Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ran the car today, new best.....

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2006, 07:26 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Ran the car today, new best.....

Finally took the Z28 to the track and got to run the new setup (D1SC 408, pump gas). I ran it just as I run on the street, pump gas, drag radials, didn't even adjust the shocks. The fastest I have ever ran before was 11.5 at 116, and I trapped 120 once in my GN. I rolled it off the line very easy (concerned about the 4L60E and 12 bolt) at about 2000 rpm launch. I gradually brought the pedal down through first (it didn't spin, but I thought it would) and by the end of second gear it was floored. It pulled so hard in 2nd my vision blurred! Ran a 10.42 at 134.79, 1.63 60'. This will easily run a 1.4x 60', but its very heavy (3800 lbs) and the tranny and/or the rear end may not like it. This thing is nuts, I've never driven anything this fast. I barely beat on it and ran a 10.4, I could see a very low 10 or high 9 with more effort.

I know its not the fastest thing ever, but for being in street trim and being heavy, I was impressed. It felt like a roller coaster! I really want to leave hard on it and see what happens, but I decided to leave on a high note. I had a good day at the track and have plans for my B-day in a few days and didn't want a broken car looming over my head. Owning a 10 second street car has been a goal for a very long time, so this was awesome. Theres so much untapped potential here its nuts!

Thanks to FLP, who put the motor/blower/ic/fuel system in and tuned it, and to all the other vendors who have done good work for me, like Billingsley, Bowler Transmissions, and anyone I forgot. I feel like all the money spent and time spent has been worth it now.
Old 10-07-2006, 07:41 PM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is what I want to achieve in my car, I am working on it. That is truely awsome to run that in full street trim. What was your 1/8 time mph?

Congrats
Old 10-07-2006, 07:51 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats pretty cool just going out for the first time and running that well. This is supercharger weather right now so take advantage of it
Old 10-07-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

Gotta love it.... one of these days....

Awesome man!
Old 10-07-2006, 09:25 PM
10 Second Club

pretty awesome man, got pics and care to share any more pics?

dude my car is seeming like a 4 cyl compared to everyone now.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:54 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

105.xx in the 1/8.

I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:34 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

Congrats!
Old 10-08-2006, 11:28 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

I wonder if I have enough gear to run a high 9? 3.73's, 3600 stall w/ lockup, 4L60E, 28" tires. I don't know where the rev limiter is, all I know is I didn't hit it lol.....
Old 10-08-2006, 11:36 AM
TECH Veteran

Congrats. You should be able to run high 9's with your set-up, in good air. Any idea what your trap rpm's were? You're not sure what your rev limiter is???? What rpm are you shifting at? Still stock PCM? DO you do any data logging? If not, borrow/get something. Not sure on your tranny, but the rear-end should be good to go on a harder launch.

David
Old 10-08-2006, 01:05 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Navy David SS
Congrats. You should be able to run high 9's with your set-up, in good air. Any idea what your trap rpm's were? You're not sure what your rev limiter is???? What rpm are you shifting at? Still stock PCM? DO you do any data logging? If not, borrow/get something. Not sure on your tranny, but the rear-end should be good to go on a harder launch.

David

Get ready to flame my *** good....

No data logging, no manual shifting, I know I was above 6000 rpm going through the traps but not really sure specifically what the rpms were. I would have to ask my tuner what he set the shift points at and rev limiter, and yes, stock PCM. I do have a scanmaster, but the recall just showed no knock retard (good news I suppose).

I literally get in, turn key, stab the skinny pedal, and hold on. I might get some sort of data logging, probably just get LS1edit. I can't tune so I don't screw with it.

I would have left a little harder but I thought my burnout was weak. What actually happened was the car in front of me did a huge burnout, and the wind blew the smoke forward past his car. So I ASSumed when I did mine the smoke would do the same. I kept the tires spinning and never saw much smoke. Turns out the wind changed directions completely and blew the smoke backwards where I had a hard time seeing it. In the video you can see it. I'll post the video once I get a firewire card installed on my prehistoric PC. Its about as exciting as watching paint dry.....

I was told the posi in the 12 bolt was weak, and with the race weight and power it might grenade.
Old 10-08-2006, 02:50 PM
TECH Veteran

No flame - well not much at least. You asked a question, and I'm only trying to help. I don't believe in flaming people. You really need to get to know your car a little bit more. You could be hurting your car without knowing why. Ask your tuner. If he is local maybe he can come out to the track with you with the tuning software. You'd be surprised how much the tuning is off from dyno to racing tune.

I still don't believe you'll know until you try a harder launch on the rear-end. So the tranny is a "stock" tranny? If so, doubt it will last much longer under any circumstances. But you'll never know until you try.

Happy B day.

David
Old 10-08-2006, 07:55 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

No, the tranny is as built as it gets, but its still a 4L60E.

I have faith in my tuner, and since he installed and built the whole setup and said I "could take it to the track straight from here" I'd say its safe. I would like for him to log a pass on it, but he was busy this weekend. I'll probably get LS1edit and at least log some runs so I can email him the logs.

Thanks for the help, next time out I will hit it harder. Maybe between a harder launch and the "skinny driver mod", 9's could happen.
Old 10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I wonder how bad a spool would be on the street? I just don't want to leave hard and have the posi fail during a wheelie or something and make the car pull into the wall.

Quick Reply: Ran the car today, new best.....