Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

im thinking about sts.. but i have some questoions

Old 10-15-2006, 09:49 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default im thinking about sts.. but i have some questoions

ok. i have a 99 ss m6. with a comp cams 232/232/598/114lsa cam, jet hot long tubes. comp cam 918 springs. chrome moly pushrods and titanium retainers. i want to do the sts. upgraded to the t67 turbo and intercooled possibly. what should i expect on the dyno with that setup on 8-9lbs of boost? please give your opinion!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:52 PM
12 Second Club

500ish

you have about the same setup as me with a little more lift on the cam

on a cold day with 8-9psi i should be around 500.....but your long tubes are gonna kill some spool time for ya
Old 10-15-2006, 10:41 PM
TECH Regular

alright sounds good. so should I ditch my longtubes and go with stock manifolds or what? I was also thinking if I went with the front mount kit would I make more power?
Old 10-16-2006, 12:03 PM
12 Second Club

if you plan on running the stock block 500 is about the most you are gonna make without breaking stuff everytime you go full throttle....if you want to make more power/be safer then get some truck heads to drop the compression down. Also front mount vs rear mount....i say front mount wins with power but makes things a bit more difficult under the hood. i am thinking this is the first you have thought about doing FI ....i would start reading a lot of the threads in here....and after about 3-4 mths then you should be able to make a good choice for your self
Old 10-16-2006, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

if you go front mount you will spend some money on the custom headers then you have to deal with the extra heat, sure front will produce more power, prepare on fixing a lot of breaking parts. do alot of researching to see what best suits your needs. daily driver or track car?
Old 10-16-2006, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JTSLP559
ok. i have a 99 ss m6. with a comp cams 232/232/598/114lsa cam, jet hot long tubes. comp cam 918 springs. chrome moly pushrods and titanium retainers. i want to do the sts. upgraded to the t67 turbo and intercooled possibly. what should i expect on the dyno with that setup on 8-9lbs of boost? please give your opinion!
Look at my sig. My cam is smaller, but it works. I do have LT's too. It makes for a slightly slower spool time, but for normal driving you'd still get all the benefits of the headers.

You might want to seriously reconsider 8-9PSI of boost. That is the magical pressure range where things start to go wrong internally on the engine. A FMIC is all but mandatory if pushing the pressure that high. I'd also ecommend running LQ9 or similiar heads to lower the compression ratio. That will give you the needed buffer to run more boost.

As for HP, at 9PSI you should see 500RWHP. I'm putting out 426/438 at the rear wheels (SAE #'s) at 5PSI with the below mods. I have a set of heads to install + an 8lb spring. That should be worth the difference alone. Each lb of boost = approx 20hp.

Do some searches, but this should answer your Q. As a final thought, the benefit of your cam will be decreased FI, as now you're forcing air into the combustion chamber vs the cam aiding the vacuum effect of drawing air into the cylinder.
Old 10-16-2006, 03:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

i made great power with almost nothing on the motor. all i have on the motor it self is the under drive pulley. i also have LT but my car made great power with only 7.5psi. my clutch is slipping and my cam are keeping me from getting a little extra power. i have plans for in a couple of weeks to get the exhaust wrapped and in a couple of months to get some low comp heads and a TRT custom cam. and then i'll shoot for mid to late 500's. FMIC is needed for that kinda boost and plus its just safer. and a bad *** in cold weather
Old 10-16-2006, 03:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

as previously discussed - dont go over 8lbs on stock bottom end unless you have another eng ready to install
you should with 8lbs and an intercooler be right around the 500rwhp mark. i have long tube headers make sure they are coated - jet hot is great - wrap your exhaust from collecter back to turbo and you wont have the lag problem, if you dont want to intercool then go meth it will keep your temps down and help with detonation.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:10 AM
TECH Regular

i just keeep getting confused. a couple of guys in town are making alot of power on stock motors. one guy is making 575. one guy is making 652 on stock bottom end. sts seems alil more efficient for me since its the car i drive the most. an i dont want to run into alot of problems as far as heat goes. but if i can make the power they made i may reconsider. but every car is different ever motor is different. i might blow up on 5lbs. i had a 408 being built. but this guy took forever. so i told him to give me my money back. so now im going FI on this motor.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i just keeep getting confused. a couple of guys in town are making alot of power on stock motors. one guy is making 575. one guy is making 652 on stock bottom end. sts seems alil more efficient for me since its the car i drive the most. an i dont want to run into alot of problems as far as heat goes. but if i can make the power they made i may reconsider. but every car is different ever motor is different. i might blow up on 5lbs. i had a 408 being built. but this guy took forever. so i told him to give me my money back. so now im going FI on this motor.
i dont know of anyone with an STS on a STOCK eng running that much power, and if they are its on borrowed time
Old 10-17-2006, 07:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, running that HP on a stock bottom end is a time bomb.
Be it a supercharger, turbo, whatever.
Old 10-17-2006, 01:09 PM
TECH Regular

yea i know. i didnt think they could take that much power. i thought 500-530 at the most. but there doing it on front mount intercooled t76's
Old 10-17-2006, 01:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running the STS kit on a forged bottom end with the mods in the sig. Make sure you do all the supporting mods esecailly the FMIC because it made the biggest diffrence for me, I went from running a 95.5 mph in the 1/8th to 99 mph. IMO I wouldn't go more than 7.5 lbs with stock internals unless your running a race tune.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
I'm running the STS kit on a forged bottom end with the mods in the sig. Make sure you do all the supporting mods esecailly the FMIC because it made the biggest diffrence for me, I went from running a 95.5 mph in the 1/8th to 99 mph. IMO I wouldn't go more than 7.5 lbs with stock internals unless your running a race tune.

Thats wierd,maybe its an STS thing? I know 2 buddies of mine..one has a 99 z28 he runs vortech v-9 blower on a 10# pulley, it makes 9PSI at the most, I believe its from the blower cam and the FAST intake it makes it lose a bit of boost. He on top of that sprays an 80 wet shot when running 109 race gas....but for daily he does boost 9#'s.

The other guy I know is a customer at work who has I believe a 2002 Trans AM WS6, it has a Procharger D1SC and atleast a 232/232 cam + stage 2 LS6 Heads. I think it makes between 560-580rwhp on 8#'s on a conservative tune.

Chad
Old 10-17-2006, 02:55 PM
TECH Regular

thats the same cam i have. 232-232 and i have a lingefelter polished ls6 intake. 60lbs injectors. and im getting a set of lq9 heads. i was gonna go procharger.. but theres nothing like the sound of a turbo. mmmmm. STS has been really lame . they wont answer my calls or anything. so im probly gonna end up doing a front mount. i want more highway runs theres some supras around here. so il probly go with a t78 but we shall see. an its gonna be my daily. so im not gonna go to extreme. no race tune yet . until i get another car lol. im hopeing for around 550-600 but well c..
Old 10-17-2006, 04:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

thats the same cam i have. 232-232 and i have a lingefelter polished ls6 intake. 60lbs injectors. and im getting a set of lq9 heads. i was gonna go procharger.. but theres nothing like the sound of a turbo. mmmmm. STS has been really lame . they wont answer my calls or anything. so im probly gonna end up doing a front mount. i want more highway runs theres some supras around here. so il probly go with a t78 but we shall see. an its gonna be my daily. so im not gonna go to extreme. no race tune yet . until i get another car lol. im hopeing for around 550-600 but well c..

sts phone system is a little messed up i know i had trouble getting a hold of them when i got my turbo just send them a email and they will call you.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:31 PM
TECH Regular

alrite i will do. one of my buddys told me about TRTtubo texas rear turbos.. i havnt researched them much .. but they look pretty stout.. you guys should check em out to!. also. what do u guys think of turbonetics turbos? or should i just stick with the all might precision turbo?
Old 10-17-2006, 05:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

alrite i will do. one of my buddys told me about TRTtubo texas rear turbos.. i havnt researched them much .. but they look pretty stout.. you guys should check em out to!. also. what do u guys think of turbonetics turbos? or should i just stick with the all might precision turbo?

how would you be buying the turbo stuff? money all up front if so go with trt you get a better price... but if you dont wanna throw all that money up front go like i did a do financing east to get approved, i put down 1500 bucks and payments are like 200 a month i got everything but the intercooler have to get that from trt.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:55 PM
Teching In

Default Turbo

Call Billy at TRT. It's the way to go, tons of knowledge and very willing to share and help.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:30 PM
TECH Regular

i have cash. iv been trying to find trt;s number an website but i cant.. i thought i found the site but it was just pictures.. anyone have the number to trt? hopefully il get a better deal on some **** cuz i have cash in hand lol but well c! u know how **** works!. im pretty exited to get this turbo kit hopefully il get some good numbers!. and i also hope this ls6 lingenfelter polished intake will work good on it, anyone have opinions on that?

Search this Thread