Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

anyone have before and after cam swap dyno charts for fi motor?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 04:16 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default anyone have before and after cam swap dyno charts for fi motor?

i would like to know more about how diferent cams effect the power band on diferent motors. spool times, low end, top end. anything.
Old 12-18-2006, 11:03 PM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

no one?
Old 12-19-2006, 06:15 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i wish i would have dynoed my car with the cam before/after.

I'm not thinking it made that big a difference other than sounding pretty cool.

If a cam dont give you 30-40 hp plus good torque I dont think its worth it to have a sloppy idle.

there's a guru named patrickg in the internal section that knows a lot about cams he's a good guy to talk to.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribing.

It amazes me that so many people have such strong opinions on turbo and supercharger cams but no one has done cam-change-only dyno tests.

Mike
Old 12-19-2006, 06:28 AM
10 Second Club

well I'd like to add this

on a bone stock motor with 10 lbs of boost I made 484 rwhp

on a forged motor with 9.3:1 compression, 224/230 cam on a 115, and 12 lbs of boost I made 526.

So there's my comparison for ya.

Maybe the gains weren't as big cause of the loss of compression I have now.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:54 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your cam desicion should be based on were you want usable power at. With bigger turbos comes more RPM to get them spinning. So you should bpick a cam accordingly, taking into consideration heads, compression, type of exhaust (log, manifold, header), intake and so on. Have a cam guy pick your cam.

If you don't make full boost till 4900 then you don't want a cam thats going to make power at 5400. So yes there will come a point were you are going to need that big sloppy idle. You do not see 1500hp or more with hyd. cams for a reason in a small cube motor.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:38 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by hellbents10
Your cam desicion should be based on were you want usable power at. With bigger turbos comes more RPM to get them spinning. So you should bpick a cam accordingly, taking into consideration heads, compression, type of exhaust (log, manifold, header), intake and so on. Have a cam guy pick your cam.
But if nobody has done any REAL testing, how can they say what is ideal or not ????
A custom grind is all good and well....But IMO, there are far too many cams out there, and nobody can really say this cam is the cam YOU need for your engine.

Guessing via computer simulations is all good and well, but that doesnt always mean thats what will work in real life.

I enquired with a cam grinder for my engine. In simple terms, I wanted my car to idle smoothly ( although this was no set in stone ) and wanted to easily trap 140+.
I was reccomended something like a 23x/24x on 114 with around 0.600 lift or so.

Knowing in my own mind, FI motors dont need big cams, and that that cam would definately not idle the way I wanted....I ignored it and specced a 224/230 on 115.
The only thing they didnt do for me, was give me the 0.600 lift I wanted.

This cam has far exceeded my quarter goals, and it idles nicely at 800rpm.

There are a lot of big power engines out there, and cars going extremely fast. But when it comes to back to back testing of individual parts, that can affect performance.

That area seems to be lacking, as most people seem to build from scratch, and do everything at once.
Old 12-19-2006, 03:09 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by engineermike
Subscribing.

It amazes me that so many people have such strong opinions on turbo and supercharger cams but no one has done cam-change-only dyno tests.

Mike
Maybe we do and don't share it
Old 12-19-2006, 11:28 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
Maybe we do and don't share it
don't be greedy..

subscribing
Old 12-19-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Regular

Subscribing as well. So, in reference to what was mentioned earlier, you want to maximize the area you have not in boost? For example, my mods are in sig and redline is at around 6800 ish i believe. There isn't any point in spinning that high because my cam isn't efficient at that range correct? (LS6, cuts of at 5800-6k ish?) So to best improve performance you get a cam that either can spin for longer, or will make more power down low out of boost? Is getting the best of all three worlds possible? (smooth idle, street manners, respectable torque and hp below boost and spins above 6k?)
Old 12-20-2006, 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LastBlack02SS
So to best improve performance you get a cam that either can spin for longer, or will make more power down low out of boost?
Thats the big question I've been wondering as well. When talking about centri's it is obvious they don't need much help up high, so should you pick a cam with good low end torque?

Anyone want to let the secret out?