Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What's an acceptable amount of shaft endplay?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 04:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's an acceptable amount of shaft endplay?

I was looking at the turbo today trying to get some measurements for a drain flange adaptor (can't find one) and I noticed that my compressor wheel has quite a bit of endplay to it. It seems to be more than I remembered when I first got it. Although the person I got it from took it to a shop to see if it needed a rebuild and it was given the thumbs up. He then had the exhaust housing coated and it has never been used since. It seems that the compressor wheel can be moved back and forth about 1mm in each direction. Not enough to touch the housing but it sure seems close. I know that when you have oil pressure running through them they will tighten up but just wondered if there is a general rule of thumb as to how much play is acceptable.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mine had about 1mm of play side to side, so if yours is bad then mine likely is too.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

i got my drain flange from jose at forced inductions.

mine had no side to side play in it...see if you can find a service manual for the turbo.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bowtieman81
Mine had about 1mm of play side to side, so if yours is bad then mine likely is too.
Isn't your up and running though? If so then I guess I'm alright for a while at least.

Originally Posted by Ping King
i got my drain flange from jose at forced inductions.
mine had no side to side play in it...see if you can find a service manual for the turbo.
I'll call Jose in the morning. No end play at all? I hope mine isn't on it's last leg. The shop it went to said it was ok as well as the seals.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:03 PM
TECH Resident

From what we have been told. Some side to side is OK. As long as it isn't hitting the housing. The oil pressure will center it. But you shouldn't have any in and out movement. I'm sure Jose will chime in though.
Old 09-26-2006, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
From what we have been told. Some side to side is OK. As long as it isn't hitting the housing. The oil pressure will center it. But you shouldn't have any in and out movement. I'm sure Jose will chime in though.
This is what I was told also, and this is what my turbo is bascially. And yes, mine is currently running and does not hit the housing at all.