Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers
View Poll Results: Would you pay more for a turbo kit that kept A/C?
Yes
71.15%
No
28.85%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

What would you rather have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 12:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What would you rather have?

Just getting an idea for some future kits..
Would you guys rather pay more for a turbo kit if it kept the A/C? The reason for this question is it seems the only efficient way to keep the A/C and still have a reliable and high-performance turbo system would be to run a downpipe under the K-member... It can be done and not sacrifice a whole lot of ground clearance- it just has to be done with oval tubing, which is about twice as much per foot than round tubing..
Old 09-25-2006, 12:04 PM
Turbo Addict

I say just build the kit around a tubular k-member and include it in the kit...this way you have many more options to work with, keep the a/c and no piping below the k-member.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to make the same choice a year ago, and happily went with picking A/C... No pipes under the K-member though.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Problem with doing an aftermarket K-member is you kind of loose the "weekend bolt-on" aspect of the turbo kit. For most people, an aftermarket k-member is quite a task. We are trying to keep it simple.
Old 09-25-2006, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

what about like the tti log kit, the dp stays above the k member. im not saying make a log kit just run the dp that way. i belive a 3incher fits but not too sure it fits with out clearencing.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Addict

I had to go through a similar ordeal, and still are really!! I would rather have a kit retain the A/C since a non-a/c kit is doable quite easily, respectivily of course. Also, A/C is a must where i live and without it, there is nothing you can do to cure the sweaty seat syndrome...
Old 09-25-2006, 10:08 PM
Banned

I thought of the plusses when I found a new Incon kit for sale (keeps ac) but with my stock k-member you'd have to have the whole subframe on the ground to man-handle the ducting in place past the ac compressor. I was on jackstands so I just removed my ac compressor for now.

Oh well, I couldn't care less about ac... yes I wish it was still in the car, but it's not a big deal even though I have a kit that "keeps" ac.

If your kit keeps ac but it's a nightmare to install... fuggetaboutit. ~Joshua
Old 09-27-2006, 08:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the time it takes to install a k member is negligible compared to the time you will be dealing with dragging pipies around

you would need to disclaim "for stock ride height cars only" and you would probably still get complaints

you can lower a car an inch and get away with 2.5" piping in the armpits of the front end, but there is no solution to a downpipe
Old 09-27-2006, 10:25 AM

A turbo kit is no weekend install either..
Old 09-27-2006, 11:08 AM
Launching!

i think keeping the ac would be better i would pay a little more for it. But you could always give the option to keep or not to keep it and make every one happy
Old 09-28-2006, 02:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lock down
i think keeping the ac would be better i would pay a little more for it. But you could always give the option to keep or not to keep it and make every one happy
It would be a completely different design though, which is why pricing would be so different. It wouldnt really be an option, more of just a completely different kit.
Old 09-28-2006, 03:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TchargedLS1TA
Problem with doing an aftermarket K-member is you kind of loose the "weekend bolt-on" aspect of the turbo kit. For most people, an aftermarket k-member is quite a task. We are trying to keep it simple.
HPP sells twin turbo kits with a D&D k member. If those cobra guys dont mind im sure the f-body guys wont either. I know I wouldnt!
Old 09-28-2006, 04:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

I know a guy who said under no circumstances was his a/c to be removed from the car.
Old 09-28-2006, 04:47 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I will pay more for the a/c kit. Especially in the summer Texas heat.
Old 09-29-2006, 02:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

Installing a tubular K-member is not a difficult task, especially in the grand scheme of things most "weekend warriors" are capable of. Its no more difficult than, and perhaps easier than, installing a 12 bolt rear end. Its easier than installing a clutch. Its easier than installing a torque converter. You don't need a lift, no special tools are needed, and you don't need superhuman strength; you just block the motor up on a jack, remove and replace more or less. With a friend to help hold things, and a good set of instructions, the average shadetree guys could swap it in an hour or so.

I personally think you'd be shooting yourself in the foot with the added cost of tubing, lower ground clearance, and added complexity over just developing for and including a tubular K-member in the kit. If a customer is nervous about it but still wants to install the kit himself, most speed shops wouldn't charge an arm and a leg to swap the K-member and get the front end aligned. The added bonus is partially canceling out the weight gain of the turbocharger and related components.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My truck manifold system with a UMI K member did not allow clearance to run my DP (3.5") above the K member. It probably wouldn't have had clearance for a 3" DP either.
Old 09-29-2006, 06:40 PM
TECH Resident

I went to a blower cause i couldnt find at urbo kit that kept A/C and was what i found to be an acceptable design, and also in what i felt was a fair price range for the kit.
Old 09-29-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well thats one of the problems- most people think a fair price for a turbo kit is less than $1000...
Old 09-29-2006, 09:42 PM
On The Tree

If you guys could develop a kit that looked as good as high flos and can actually deliver on a design that keeps the ac you have a winner on your hands. Oh yeah and cost under 5 grand for the complete kit.

Quick Reply: What would you rather have?