Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ATI SC users with Larger Filter setups in here

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 02:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ATI SC users with Larger Filter setups in here

I'm about to order the larger filter RU-1785 K&N and the small filter R-0640 than goes on the bypass return

The RU-1785 specs are:
Height 8.5 in, Inside Diameter 3.5in, Outside Diameter 5 in, Length 11 in.

The R-0640 specs are:
Flange Inside Diameter 1.5 in (38 mm)
Flange Length 1 in (25 mm)
Flange Type Angled
Height 2.75 in (70 mm)
Outside Length 4.5 in (114 mm)
Outside Width 3.75 in (95 mm)
Product Box Height 4.25 in (108 mm)
Product Box Length 4.63 in (117 mm)

Am I going to be ok running these two filters while I still have the stock Twin Intercoolers?

Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran a ru1785 with stock twins (the old smaller ones) and had no problems. I dont think you will have any either. Mine did bounce around and got dented up so I ran some foam to buffer it in a spot at the outward edge of the filter. On the other filter I ran a smaller one what # im not sure.
Old 10-02-2006, 04:25 PM
12 Second Club

Keep us posted - I'm still looking for someone to say what the correct part #s are that definately fit the ATI inlet hat and the twin intercooler setup before I re-order.

(...because I didn't read another thread closely enough I already ordered a $50 K&N that only fits ATI cars with FMIC and not the twins).

Guys that used the RU-1785, did you use the "accordion" tube or run it off the inlet hat ? Did you have to trim the accordion tube ?

...anybody have the "for sure this is the one that fits" part number for the little breather for the bottom hole on the inlet hat ?

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 10-02-2006, 04:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I ran it off the accordian tube with the twins, and off the hat with the fmic.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:29 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The little one that goes on the inlet hat is: http://knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=R-0640

I have been using this one for a while now, on a lowered car with no issues.

I also use this one with the front mounted intercooler: http://knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=RF-1004
I am not sure if this one fits with the crappy twins on there.
Old 10-02-2006, 09:02 PM
12 Second Club

RF1004 will NOT fit with the stock twin intercoolers. I have a slightly dented RF1004 sitting on my garage floor.

Thanks for the P/N for the little filter.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 10-03-2006, 12:58 AM
TECH Addict

Ok so from what the answers I'm getting the two parts numbers i listed should fit with no problems. Anyone have pics with the big filter installed running the Twin intercoolers.

Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 11:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I may be able to shed a little light... Forgive me, as I am new to this thing they call the internet but, I was tired of the anemic filter that comes with the ati kit. I bought a Fram Airhog filter #PRA8038 (after realizing that the one Urban Legend has may be a better fit because of the rubber lip that sticks out like the one it comes with, for an obvious better seal) Fittment is using all stock hard-ware, down to the accordian tubing it came with. I decided I was going to make this B.A. Filter fit so the only modification I had to do was cut out a section of a y-shapped bracket that held nothing to it, apperently it used too.? I had my mechanic inspect it and said that it looked good and it seems to be working just fine. I will try to get pics up by tomorrow evening, I need help from my computer savy ole lady lol... Still using the stock twins too.

Sorry for the diary but I think this is what you are asking for.? Yea, I even cut the bracket with my hacksaw blade and my bare hands, took about 3 hr... but I did it.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:23 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Red WS.6
I may be able to shed a little light... Forgive me, as I am new to this thing they call the internet but, I was tired of the anemic filter that comes with the ati kit. I bought a Fram Airhog filter #PRA8038 (after realizing that the one Urban Legend has may be a better fit because of the rubber lip that sticks out like the one it comes with, for an obvious better seal) Fittment is using all stock hard-ware, down to the accordian tubing it came with. I decided I was going to make this B.A. Filter fit so the only modification I had to do was cut out a section of a y-shapped bracket that held nothing to it, apperently it used too.? I had my mechanic inspect it and said that it looked good and it seems to be working just fine. I will try to get pics up by tomorrow evening, I need help from my computer savy ole lady lol... Still using the stock twins too.

Sorry for the diary but I think this is what you are asking for.? Yea, I even cut the bracket with my hacksaw blade and my bare hands, took about 3 hr... but I did it.

That would be helpful for any ATI user who wants to use a larger filter with the stock Twins.

Thanks

Last edited by LSs1Power; 10-03-2006 at 11:40 PM.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:39 PM
TECH Addict

After testing today on the Dyno we decied to go with EPP FMIC and the 90 degree 4" elbow with the 11 inch filter. The reason for this jump is back to back runs with the stock filter and hat Vs. hat alone with no filter Vs. No hat at all.

The results were 7rwhp only more with no filter and the stock hat Vs. 80rwhp more with no hat.

Conclusion,

The restriction is maily from the HAT and not the small filter. So that is why we are going with a FMIC which will force us to delete the A/C and do some cutting to fit the 90 degree 4" elbow instead of the small hat ATI supplies. Even if i gained 50rwhp with the FMIC and elbow that would be worth the cost of the mod alone.
Old 10-03-2006, 11:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hey Ls1 power, shoud I still post up the pic's for ya?
Old 10-03-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by The Red WS.6
Hey Ls1 power, shoud I still post up the pic's for ya?
Post it.... It would be helpful for everyone here

Thanks
Old 10-03-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Apprentice

Cool LSs1Power. I shoud have them up tomorrow evening.
Old 10-04-2006, 08:15 AM
10 Second Club

I'm not sure what the P/N is (it was on my GTO originally) but I have one about that size on my car. I did have to cut one corner of the cruise control module support bracket off to make it fit without any interferance. But it fits behind the I/C nicely now.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:10 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by WAHUSKER
I'm not sure what the P/N is (it was on my GTO originally) but I have one about that size on my car. I did have to cut one corner of the cruise control module support bracket off to make it fit without any interferance. But it fits behind the I/C nicely now.
It would be interesting to see if you gain anything by taking the hat off. You should do a test on a dyno before and after to confirm my findings. I bet you will pick up anywhere between 40-60rwhp at the least.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:15 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You may pick up peak HP numbers but the average across the board won't be much. A couple guys have actually tested this on the track and didn't gain much. That being said, more power is never a bad thing......
Old 10-04-2006, 05:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by TS6
You may pick up peak HP numbers but the average across the board won't be much. A couple guys have actually tested this on the track and didn't gain much. That being said, more power is never a bad thing......

The gain under the curve in my case is more than peak.

I saw KP track results and he is the only one that tested on the track and showed no difference.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Here are the attachments of the bigger air filter. I am no mechanic and won't claim to be one, however after approx. 10 thousand miles my cone filter was completely filthy and I decided to change it out for a bigger one. The link below is the result. I have not tested in any way, performance wise. I did notice a deeper exhaust note and a little quicker throttle response but that is it. Hope this helps.

http://community.webshots.com/user/theredws6
Old 10-04-2006, 11:10 PM
TECH Addict

Do you still have the Twin Intercoolers? I dont see them in pics.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, sir.