Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

C5, APS Twin Turbo, Head/Cam -- Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 09:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default C5, APS Twin Turbo, Head/Cam -- Questions

Given APS' release and promotion of their Twin Turbo kit, I jumped in on the deal. But, that got my gears turning. I'm looking at going a little farther than just simply slapping the Twin Turbo kit on my 99 Vette. So......

What I'm looking at is a set of AFR heads and a mild turbo cam to liven things up some. Fuel system upgrades initially will be a Whalbro pump and injectors on the stock lines/rails. Thinking of a meth kit for it's timing advantages. Reason for the aftermarket heads is for a little more control over compression ratio via the combustion chamber in addition to all the mainstream positives of the aftermarket castings.

I am only planning on running 7-8 PSI through the motor, but given that the VE should be well improved over a stock motor, it should be a VERY healthy amount of air going through the motor. I.E. I KNOW it's going to not be a matter of if but when. Bear in mind that this isn't a daily driver although I'm SURE I'll be driving it more once completed.

Anyway, I just wanted to get some peoples thoughts on how far the stock shortblock could be pushed given the above configuration and properly tuned??? I'm not shooting for a record or anything by they way, just looking to have a well though out potential maximizing setup.
Old 12-26-2006, 09:47 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

600whp. 72cc AFR heads, with a killer tune and meth should be okay for a good while.....IMO
Old 12-27-2006, 12:12 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

weve made 630 on my mustang dyno, motor came out with good leakdown results. i wouldnt push it over 550-600 though at all if you want to expect any longevity.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Stock internals....

Supporting mods are very neccesary..
Old 12-27-2006, 06:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm not expecting a long life even with all the stars lined up. Admittedly, it'll probably take me a year to even put 5-7K miles on it, at which point I'll be thinking new shortblock and more boost anyway.

Thanks for the estimations guys. Real world feedback is always helpful. Looks like the meth kit is a good idea to boot.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
I'm not expecting a long life even with all the stars lined up. Admittedly, it'll probably take me a year to even put 5-7K miles on it, at which point I'll be thinking new shortblock and more boost anyway.

Thanks for the estimations guys. Real world feedback is always helpful. Looks like the meth kit is a good idea to boot.

Just remember at over 550rwhp pistons tend to break and if you break a piston, the chunk of piston going out the exhaust will take out the exhaust wheel on the turbo. expensive. Dangers of pushing the stock pistons when you know it wont last long..
Old 12-27-2006, 01:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chriswtx
Just remember at over 550rwhp pistons tend to break and if you break a piston, the chunk of piston going out the exhaust will take out the exhaust wheel on the turbo. expensive. Dangers of pushing the stock pistons when you know it wont last long..
Hmmm........you make a VERY good point. I'm on the fence right now as to do jsut the twin turbo kit with a meth injection or doing the whole shebang. Mainly due to financial reasons, but you did stir some thought with that above post.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The AFR heads are great, but I'd wait until you're ready to build a new motor from scratch before you buy them and a turbo cam.

I ran a ProCharger D-1SC followed by a TTi Stage X on a stock bottom end LS1 at 500 and 600 rwhp respectively without issue.

If you want some peace of mind you can install a meth kit or just toss in a can of Torco in each tank. Both will offer added levels of safety on the stock short block.
Old 12-28-2006, 05:04 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Unless you're prepared to rebuild the engine right away, I'd go with just the turbo for now. You could add the meth kit and add some timing back into the engine, which will dramatically up rwhp.
Check out this build that we did with twin turbo's. http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=26 Bob
Old 12-28-2006, 07:52 AM
10 Second Club

go ahead and add a twin walbro or twin racetronix fuel pump system now and get it doen and over with. you dont want to have to do the fuel system twice. and you will get hungry for more power I will guarantee you that. also go ahead and beef up the injectors too and maybe do the supply/return line and regulator.