Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Has anyone ever considered using Shorty 5.0 mustang headers turned around?

Old 11-29-2006, 05:30 PM
Has Unresolved Sales In Feedback/12 second club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever considered using Shorty 5.0 mustang headers turned around?

Has anyone ever thought of using shorty style 5.0 Headers with Ls1 flanges for a turbo kit? ive got a set built out of the stock 5.0 (87-93) Headers with Ls1 Flanges, They fit better than the Truck manifolds.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got pics?

i think i hear one person a while back say he took one and cut and welded an ls1 flange on it.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I posted a thread similar to this a few months back. It was centered around SBF twin turbo headers with LS1 flanges. Conclusion was they most likely wouldn't fit between the shock towers. I never even considered making a set out of the SBF shorties becuase of how easy the truck manifolds are. Do you have any pics? Here's a link to the thread I posted if anyone has any comments towards it. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=sbf
Old 11-29-2006, 09:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Hmm, I have heard something about this a few years back but had forgotten all about it. I just asked on another forum about using JBA shorties for the GTO flipped around on my car (05 GTO). I don't have the clearance issuse you guys have, so if the Ford headers really line up with the LSx flange, that may be an ideal setup for me. Any info on this??
Joe
Old 11-30-2006, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Bird-Of-Prey
I posted a thread similar to this a few months back. It was centered around SBF twin turbo headers with LS1 flanges. Conclusion was they most likely wouldn't fit between the shock towers. I never even considered making a set out of the SBF shorties becuase of how easy the truck manifolds are. Do you have any pics? Here's a link to the thread I posted if anyone has any comments towards it. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=sbf
ya, those headers you posted looked wide, but if you could find a narrower set it coudl work, aslo dont remember if the guy who did the flange swap was for a fbody, just an ls1, think it might have been a chevelle or something.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:17 AM
On The Tree

I know this idea won't work on the 4th gen camaro's but what about the 1st gens. I'm wanting to do a 6.0 swap into my 68 camaro. I was gonna use the truck manifold's but you have to give up the A/C. I live in GA so I gotta have a/c during the summer. Will the ford headers allow me to use the stock A/C? If they will what brand do you recommend getting. I'll need some that are thick enough to withstand the heat and pressure of the turbo. Probably get them coated also.

Last edited by 68LS1WANNABE; 01-29-2007 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

i never thought about it, thars a great idea, maybe someone will do it
Old 01-29-2007, 11:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 68LS1WANNABE
I know this idea won't work on the 4th gen camaro's but what about the 1st gens. I'm wanting to do a 6.0 swap into my 68 camaro. I was gonna use the truck manifold's but you have to give up the A/C. I live in GA so I gotta have a/c during the summer. Will the ford headers allow me to use the stock A/C? If they will what brand do you recommend getting. I'll need some that are thick enough to withstand the heat and pressure of the turbo. Probably get them coated also.
you might try taking the truck manafolds and flipping them Up and forward.
it wont work on a 4th gen, but you might have enough clearance between the shock towers for a 1rst gen.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
you might try taking the truck manafolds and flipping them Up and forward.
it wont work on a 4th gen, but you might have enough clearance between the shock towers for a 1rst gen.
Here is something exactly like he is suggesting....only in a Chevelle.

Turbo Chevelle with Flipped Manifolds

Dave
Old 01-30-2007, 03:02 PM
On The Tree

That's it. I hate to be a copy cat but that guy has his s@#$ together. That looks awsome to me. He mentioned getting all the piping coated, was that including the manifolds. Does anyone know if he was going shiny or black?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Has anyone ever considered using Shorty 5.0 mustang headers turned around?