Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

E-85 fuel more efficient for FI

Old 11-03-2006, 08:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default E-85 fuel more efficient for FI

I was just checking out this thread and saw it to be very interesting https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...07#post5812707

Basically the reason I am posting in here is wanting to find out if there are any F-body's that are currently using E-85 as a fuel instead unleaded, or even partially say as a type of kit, like a Meth kit but a Eth Kit, same concept as the Meth kit though. This stuff has a great octane raiting and runs much cooler. This stuff is definately cheaper than Methanol I am sure, what does that stuff run a gallon? Some places Ethanol runs at only $2.19 a gallon and as it becomes more widely avaliable, would be easier to use than Methanol. Guys go ahead and chime in here and sorry if you dont feel that this should be in this forum, I want the FI guys advice here.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:51 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,089 Likes on 717 Posts

There is a very long thread on www.turbomustangs.com about this.

You need to run bigger injectors and a more fuel pump to do this. I think a lot of folks don't have local access to E85 so it's still a rare setup.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A lot of guys in the midwest have options for this but if they have their car tuned for E-85 and then have to fill up with regular gas I think it'll probably run pig rich... E-85's stoich is way high like 9.5:1 or somewhere around there...
Old 11-03-2006, 09:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Would you be able to use Ethanol instead of Methanol in an existing Meth kit?
Old 11-03-2006, 10:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

That's a possiblity...What is the octane of pure meth?? I think ethanol is somewhere like 110 or right around there... E-85 is somewhere around 104-105... Ethanol is a little corrosive but so is methanol so I can't really see too big of a reason why you can't... Also, you could probably run a relatively safe tune a test it so that if it does fail your engine won't complete explode...
Old 11-03-2006, 10:54 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a big reason to why only the midwest is getting it is because it would cost an arm and a leg to get it here since the current pipe system can send it as it would eat through it
Old 11-03-2006, 11:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Also the midwest has most of the crops which can create a demand for it...Right now there's just not too many manufacturing plants outside of the midwest and you're right about the transportation...They would probably have to convert their fuel trucks to be able to carry it....Plus, fueling stations would have to be converted to run it too and have a demand from the community...Since most people don't drive FFV vehicles yet or have 800rwhp boosted crazy machines that can convert their fuel systems to sustain the corrosiveness, there wouldn't be as many people that can run it...Also, the education isn't dissemenated as well as it should but I think one some of these issues are met then it will become more prevelant...
Old 11-03-2006, 12:16 PM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

i'd like to try converting the vette to E85, but i have foudn inconclusive information on if the plastic gas tank can handle it.. i think most of the fuel system is stainless steel though so it can handle it
Old 11-03-2006, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure that it will eat through plastic also... From what I remember from all of my research is that the tanks have to be coated with something that won't corrode... Let me get back to you on it but I think that was the case...
Old 11-03-2006, 12:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
I'm pretty sure that it will eat through plastic also... From what I remember from all of my research is that the tanks have to be coated with something that won't corrode... Let me get back to you on it but I think that was the case...
Thanks, I will be waiting also. Wanting to convert the goat to high comp motor. Done alot of searching mostly hearsay.

CT
Old 11-03-2006, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

After some research I found this... It has some good info but you just have to weed through the idiots that don't know any better... It may answer a couple of questions that you have... Just take the word of the ignorant with a grain of salt though...You'll see who I'm talking about... http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1726944/posts

Last edited by 98turbls1; 11-03-2006 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:34 PM
Banned

Willem @ Fuel Injection Concepts's Avatar

right, but the question is, are my stock plastic fuel tanks already coated with whats need ed for e-85? cause iknow the flex fuel trucks/cars probably have plastic tanks as well.. actually i know the trucks do for sure.
Old 11-03-2006, 12:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TT Coupe
right, but the question is, are my stock plastic fuel tanks already coated with whats need ed for e-85? cause iknow the flex fuel trucks/cars probably have plastic tanks as well.. actually i know the trucks do for sure.
That's a very good question because it would make sense...I guess the only thing to do is see what is so special that they coat the FFV's tanks with and see if it's in yours... I'm stuck with a metal one but I'm going to sump it and at that time I'm going to coat it...
Old 11-03-2006, 12:40 PM
Launching!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TT Coupe
i'd like to try converting the vette to E85, but i have foudn inconclusive information on if the plastic gas tank can handle it.. i think most of the fuel system is stainless steel though so it can handle it
I have the same concern about the steel tank in the '98 F-bodies; haven't heard specifically one way or the other. There's a station right around the corner from me that sells e85, so I might just give it a shot. As for road trips, etc, if you have tuning software you just need to develop a tune for normal unleaded and another tune for e85. Just flash the normal unleaded tune in if you're unsure about the availability of e85 where you're headed.
Old 11-03-2006, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well also you have to consider that you're going to need substantially larger injectors, fuel pump that can pump higher pressure and can withstand alcohol, and some other factors beside just the already stated coating... Remember some of the canidates to benefit from ethanol use are people running extreme amounts of horsepower on the street...If their injectors are already at 80% with gas then they will definitely be over 100% duty cycle with E85 and need to plan properly with this...
Old 11-04-2006, 01:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Well also you have to consider that you're going to need substantially larger injectors, fuel pump that can pump higher pressure and can withstand alcohol, and some other factors beside just the already stated coating... Remember some of the canidates to benefit from ethanol use are people running extreme amounts of horsepower on the street...If their injectors are already at 80% with gas then they will definitely be over 100% duty cycle with E85 and need to plan properly with this...
You are absolutely right because after reading the article to the link that PSJ sent earlier in this thread, http://www.turbomustangs.com/techarticles/e85dyno.php
The Mustang they were testing this on was using 160lb/hr injectors, and when it was using unleaded was seeing only 55 DC, once they were using the E-85, it was seeing 75 DC, thats a 20% increase. Not saying there isnt any corosion, but they stated that after 9 months of testing, they saw no such corosion, I would like to see what fuel tank they were using
Old 11-04-2006, 10:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

The corrosion they are talking about is usually a long term effect...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: E-85 fuel more efficient for FI