Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Does alky injection help N/A motors at all?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2006, 10:03 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does alky injection help N/A motors at all?

I thought i would ask you guys since most of you run some sort of injection with your forced induction setup. just wondering if alky injection would help my car out. My friend has an extra pump and setup laying around and told me he could install it for me...but im wondering if this would even help me to begin with. I know that people with forced induction use it to cool the intake temps and advance timing...but what about a N/A set up??...any gains?
Old 11-02-2006, 11:30 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Lower intake temperature and allows for increased timing.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

try spraying some nitromethane, should pep it up.
http://www.snowperformance.net/prodd...p?prod=Auto120
Old 11-03-2006, 06:45 AM
TECH Addict

all the alky would do is increase the octane a bit! your better going with water injection as you can use this to help oyu run more timing!

and water injection is proven in NA racing, thats why its outlawd in F1 now!

thanks Chris.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:50 AM
TECH Resident

I think you were to go to all that trouble I'd find a use nitrous kit.

I spray meth through my throttle body but I'm forced inducted.
Old 11-03-2006, 06:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

yea but you'll never convince anyone that the NOS bottle is just your windsheild washer fluid
Old 11-03-2006, 07:40 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
yea but you'll never convince anyone that the NOS bottle is just your windsheild washer fluid
I'm not sure you can convince them after they smell it though lol

It would be nice to see some results on a NA car
Old 11-03-2006, 08:22 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Consider this: Over the years, hundreds - maybe thousands - of drag racers and dirt track racers switch from race gas to 100% Methanol. This has been going on for decades and is not new. Most drag racers report gains of about .1 - .3 and it's not because you can run more timing - after all, they allready had their timing optimized on gasoline and I suspect 95% of LS1 guys do too.

According to the local dirt track engine shop, the amount of power you gain going to Methanol on an N/A setup depends on the compression ratio. They say that on a high compression motor (>12/1), the Methanol doesn't seem to help at all. But, low compression motors can pick up 20 - 30 hp.

Keep in mind also, that a Snow or AlkyControl Meth kit is intended to only replace about 15% of the gasoline with Methanol, so the gains would be much less than 100% Methanol.

Mike
Old 11-03-2006, 09:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1fastZ -

As a man with a MAF referenced Meth injection system on my LT1 M6 I can speak to your N/A question; is there an increase in HP? Yes.

How much (poor answer comming) - I don't know. The only reason I don't is because I have not run my car at the track post-Meth installation or had it Dyno tuned; PCM 4 Less did my mail order tune.

I don know this - I ran it w/o the Meth system activated (relay removed) then ran it with it activated (relay installed) and my father (a drag racer since 1959!) told me his Butt-Dyno felt at least a 25 HP gain. Additionally, the car now gets rubber on the 2-3 shift.

EngineerMike -

I am also a Mechanical Engineer (who's name is also Mike!).

FYI - the octane rating of Meth is 120, so given that, you can indeed run additional timing and a higher compression ratio, these factors can help Meth augment a gas engine or help avoid knocking in boosted apps with non-timing retarded tunes.

ALL -

I really enjoy my Meth system; the MAF referenced factor is probably what I like the most; once you dialed in the injection curve, just "set it and forget it"! Just keep that 2 gallon tank filled!

Mike / great421@yahoo.com
Old 11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been looking for someone brave enough (dumb enough may be the correct wording) to spray straight RC car fuel or a higher concentration of nitro with their meth(so no oil) than what Snow sells on a N/A car. I would think it would be more fail safe than nitrous and a lot easier to hide as already mentioned.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RICE ETR
I've been looking for someone brave enough (dumb enough may be the correct wording) to spray straight RC car fuel
watch it Mr. ETR
Old 11-03-2006, 05:43 PM
Turbo Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hold on to your panties...I was referring to me with dumb part....
Old 11-03-2006, 06:33 PM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've wondered about the Nitro RC fuel as well. I've got a gallon of 40% nitro and have wondered what type of benefits you would get mixing a gallon of it with at least ten gallons of regular gas.

If I were still at sunoco and had access to the engine dyno cell, I'd fool around with it and try it out to see. They mostly do testing on emissions and fuel economy, but they also did some testing on power levels with differenct formulations of gasoline.

Maybe I'll try it on an old sears craftsman motor and see how it reacts to having the extra nitro in the mix.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

water injection?can someone explain to me how this works?just to learn something new
Old 11-06-2006, 09:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Additional Information

Originally Posted by MiaSSmaro98
water injection?can someone explain to me how this works?just to learn something new
MiaSSmaro98 -

Meth and water; not just water injection. Water injection will cool the combustion chamber temps and help remove carbon deposits and impede detonation without retarding timing.

Meth and water will do all of the above AND add a high octane fuel in liquid form. As hot air (boosted apps) flows past and colides with the Meth / Water mix, the liquid is turned into a vapor. This vaporization takes heat from the air and "cools" the intake charge. Hence, the line from Snow performance, "chemical intercooling".

MIKE
Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

cool so u mix them or its 2 separate tanks?
Old 11-06-2006, 03:13 PM
TECH Addict

water basically acks like a sponge in the combution chambers. this means you can run the engine to a point where det would normaly happen. but instead of det the water slows the flame front down to below dept levels and the engine runs great!!!

it can be used in Na as well as FI applications and works very well! meth works well to, and on a FI application cools the intake down too, plus adds some octane (which is where its anti det propities come from!!). together would be great for FI i think!

you dont need seperate tank as water and allky will mix. but over 50/50 you need a meth basid kit or you might get corrotion.

thanks Chris.
Old 11-07-2006, 11:03 PM
12 Second Club

i was thinking about using alky with a water mixed, but im thinkin of going with distilled water so their wont be any corrosion due to chlorine and other chemicals natually found in normal water... or will that still cuase problems in the long run?
Old 11-07-2006, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

good question
Old 11-07-2006, 11:16 PM
10 Second Club

Yes it does help but its not worth risk or the cost from the power you would make. Basically you can run more timing on motor which equals more power but it won't be worth it .

Quick Reply: Does alky injection help N/A motors at all?