Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS -need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 11:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default STS -need help

I have the sts kit on my 94 z28. Recently I looked underneath the car and noticed there was a rubber hose not connected to anything it was coming off a black ****. The hose was near the wastegate. There was a fitting end on the wastegate. So I connected the hose on the wastegate. I started the car up and parked it for the winter. I'm just wondering if theres supposed to be a hose connected to the wastegate. I have a stock engine with a safe tune. I just hope I did not mess the tune up or throw anything off. I'm thinking that was the boost controller. But I'm not 100% sure since I'm still kinda new at all this turbo stuff.- Any information would help
Old 10-20-2006, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have a boost controller, the hose from it will feed some fraction of the boost pressure back around to the wastegate, to make it stay closed longer. Otherwise that port is just open to the air so the diaphragm in there can move freely.
Old 10-20-2006, 12:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Re:

So that did not affect my tune or anything like that??
Old 10-20-2006, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by detroit_903
So that did not affect my tune or anything like that??
Won't effect your tune but it will effect your boost. I would think if it your controller isn't connected you would run as much boost as your spring is set for.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:56 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by detroit_903
I have the sts kit on my 94 z28. Recently I looked underneath the car and noticed there was a rubber hose not connected to anything it was coming off a black ****. The hose was near the wastegate. There was a fitting end on the wastegate. So I connected the hose on the wastegate. I started the car up and parked it for the winter. I'm just wondering if theres supposed to be a hose connected to the wastegate. I have a stock engine with a safe tune. I just hope I did not mess the tune up or throw anything off. I'm thinking that was the boost controller. But I'm not 100% sure since I'm still kinda new at all this turbo stuff.- Any information would help
You're describing a manual boost controller **** + vacuum connection hose like others have stated. The real question is.....what PSI are you "supposed" to be running? The stock spring is set for 5PSI. If that's what you usually run....then DISCONNECT THAT HOSE FROM THE AIR PORT ON THE WASTEGATE (where the arrow is pointing). The purpose of the hose/ boost controller is to run more than 5PSI of boost (usually 7-9PSI if you are running methanol injection.) If you are running meth injection and have a boost gauge to monitor that the setting is good, then you're fine. Otherwise, keep the air port mentioned above open (ie don't plug a hose into it). It will cause the turbo to "overboost" more than the 5PSI spring is set for.

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply: STS -need help