Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

intake runner length affecting fuel distribution?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2006, 09:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default intake runner length affecting fuel distribution?

I've read over and over how the stock lsx and truck intakes create a situation where the 7 & 8 cylinders run leaner than the rest and can cause detonation problems and piston failure due to running lean. Supposedly this problem is solved by going to a single plane style intake manifold like the gmpp one. I have a few questions about this topic.

1. Is the problem with the stock intakes due to the different theoretical runner lengths for the cylinders?

2. Why wouldn't this still be a problem with a single plane? I know the runners are closer to the same length but the inboard ones are still smaller than the outboard ones...

3. I've heard that you wouldn't want to do a efi conversion on a dual plane intake manifold like the edelbrock one. Is this because it would have the same problems due to different runner lengths like the stock intake manifolds?

4. Does forced induction make the problem worse?

I'm asking this because I was considering doing a efi conversion on a dual plane manifold and was told not to do so, but couldn't be given a reason why.

Quick Reply: intake runner length affecting fuel distribution?