Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

cheap exhaust/catback for a blown 408

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2006, 10:29 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cheap exhaust/catback for a blown 408

right now i have LT, ORY and a dynomouth and my neighbors hate me.... the car is so much louder with the blower and big cubes its almost too loud to drive around town or my house for that matter....

im just looking for a cheap solution that will really quiet this thing down then use cutouts for the track... i would prefer to get rid of any rasp because the car has been raspy all its life... it like some decent tone but most of all quiet so the cops and neighbors will quit bitchin...

Thanks,
Tyler
Old 11-25-2006, 01:20 PM
7 Second Club

what are you guys using? im just tired of raspy exhaust notes when street driving.... and no tru duals.. i have a BMR Xtreme TA...
Old 11-25-2006, 01:38 PM
TECH Addict

Hooker catback is your solution. Just put a cutout before it for track use. I switched from a Loudmouth with Cats to a hooker without cats and the Hooker without cats sounds better with no rasp and no one hates me lol.
Old 11-26-2006, 01:12 AM
7 Second Club

how do you like the tips? do you have a z28 or a TA... how big is the muffler?
Old 11-26-2006, 02:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ty_ty13
how do you like the tips? do you have a z28 or a TA... how big is the muffler?
I have a Z28.... They are not bad, not Corsa though lol. The only reason i bought it is because it flows well and doesn't annoy people. I say it flows well because it didnt lose much to a open Cutout. The muffler looks as big as the stock one.

Now since im heading with my car towards a more race setup im looking for 1 7/8 headers with 3" step up and then 3" true duals before the axle.
Old 11-26-2006, 10:23 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cant get any simpler, cheaper and less restrictive then this. 3" Y-pipe into a flowmaster 3" to 4" merge and a 4" split flow muffler. I had a 4" dynomax bullet on it before and I think it amplified the sound This is by no means as quiet as a hooker (what I had on there before) but its tolerable. The hooker doesnt fit with this gas tank so that was that. I used to just drop the whole muffler and tailpipe with the hooker when I went to the track, takes about 5 minutes.
Old 11-26-2006, 03:44 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
Cant get any simpler, cheaper and less restrictive then this. 3" Y-pipe into a flowmaster 3" to 4" merge and a 4" split flow muffler. I had a 4" dynomax bullet on it before and I think it amplified the sound This is by no means as quiet as a hooker (what I had on there before) but its tolerable. The hooker doesnt fit with this gas tank so that was that. I used to just drop the whole muffler and tailpipe with the hooker when I went to the track, takes about 5 minutes.
and you say the hooker wont fit at all?
Old 11-26-2006, 06:53 PM
kp
8 Second Club

and you say the hooker wont fit at all?
I could have made it fit probably, but I wanted to get rid of the 3" pipe also. The gas tank sump is right where the muffler sits, it hit so i took it off and that was that
Old 11-26-2006, 10:06 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I could have made it fit probably, but I wanted to get rid of the 3" pipe also. The gas tank sump is right where the muffler sits, it hit so i took it off and that was that
as you know i have the same tank and i can get a stellar deal on one... if i can make it fit with a little custom work ill get it.... cause every other catback will fit the same also...
Old 11-26-2006, 10:53 PM
kp
8 Second Club

as you know i have the same tank and i can get a stellar deal on one... if i can make it fit with a little custom work ill get it.... cause every other catback will fit the same also...
I just stuck it up there for a second and it hit the sump and tossed it off to the side and built whats on there now. It may work if you twist the muffler a little but I didnt spend any time trying to make it fit.
Old 11-27-2006, 07:28 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I just stuck it up there for a second and it hit the sump and tossed it off to the side and built whats on there now. It may work if you twist the muffler a little but I didnt spend any time trying to make it fit.

and you said it was pretty quiet for nice neighborhood driving?

if i need to i can always put a spiral flow in the I pipe...
Old 11-27-2006, 07:30 AM
7 Second Club

i plan to have QTEC's at each header or just have it where the sprial flow dumps the exhaust like yours does now when the hooker is off....

i think i would get my self in trouble with the ability to have open headers in a matter of a flip of a switch

Quick Reply: cheap exhaust/catback for a blown 408