Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Has anyone ever had any issues with their alternators while under boost?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 07:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Has anyone ever had any issues with their alternators while under boost?

I've been trying to narrow down the cause as to why my fuel pressure has been dropping while under boost. Just the other day I was driving around at night and observed that while getting into it in 2nd & 3rd gear at about 6 thousand rpm my head lights flashed and the fuel pressure drop to about 40 psi. I've seen the fuel pressure drop before, but this is the first time I have caught it doing it while I have had the lights on. The only reason I suspect my alternator is because during the summer while leaving the car at idel my check gauges indicator would turn on and the volt meter would drop below 13 into the yellow area. I would shut the air off and after a few minutes the volt meter would show it back to normal (13-14).. Is it possible that my alternator might actually stop charging and putting out any power while getting into boost??? Any help greatly appreciated.. Thanks Andy
Old 09-24-2006, 07:56 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had some issues until I upgraded to a Powermaster 150 amp alternator. Then all bad issues ceased.
Old 09-24-2006, 11:27 PM
TECH Resident

Were the issues similar to mine????
Old 09-25-2006, 05:25 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Andy, an alternator going bad could indeed cause the fuel pressure to drop. I'd swap it out right away. Bob

Quick Reply: Has anyone ever had any issues with their alternators while under boost?