Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Odd question about STS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2006, 08:47 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Odd question about STS

Everyone keeps saying that the base STS kit runs out of steam pretty easily so I got to thinking what if I were to run the base STS kit with their t60 for now and then later on get another STS turbo and run them in a twin setup? Would two of the base STS turbos work well in a twin rear mount setup? What if I were to run the base kit for now and then use the T60 in a custom twin front mount kit? Would the base STS T60 turbos be well suited in a twin front mount setup?
Old 08-22-2006, 09:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hmm, no-one touching this one?
The base 60-1 is not always the issue with running out of steam. We have had one make over 500. It could be a valve spring issue or tuning or etc...
Two 60-1 turbos in front would be great IMO. Twins in the rear using 60-1's with smaller turbine housings would work too, but how well I dont know.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

probably not a lot of room in the back to run true duals to the back to hook up two trubos and run pipes back.... lot of custom stuff which is gonna cost serious cash. you can always upgrade the turbo and do other things for more power.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
probably not a lot of room in the back to run true duals to the back to hook up two trubos and run pipes back.... lot of custom stuff which is gonna cost serious cash. you can always upgrade the turbo and do other things for more power.
well they do have TT STS kits for the vettes...so its possible...
Old 08-22-2006, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

It has also been done on an f-body.
Old 08-22-2006, 10:44 PM
TECH Resident

Ive seen the thread on the custom sts style kit on the fbod but wasn't sure if the guy was using the STS 60-1 turbo or a different turbo all together. Instead of running a true dual setup I was thinking more along the lines of keeping the y pipe design and then branching it when it gets near the turbos. I guess making it an "I" pipe. then doing the same for the cold side air pipe instead of running two separate return pipes merge them and run a single pipe back to the IC.

I like the idea of the base STS 60-1 turbos being used in a twin kit up front but I dont know much about the numbers/housing sizes and how well they would work up front. Correct me if im wrong but the sts turbos have smaller exhaust housings to compensate for them being so far back so would a pair of the 60-1s be good up front or would the smaller exhaust housing choke them when setup in a twin front mount?

I guess more info would be needed about the engine. I had been planning on keeping stock cubes or near stock. Prob 370 at max.

I ask this because the STS seems like a great entry level kit that would keep me entertained for a while on the stock engine but I dont want it to hold me back later on down the road when I build up the motor and I'd rather not ditch the whole thing when I decide to step it up.

Last edited by dementia; 08-22-2006 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trtturbo
Hmm, no-one touching this one?
The base 60-1 is not always the issue with running out of steam. We have had one make over 500. It could be a valve spring issue or tuning or etc...
Two 60-1 turbos in front would be great IMO. Twins in the rear using 60-1's with smaller turbine housings would work too, but how well I dont know.
I ran rear twins t3/t4e's (essentially 60-1's) ran low 11's at 7-8 lbs....... It was a whole new world at 20 lbs... but I blew a turbo before I hit the 1320. They tucked in real high.. mounted one each side.. way higher than stock STS location.

Last edited by Jammer; 08-22-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Nice thats what I like to hear. Got any more pics of your setup? Whats your engine setup like? I wasnt planning on running crazy boost like that, 20lbs is just nuts. I'd like to run 7-8 lbs on the stock block and keep that for a while. In the mean time working on some other areas of the car. Much later down the road after a built motor works its way into the picture I'd like to shoot for 650-750rwhp on pump.
Old 08-23-2006, 12:04 AM
TECH Junkie

another pic...motor is a 409 ci Iron/ all forged/ and so on...

I recently sold the whole kit for less than a standard STS kit too!
Old 08-23-2006, 04:41 AM
TECH Resident

What did it cost you to piece that setup together? That thing is awesome.

This was the twin rear mount that got me thinking about all of this. Yours was a 409 though so the motor will have a bit more pushing those turbos.
Old 08-23-2006, 09:14 AM
TECH Junkie

The turbos were desifned with a 370 ci in mind though. It cost about 7k for the kit... and , well...another chunk for the supporting elements.
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
well they do have TT STS kits for the vettes...so its possible...
have you looked under a vette? ahve you looked under a fbody? there IS A REASON WHY ONE CAR COMES WITH TRUE DUAL EXHAUST STOCK ADN THE OTHER DOESN'T!!!

ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE IF YOU HAVE CASH...WHICH IS WHY I SAID IT WOULD BE REALLY EXPENSIVE!