Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger intercooler questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 09:18 AM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Procharger intercooler questions

I have a couple questions about the intercoolers that come with the Procharger kits...

1) What's the max boost I could expect to get in the Texas summer heat with these intercoolers without modifying the car?
2) Does anyone have any pictures of where they're mounted? I've found a few that allow me to infer where they're at, but I haven't actually seen their location, and I'd really like to.
3) What feeds air to the intercoolers on a T/A since they're to the sides of the radiator/condensor? Do the holes in the front facia below the turn signals send air through the intercoolers?

Thanks in advance, guys!
Old 09-28-2006, 10:40 AM
12 Second Club

1) Most people see 4-5psi with the stock 3.6 pulley on a stock motor. I've heard of people running the stock ATI twins up to ~15psi, but a FMIC is a lot better setup for big boost.

2)

3) Yes, the holes in the front facia underneath the intercoolers flow air onto the top of the intercooler and that little cavity back there gets blocked off with a trim piece to force the air through the intercoolers.

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)
Old 09-28-2006, 10:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad30th
2)

3) Yes, the holes in the front facia underneath the intercoolers flow air onto the top of the intercooler and that little cavity back there gets blocked off with a trim piece to force the air through the intercoolers.

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)

Uh, the air gets scooped UP by the black rubber flaps bolted to the bottom of the intercoolers. The air comes from beneath the car and out through the top of the intercoolers into the engine compartment and/or out through 'other' openings in the area.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

So, going 60mph, air is coming up through the intercooler from the flaps and out the front of the car through the facia ? :umm:

If anything it's going out through the back of the cavity back there into the engine compartment...

I'd speculate that more air comes in through the facia at speed than does up through the intercooler from the flaps - although the flaps would create pressure under the intercooler at speed, there would be corresponding pressure on top of the intercooler because of the incoming air from the facia...

Semantics I guess, but I believe some if not most of the air to the intercooler is coming in from the top via the facia.

Am I wrong ?

If the intercooler design is counting on the flaps to move air through the intercooler and up/out through the engine compartment (apparently with additional cooling and air movement from the facia air), wouldn't it be a better design to seal off the facia cavity and force the incoming air through the facia and pressure it down through the intercooler ? Why does the kit come with those trim pieces to seal the cavity ? With the air coming from the bottom, wouldn't you want that cavity not to be sealed to promote airflow through the intercooler ?

Rob (Bad30th)

Last edited by Bad30th; 09-28-2006 at 11:10 AM.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:10 AM
11Second Club

Thanks for the pic, Rob. That answers a lot of questions for me. I didn't even realize that the ICs were facing up/down instead of front/back on the car. Does anyone every bend those scoops forward some to make them work a little better?

Anyone else want to weigh in on the boost I could expect to safely get in Texas summer heat with these ICs?

The reason I ask is that I really don't like the look of the front-mounted ICs with the front facia opened up... at least, not on the T/As.
Old 09-28-2006, 11:31 AM
On The Tree

On my truck application, basically the same but with one IC in the center, I was told NOT to open up the bumper to promote flow.

Guy told me if that was done, the air coming up from the flap on the bottom would be fighting the air coming down from the opened up bumper essentially resulting in very little flow thru the IC. He told me they had tested it and it was a bad idea.

Like I said, this was not in an F body, but the idea should be the same. Have to pay close attention to flow when the IC is horizontal.
Old 09-28-2006, 01:26 PM
11Second Club

I really appreciate the responses on this, guys. I feel a lot more comfortable with the design now. It looks like it should work quite well. Very impressive.

Now... where can I get $6k+ fast? I guess I'll have to start selling tail on the street.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We typically see 12 psi of boost with the larger 4.5" intercoolers to be the limit, on the F body. These intercoolers do a much better job of keeping the inlet air temps down over the smaller 3.5" intercoolers that are standard with the P-1SC kits. On the P-1SC kits, the larger 4.5" intercoolers are an option, on the 1GJ204-SCI 8 rib D-1SC kit, the 4.5" intercoolers are standard.

With boost in the 8 to 12 psi range in the Texas heat, you won't have a problem with the 4.5" intercoolers.

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com/hotCars.php?car=62
We added an extra fan to the radiator of this car from El Paso, Texas, when we installed the ATI ProCharger. You might want to consider adding this fan. Bob

Quick Reply: Procharger intercooler questions