Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

HOLLY BOOST GOATMAN!(STS Pics, LONG WRITE UP!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:16 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HOLLY BOOST GOATMAN!(STS Pics, LONG WRITE UP!)

Well she's far from finished but here's the SITREP. With the help of a very helpful friend (Collins) we managed to install the STS without any major mishaps. But on the drive home I realized that the wrong purple wire was tapped. Instead of tapping into the fuel pump line, I spliced a line which cuts off 30 seconds into the cars operation. Oddly enough, my fuel line wire is yellow:nuts: (Had it confirmed at the dealership)

So as most of you could already imagine, oil pressure built up within the Turbo housing and flooded the seals due to the lack of vacuum pressure cycling it through the system via the provided oil pump. It was pouring that night so it was hard to tell, but I spewed out 6 quarts of OIL! After realizing the fact I pulled over into a 7/11 and dismantled the whole rear section in the pouring rain (that's what I get for a lack of attention to detail ). I cleaned up the turbo; rinsed out the intake piping with a high pressure hose provided by the friendly neighborhood 7/11 employee. After which I drained the pipes of all the remaining water and, resembled the system, and forced Riku to scarf down 6 1/2 quarts of Castrol GTX Syn. Oil, followed by the very tedious task of locating an accessory wire with a 12v charge, which STAYES ON while the vehicle was running. "Boy that was fun":quoties:

Scared of running boost on the untuned motor I decided to relocate the air filter upfront much like the stock set up. Thus producing a VERY expensive yet functional RAM Air Cold air intake . (The turbo outlet was still feeding into the engine bay, but not directly into the manifold.

For about a week Riku sat under a tarp before she was delivered to Mike Norris of Next Level Performance to be tuned. I was surprised to hear she only managed to scuff out 410 rwhp and 417ft of Torque @5PSI.
There were no leaks, and she was running 5 psi across the board. We called it quits after several runs, but I didn't mind because she's far from finished. The FMIC is being assembled as we speak, the MTI Stealth II Turbo cam has been ordered, not to mention valve springs.

I'm still shopping for a .6 bar spring for the wastegate(tough to find it sold separately, and the best set of low compression heads and pistons. (Can anyone help?)

After it was all said and done I drove her home softly feathering the throttle. After which I called up a friend who owns a 435rwhp F-Body (Heads, Cam + a few bolt ons), and we played around a little bit. We ran at least 7 times and EVERY TIME, I walked him!???? from a 40mph roll to 120mph I pulled 3 car lengths. After which we switched cars, same result. (Wish I was able to record it:damnyou: ) Not to mention when I floor it the boost kicks in at around 2K RPMs!

Question! How is it that I dynoed less then him on a dynojet, yet I still manage to pull on him as if he was still stock? I'm only running 5PSI (Rich) with no FMIC.

Anyway, now she's parked and waiting to be retuned once everything is installed.

7/11 Pit Stop

Collins hard at work, LOL, those pipes are a B*TCH! STS sent me an inlet pipe with no braces! Had to creat my own.-

Old 10-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Teching In

Default More Pics

Dyno run

Old 10-18-2006, 11:28 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

way to ad vertise under the hood.. lol...
Old 10-18-2006, 11:36 PM
TECH Regular

looks good!!!! cant wait to see the numbers!
Old 10-19-2006, 12:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

my guess would be the TQ difference is why you walked him.
Old 10-19-2006, 01:23 AM
Teching In

Does 410rw/417tq seem right for 5psi, with no FMIC with IAT around 138*?
Old 10-19-2006, 02:18 AM
9 Second Club

what year is that car? is it the 400 hp car? or just the ls1? because i would imagine it is right for the ls1.... and not anywhere close for a ls2
Old 10-19-2006, 02:19 AM
Teching In

It's an LS2
Old 10-19-2006, 02:22 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Noraku_6.0L
It's an LS2

I would expect more than that.

Cuz 400 flywheel stock...

the ls1 guys are putting more than that down.

It honestly sounds liek it runs amazing. But you should have been able to get higher number out of it i would think.

But im no expert.. im jsut comparing and contrasting to peoples luck here.... but it is kidna hard because everyone runs different amounts of boost... but i would still think more than that.

I have a lt1 and of course i dont make that. But I started with 285 flywheel. lol.. you have 400.
Old 10-19-2006, 02:24 AM
9 Second Club

i jsut read you said it was rich.... go a couple more lbs of boost and perfect the tune and i bet it turns to a flat out animal
Old 10-19-2006, 04:44 AM
TECH Regular

Torque curve probably has a huge part in the deal. Having great overlap on shifts and high #'s lower in your band all the way through probably did it.
Old 10-19-2006, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

if you want more power out of it dont take it to "next level" take it to jeremy...
Old 10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's probly pissed off that you call it Riku... Thats the only thing I can think of.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Norris dyno usually dyno's low as well...called the intimidator lol
Old 10-19-2006, 10:36 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ryan K
It's probly pissed off that you call it Riku... Thats the only thing I can think of.

I call it Riku because that's the name my 2 year old niece gave it. I guess it stuck with me. Jeremy will be available sometime next week once he returns from Cali. I'll give him a call and see what we could do.
Old 10-19-2006, 11:30 AM
FormerVendor

The area under the torque curve is why you're pulling away from your friend with higher dyno numbers. Compare both of your dyno sheets, and I would be willing to bet that your car is making a signifigant amount more torque at much lower RPM.

My car works the same way. People are questioning my dyno numbers and 1/4 mile times, but the way it pulls from a standstill is pretty amazing.

BTW, I know Jeremy pretty well, and I'm sure if you have him re-tune it, you will see more power

Hope this helps,
Ed

Quick Reply: HOLLY BOOST GOATMAN!(STS Pics, LONG WRITE UP!)