Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

What would it take to turbocharge my 402?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2006, 11:54 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default What would it take to turbocharge my 402?

I've recently priced out an ATI F1 and dual intercooler setup for it. But to keep myself informed and keep my options open, I want to price out about what it would cost to turbo this setup.

Here's what I want out of the setup. Currently shooting for 700-750rwhp (Dyno Jet numbers). I want to shoot for ONLY running 93 octane. No race gas. I don't want to have to cut up the nose of my TA to let a FMIC breathe. If one works without hacking the facia, great, if not, I'll go the ATI dual IC route. I will not sacrifice my AC, this is still a car I like driving on the street. I'll consider Meth injection if necessary. I'd be open to an electronic boost controller if I find it necessary for traction issues.
Some year I might swap the 4L65E for a 4L80, but that's years out. Only one major purchase at a time.

Here's what I have:

1998 Trans Am

LS2 402
-14cc pistons
FAST 90/90 intake
Dual stage n2o kit (leaving to make room for FI)
Aeromotive A1000 fuel system
ET Performance 245 heads (59cc chambers)
FLP Level 5 4L65E w/3800 stall converter
Strange 12 bolt w/3.73 posi, and Strange HD driveshaft.

I know I'll have to lower my compression (a LOT). Either have someone re-work the chambers, or sell them for 6.0L heads.
I know I'll have to change injectors, upgrade rails, and install a boost referenced FPR.

How can I tell what size of turbo I should shoot for? About how many pounds of boost (roughly) would it take to hit this goal? Any 402/408 people out there that can tell me about what a turbo kit like this would set me back?

What else should I be considering?

Thanks for everyones time?
Old 10-19-2006, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Talk to Jared (longrange4u) We're in the process of doing up his CETA with a rearmount PT88 and FMIC on a 408. Should be a killer combo for 900+rwhp