Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

T67 and methanol: predictions? Jose?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 12:04 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question T67 and methanol: predictions? Jose?

Let's say that a front-mount T67 at 10 psi with FMIC is getting the car to 600 rwhp and about 650 rwtq. There's some noise that might be from the turbo at high rpm's, though, leading to speculation that we're running out of the "good turf" on the compressor map.

Here's the question: if we apply methanol to this setup (via boost referenced AlkyControl) in order to ensure cooler IAT's, can we turn down the boost a little bit and still make the same or slightly better power without running off the efficient zone of the turbo? Maybe keep the turbo a little happier?

I've read that adding the methanol spray can result in an observed increase in boost, though, so maybe this will make things worse? Or will the added octane, lower IAT, and (a little) timing make the setup able to make the same level of power with a lower boost setpoint?

I guess it boils down to whether this alteration in the charge air temp/density AFTER the turbo will affect the way the turbo itself is functioning.

Opinions very much appreciated.

Rich
Old 10-04-2006, 12:44 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Effectively if you cool the IAT's then its the same as having a turbo running at a more efficient level. The turbo will still discharge at the same outlet temps, you are just bandaiding the compressor wheel to a certain degree. You will make a little more power at your current level by adding Meth on the simple fact alone the engine is seeing a cooler/denser inlet charge.

Jose
Old 10-04-2006, 10:21 PM
Restricted User

If you're not running an IC, put an IC on it and you will instantly see more power.

That is, if your overall goal is to make more power.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:08 AM
TECH Resident

There's a big FMIC on it already. But I'll assume (haven't plumbed the IAT sensor yet)
that my temps will still drop by a good bit with the methanol.

The goal is to make the same or slightly better power while remaining in the efficient range of this particular turbo... while going to a T76 is possible, I'd like to stick with the quicker spool on my T67.
Old 10-05-2006, 09:39 AM
Restricted User

Roger that, wasn't sure on the IC as it doesn't say any place in the post. Yes, your IAT's will definately drop with the alky injection. In turn, you will make a little more power.

From reading your post, I thought you were already using the alky and looking for more power. Late night post.
Old 10-07-2006, 06:10 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by RW99
Let's say that a front-mount T67 at 10 psi with FMIC is getting the car to 600 rwhp and about 650 rwtq. There's some noise that might be from the turbo at high rpm's, though, leading to speculation that we're running out of the "good turf" on the compressor map.

Here's the question: if we apply methanol to this setup (via boost referenced AlkyControl) in order to ensure cooler IAT's, can we turn down the boost a little bit and still make the same or slightly better power without running off the efficient zone of the turbo? Maybe keep the turbo a little happier?

I've read that adding the methanol spray can result in an observed increase in boost, though, so maybe this will make things worse? Or will the added octane, lower IAT, and (a little) timing make the setup able to make the same level of power with a lower boost setpoint?

I guess it boils down to whether this alteration in the charge air temp/density AFTER the turbo will affect the way the turbo itself is functioning.

Opinions very much appreciated.

Rich
Rich,
See the issue with IC is a pressure drop across it. I have seen on Mustangs a loss of 3-4 PSI by adding an IC on centrifugal blower.. and less power being made.

Once you start going out of your compressors efficiency range, it will generate more heat.. and the IAT will climb harder. Problem is the meth injection will bring your temps to ambient and you wont see this issue.

The easiest way I can explain it.. is to simply add boost and observe your MPH pickup at the same target AFR. If it keeps on climbing.. your making more power. If adding boost doesnt pickup MPH.. your out of the compressors efficiency... and at that point.. bump the timing and you'll get some more ponies at the same boost.

Its tuning.. work with what you have... then make changes.

HTH

Julio

Quick Reply: T67 and methanol: predictions? Jose?