Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Has anyone put together a complete DIY turbo guide?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2006, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone put together a complete DIY turbo guide?

It would be a lot easier than having to surf through the website for a hundred hours.
I gave my old faithful 94 Z28 to my brother and got a 112k '99 Corvette a month ago. I got a GT 6776 turbo for it a couple weeks ago. (It's a Buick type turbo with the 3 bolt flange). I plan on remote mounting and doing everything myself for as cheap as possible, in part just to show that it can be done relatively cheaply, which I think it can be. This will include buying a MIG welder and putting the exhaust together. Turboing was my plan before I got the car and now that I'm finally out of school I'm getting started, but after reading several things such as: that the tuning software is $600, that I might need to resleeve the block to fit the smallest forged pistons, and that I'll have to make a danged fuel return line to allow for installation of a boost sensitive fuel pressure regulator, I'm beggining to be turned off of the whole deal.
Anyway, is there such a guide out there?
Old 12-09-2006, 12:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/567592-real-price-forced-induction.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/508764-truck-manifold-turbo-set-up-faq-s.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-induction/208864-turbo-faq.html

3 good sources right there to start off with, and then read read read, tis what a tech driven site is all about.

I'm a avid DIY'er, but even when doing a project like this by yourself it will still cost you quite a bit. Definately not something to step into if you don't have a whole lot of time or cash.....

J

Last edited by frcefed98; 12-09-2006 at 12:13 PM.
Old 12-09-2006, 12:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good luck, many say they are going to do it cheap, but by the time you upgrade what needs to be upgraded.. its getting expensive. I tried to do mine on the cheap and still ended up 10k+.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take what you plan on spending and double it...that should be about what it ends up costing.
Old 12-10-2006, 04:10 PM
Fullthrottledan1

ive atleast spent double what i wanted to! Better than being on crack i guess LOL