Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Input on Weiand

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2006, 11:21 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Input on Weiand Superchargers

I'm just looking to see what you all think of the Weiand Superchargers. Specifically the 6-71 street kit. I was toying with the idea of putting one on my 383stroker.

Last edited by leftme4dead; 12-19-2006 at 11:39 AM.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you want to put it on the Chevelle.
Old 12-19-2006, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Gold Phoenix
I assume you want to put it on the Chevelle.
Correct assumption!
Old 12-19-2006, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What is the specs on the engine??? Are you going to be building it for the blower or just put it on?? Are you going to be running any kind of cooling methods such as meth or water injection?? Are you willing to cut the hood?? (obviously yes but you never know)...And have you considered a centrifugal blower to fit under the hood if you really don't want to cut...And yes they are bad ***...Very intimidating and beautiful... =)
Old 12-19-2006, 01:01 PM
10 Second Club

a blower is always a good thing. as long as its a twin screw design you cant go wrong.

maybe check out the b&m and see if BDS makes one too. good luck. I always wanted to have a 68 or 69 Camaro with a blower and 2 carbs sticking out the hood.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:05 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
What is the specs on the engine??? Are you going to be building it for the blower or just put it on?? Are you going to be running any kind of cooling methods such as meth or water injection?? Are you willing to cut the hood?? (obviously yes but you never know)...And have you considered a centrifugal blower to fit under the hood if you really don't want to cut...And yes they are bad ***...Very intimidating and beautiful... =)
Specs I cant get until I get home. Im pretty sure I will need to get a diff set of heads. I think my cr is like 11:1 or 11.5:1, which ofcourse is too high. I will have to check.
I really dont want to run meth/h20 injection or anything like that. I would mainly be putting it on to gain some more power. I was looking in jegs and saw the kit for under 3k which seems fairly reasonable.
I do prefer the stock look hood. I was going to buy the 1" SS cowl hood for it. If I had to I would buy a larger hood. Would this not fit under the hood? Or would a larger hood work? If so, what do you think the smallest size hood I could get away with?
Old 12-19-2006, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not going to lie to you...That thing is BIG!!! I doubt even a 1" cowl would make that much of a difference...You're probably going to have to cut the hood...May some extremely big hood would fit but it would almost be an inconvenience just to have one that big... Also, you're definiately going to have to lower you compression... 9.5:1 or 10:1 would be alright for that blower...Do you have any specific goals for power or ET's??
Old 12-19-2006, 01:39 PM
TECH Resident

When pricing out the blower don't stop at just the manifold/blower kit. You're going to want linkage, fuel line, 2 draw through blower carbs, a hat of some kind, short water pump, small cap distributor a WBO2 and vac/boost gauge. If you have an automatic you might also look at a shuttle valve vacuum modulator control sold by BDS. Lokar sells a throttle cable to hook up to the Enderle blower linkage. No doubt a sawzall or wiz wheel is also in your future.

Weiand 6/8-71 blowers now use their own 2 lobe rotors and are thus less efficient than their 3 lobe brothers. You might call BDS and see what their system would run you for comparison.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:57 PM
TECH Regular

go bds or the blower shop...there are lots of other things you will need to buy that doesnt come in the kit
Old 12-19-2006, 02:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
I'm not going to lie to you...That thing is BIG!!! I doubt even a 1" cowl would make that much of a difference...You're probably going to have to cut the hood...May some extremely big hood would fit but it would almost be an inconvenience just to have one that big... Also, you're definiately going to have to lower you compression... 9.5:1 or 10:1 would be alright for that blower...Do you have any specific goals for power or ET's??
I'll have to just suck it up and cut through the hood or go a dif route. I guess ultimately I would like a car thats running solid 11's, which is what I was hoping for n/a. I figured a blower would be a nice edition to my car. Anything more than 11's and I would be ecstatic.

Originally Posted by andereck
When pricing out the blower don't stop at just the manifold/blower kit. You're going to want linkage, fuel line, 2 draw through blower carbs, a hat of some kind, short water pump, small cap distributor a WBO2 and vac/boost gauge. If you have an automatic you might also look at a shuttle valve vacuum modulator control sold by BDS. Lokar sells a throttle cable to hook up to the Enderle blower linkage. No doubt a sawzall or wiz wheel is also in your future.

Weiand 6/8-71 blowers now use their own 2 lobe rotors and are thus less efficient than their 3 lobe brothers. You might call BDS and see what their system would run you for comparison.
I'm pretty new to this game. I pretty much knew there was a lot more to it than just buying the kit. My car is set up for n20 currently, although none has been run and it just needs to be hooked up. This is just a wishful intention right now, so I was trying to find out a little bit about the Weiand. Ill have to look into the other mentioned systems and components as well now too.
Old 12-19-2006, 06:18 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...tCar.php?car=8

Check this blower out. Bob
Old 12-19-2006, 10:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

It never said how much power that setup made
Old 12-20-2006, 05:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Smile

Originally Posted by Smearin
It never said how much power that setup made
The owner (Larry) of this Corvette takes the car to shows, and is now not really interested in seeing how much power this combination. I got in a smaller pulley and a shorter belt for it, which Larry has never had us install. With Larry being happy with it the way it is, we didn't see the need to push it. Bob