Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Ported fast more prone to cracking under boost?

Old 11-28-2006, 10:32 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ported fast more prone to cracking under boost?

Do you guys recomend getting the Fast intake ported after I have a set of heads to work with, so that they match?? And do you think that porting the Fast is a bad idea if I'm going FI later on, as Fast intakes are known to crack at 18 Psi of boost.

I know a ported FAST will gain 15-20rwhp (on some set ups), but is this a compromise if you wanted to run more boost? I know stock bottom ends shouldn't be boosted past 8 psi, but let's say on a forged block.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

trade that set up for an Ls6 set up, i plan on keeping my FAST seeing as that i will only be running about 8psi, and then im going to switch to a carb style
Old 11-28-2006, 01:26 PM
TECH Regular

Already had an ls6 stock and sold it for $100 bucks with the rails and t/b to a member on this board. Carb style will take the stress off the back cylinders but there are clearance issues with the cowl and hood. Definitely not ditching my FAST, just wondering whether porting will weaken it significantly.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

$100!!!!! damn they got a hell of a deal
Old 11-28-2006, 01:42 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i bet you who ever bought it is reselling it for $400+ hahha
Old 11-28-2006, 02:13 PM
TECH Resident

I use a FAST 78 mm unported on top of my AFR 225's. On a T67 front mount with methanol the car makes 600 rwhp/rwtq @ 11 psi. I'd go ahead and use it without porting and see what you get.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:31 PM
TECH Addict

Porting the fast is going to make it more prone to not holding a seal rather than cracking in the body. This is from someone that has ported several, but not used any on boost...........I believe they are cracking laterally across the bottom, right?

Brandon
Old 11-29-2006, 12:42 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by xfactor_pitbulls
Porting the fast is going to make it more prone to not holding a seal rather than cracking in the body. This is from someone that has ported several, but not used any on boost...........I believe they are cracking laterally across the bottom, right?

Brandon
Are you back?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TryingT/A
Already had an ls6 stock and sold it for $100 bucks with the rails and t/b to a member on this board. Carb style will take the stress off the back cylinders but there are clearance issues with the cowl and hood. Definitely not ditching my FAST, just wondering whether porting will weaken it significantly.
No clearance issues even with the Vic Jr Carb Style, just need to get the right elbow. Check out this thread https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...0&page=1&pp=20

This is the link to get the Elbow that will allow no cutting of the hood.
http://www.nitrousoutlet.com/installs/install.asp?id=22

Basically im still debating on getting this as well and wanted the Vic Jr without cutting of the hood or anything.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:47 AM
TECH Regular

Kind of sucks having to buy a new intake when i've spent so much on the FAST. I guess I will just keep it on low boost (got a stock bottom end anyway). If porting it makes the seal leak then thats no good with boost. I guess I will leave mine unported as I will be getting a procharger for the summer. And yeah, maybe getting a 100 bucks wasn't enough for the ls6 intake, but I wanted to get rid of the thing and it was to a fellow board member. We're here to help each other out, not try to profit off of stock parts we don't need.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ported fast more prone to cracking under boost?