Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

STS in the rain?

Old 10-31-2006, 08:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default STS in the rain?

Hey guys,

I don't have an STS, but I've been curious about how these guys run them in the rain?

Wouldn't all of that water splashin on the hot turbo causing some major damage? especially if you were to hit a big puddle or something?

sorry if this issue has already been addressed
Old 10-31-2006, 08:58 AM
How do I change this text

I'm not sure for you car guys, but the only thing I worry about is if the air filter goes under water. When I launch my boat. I usally put a K&N filter sock on it durring the winter/rainy season.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MetallicaMatt
Hey guys,

I don't have an STS, but I've been curious about how these guys run them in the rain?

Wouldn't all of that water splashin on the hot turbo causing some major damage? especially if you were to hit a big puddle or something?

sorry if this issue has already been addressed
You'd have drive through a pool of water over a foot deep to get the turbo or air filter dipped in H2O. I put a filter sock on the filter when it's really rainy, but so far no issues. This is driving in Hawaii where it rains EVERY freakin day. Overall, water deep enough to screw up the turbo is probably deep enough to screw up a lot more on the car too.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:19 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

even if you submerged the exhaust housing suddenly, its not going to crack it, warp it, or distroy it.

i have a friend who tests holset turbos for marine applications... its AMAZING what kind of torcher tests they put those turbos (and diesels) thru.. and they survive.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:41 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
even if you submerged the exhaust housing suddenly, its not going to crack it, warp it, or distroy it.

i have a friend who tests holset turbos for marine applications... its AMAZING what kind of torcher tests they put those turbos (and diesels) thru.. and they survive.
got any examples of the tests they do??

Chris.
Old 10-31-2006, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Schantin
You'd have drive through a pool of water over a foot deep to get the turbo or air filter dipped in H2O. I put a filter sock on the filter when it's really rainy, but so far no issues. This is driving in Hawaii where it rains EVERY freakin day. Overall, water deep enough to screw up the turbo is probably deep enough to screw up a lot more on the car too.

guess this means i have to put my sock back on.......it was really rainin her 1 day last week and i noticed i got a little bit of water in my intake...not enought to hirt anything at all (this was because i didnt put my sock on)......but i am moving to hawaii soon so the sock will stay on!
Old 10-31-2006, 03:57 PM
Staging Lane

I've only had one problem water wise with my STS and it was a hard rain on the HWY and drips were getting sucked in to the BOV and on to the MAF cauing a super rich problem bogging the car down and thats only happend once.
Old 10-31-2006, 08:10 PM
TECH Junkie

where do you get a filter sock?

Thanks guys!
Old 10-31-2006, 08:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now is this with the old design where the filter is in the open or has any of these problems occured with their new inverted filter? Any word on that? STS states that no water issues would occur.
Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Move to SoCal

Rain, whats rain? oh yeah thats why we have NorCal pump all there rain water here! I have had my rear mount kit for 2 years and only been in real rain twice. I had no issues and was not running a sock. The filter was dripping water when I parked it one night, so I took all the pipes off and there was no water!
Old 10-31-2006, 09:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

when i had my STS (gone now and not forgotten well i still miss the noise) i had the sock on on the highway and when ever it rained hard on mid lenght trips it would pull water in and hit the MAF and bog the car i built a water gaurd stopped after that. i lived on gravel at the time and the K&N would plug with dirt and dust after only a couple days, i noticed that the power was gone one night so i pulled the K&N found it dirty as hell.... i all ways loved the bottle anyways
Old 11-01-2006, 12:14 PM
TECH Regular

I dont care what anyone says I have had probs with water but if you combine the sock and the shield you are ok for quite a while. ~Guy
Old 11-01-2006, 12:45 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssdriver27
I dont care what anyone says I have had probs with water but if you combine the sock and the shield you are ok for quite a while. ~Guy
You are right about the shield. It's a major water deflector. Especially if it's algned to block water spray from the driver side rear wheel. 1/2 the time I don't even use the filter sock.....even in the rain.

My problem isn't water in the intake (just hasn't happened to me), but rather the filter gets dirty quick. I have to clean it about once a month. I also have an FMIC...so there's a LOT of pipe water would have to travel through to ever reach my MAF (which is disconnected for SD mode anyways) and then the intake.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The one thing I learned living in the tropics and all, you do have to treat that sock every once in a while to maintain the water proofing effect. I use a waterproofer that you would use on a pair of boots to keep them dry. It works really well, but during the wet season, I usually pull the sock and re-treat it once a month, just to be sure.
Old 11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
TECH Regular

yea I live in seattle I tried sock only no dice tried shield only no dice and finally with both sock and shield, I went on a 2.5 hour cruise in the rain and about half way started having probs, the MAF goes nuts when it gets water rushed passed it. ~Guy
Old 11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
TECH Junkie

okay, try to be neutral here

the water problem doesn't seem to be HUGE, so is a rear mount really better than a front mount?

i'm looking as far as, easier to install etc
dunno about performance?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:15 AM
12 Second Club

the water problem doesn't seem to be HUGE, so is a rear mount really better than a front mount?

dunno about performance?
If ease of install is your main concern, then the rear mount is better. An STS rear-mount will also be cheaper than the front-mount when all is said and done too. This is mainly because the rear mount requires very little fabrication to install. Underhood heat will probably be less. There will be no worries about how to keep AC. The stock radiator can sit in it's stock mount location and use the stock cooling fans. All benefits of the rear-mount.

For overall performance, I think the front mount is the ticket. A rear-mount will give good performance on the street and decent results at the track. The rear-mount just doesnt seem to match the downright sick numbers that a front mount turbo can churn out. You'll also get better ground clearance with the front mount. And, there's something just really cool about seeing a big ol' turbo under the hood of a Camaro.

So, each has it's advantage and disadvantage. Depends what's important to you and how big your wallet is .

Hope this helps.
Old 11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
TECH Enthusiast

dunno about performance?
I think the biggest problem with the STS kits are that people assume that because it is easier to install, you can just bolt it up and have a bad *** turbo car. It's not quite that easy, although it is definitely easier than a front mount. You just have to be prepared to do more than just bolting on some parts and calling it a day.
Old 11-02-2006, 12:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Schantin
For overall performance, I think the front mount is the ticket. A rear-mount will give good performance on the street and decent results at the track. The rear-mount just doesnt seem to match the downright sick numbers that a front mount turbo can churn out. You'll also get better ground clearance with the front mount. And, there's something just really cool about seeing a big ol' turbo under the hood of a Camaro.
so what makes the rear-mounts not so great at the track? not enough time to spool up? I thought I saw that lag wasn't that big of an issue, or is that just on the street
Old 11-04-2006, 01:34 PM
12 Second Club

so what makes the rear-mounts not so great at the track? not enough time to spool up? I thought I saw that lag wasn't that big of an issue, or is that just on the street
I've noted most STS F-bodies run around the 11-12 sec range at the track. Sure there are faster ones, but on a relatively stock LS1, this is the average. That's great numbers for a street car. But, probably not "fast enough" for most of the hardcore racing fans. The boosted list if full of front mounts pulling down 9-10 second 1/4's. Sure there is much more $$ invested in these machines, but that's another topic of discussion.

That's what I meant. Nothing to do with "lag time". More to do with pure CFM of air getting crammed into the engine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: STS in the rain?