Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is there some super secret trick to V band clamps?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2006, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Is there some super secret trick to V band clamps?

I cant get these things to line up for **** on my hot parts. Is there some trick to it? I have like 4 different joints that have to line up and I can get one and then another one doesnt line up. How do you do it with only 2 hands?!?!?!

Why cant people just use slip joints anymore?
Old 09-03-2006, 06:57 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I unbolted the whole thing, held the 2 pieces together, made it like a C and then closed it over the two flanges and put the nut back on. It really is kind of a pain in the ***... Kind of hard to do it with only 2 hands, well, almost impossible, my turbosmart progate is the same way back there.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Carl,

If you have the kit I think you do, I know what you are talking about. You MUST get all of the pipes together with the V-band clamps snug, BUT loose enough to rotate the pipes. This way you can get them in the right position before you snug everything down.

If you try and link the pieces one section at a time, and crank them down, you will not get the last couple of connections to line up.

Also, make sure you have all of the bolts on the V-bands rotated into a position that you can crank on them in sequence bit by bit!

Good luck,
Glenn
Old 09-03-2006, 07:39 PM

you might know

Are the clamps supposed to close all the way up? I only got one to close, the rest have about a one inch gap at the T bolts. It looks like the joints are good though. I need an extra hand What a PITA for sure. Ive been rotating and messing with this for about 4 hours now.
Old 09-03-2006, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I had this conversation with Dalt...well you know! I told him that the clamps looked like they might bottom out. He said they won't bottom out and should come close.

Most of my clamps come REALLY close and some are about a half inch away. I can go and check them if you think it would help!

I was the first person to bolt this kit up last year! and it took some time...for sure!

PM me if you need other info!

Glenn
Old 09-03-2006, 08:21 PM

cool. I have one that is really close, but the rest have a good gap. Ill snap a pic tomorrow. The crossover is dead nuts against the bellhousing so I think that is some of the problem. I might have to dent it some The rest seems OK. They will only tighten as far as I have them. I already bent one of the t bolts
Old 09-03-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

The crossover can take quite a bit of denting, smashing even... AND I'm lowered. It can be done.
Old 09-03-2006, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

I had to flatten mine as well
good luck with the kit
Old 09-04-2006, 01:17 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was magically perfect... enough clearance that it didn't bang and high up enough to not be the lowest thing under the car. My car is stock height.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:34 AM

Im lowered too, but only 1" from Hotchkis springs. It seems like the kit was made for automatics since they have a different bellhousing. Everything fits good and looks awesome, just a major PITA.. ll probably play with it more today. Id hate to get it all together and then have a leak. I still think slip joints would be better for adjustability.

Quick Reply: Is there some super secret trick to V band clamps?