
9 Second Club

Is this a normal problem with BS3? 10 degrees off? Ouch that can hurt bad on a FI car Let me know because Im about to install BS3 on my buddies car and would like to know any tricks or problems you guys are having. He bought it with the plug and play LS1 harness
Old 08-19-2006, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

its not 'normal' it just means that it was never configured correctly from the get go during installation.

you have to adjust this cop value in the computer so that commanded advance matches actual crank advance
Old 08-19-2006, 11:55 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
its not 'normal' it just means that it was never configured correctly from the get go during installation.

you have to adjust this cop value in the computer so that commanded advance matches actual crank advance
Thanks MM
Old 08-19-2006, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

There is a local guy here in Detroit who had a similar problem (BS3 not reading crank signal past 4500 or so. Eventually he went to an external and it runs great now. I wouldn't waste too much time before making the the external, the guy I know chased the problem for months.

-Geoff