Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbo smoking need some help

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbo smoking need some help

I have a t-76 on my 347ci...I just bought this kit here...and Im having a slight smokin problem and I havent given it more than half throttle but when it sees boost and i let off to shift it puffs and then when i decel after a run it up to 4200 it puffs pretty good...Its a gravity drain with -10 and it is about 3-5" downhill to the oil pan...and i tapped it on driver side right behind the k-member up as high as i could get it above the oil level...I am using a restrictor that says 63 on it...so im assuming it is an .063"..which most of you guys say dont go below .060....should i go lower?? My car has always had a lot of oil pressure with a ARE pump.....and Im using 10W30....

---ALSO I have a oil reservoir setup with it...Im not sure where/how to hook it up....I have looked for pictures...any pics or anything would help!!! Thanks!
Old 12-27-2006, 08:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is your PCV set up? you might have boost in the crank case. Do you have oil on the ehaust side of the turbo?
Old 12-27-2006, 10:05 AM
Teching In

I dont have anything other than the stock pcv setup...i would like to hook up a catch can....but im not sure how to?!?! I need some pics or something....my kit came with one....im not too familar with turbo applications though...its deff a learning process!! lol
Old 12-27-2006, 11:27 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

as far as the catch can/pcv goes do a search and you will find many pics of set ups, and AMW---------> also has a diagram for hooking up a catch can. Another thing you should try is a scavenge pump on the return side. however, to some degree, smoke after accel. runs is normal. Try those two things and you should be good.
Old 12-27-2006, 11:47 AM
TECH Regular

a catch can will help you out alot. I had the exact thing happen to me when i got my truck running at first. oil out of the turbine housing, smoke when i let off the throttle etc. I made my own and now there is no more smoke.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:25 AM
Restricted User

Custom - you are correct on the restrictor sizing. Depending on which turbo you have, you can go as low as a .045 or even a .035 with some BB turbos.

An oil resevoir helps with some kits and the design. If they gave you a resevoir with the kit, please use it.

If you need help with a PCV catch can or mounting the resevoir, give us a call.
Old 12-28-2006, 09:06 PM
Teching In

Thanks NOSJohn and others!!....I have a PT76 Im gonna try and find out where that catch can/pcv setup goes and see if that solves the problem!! I want to romp on it so bad but i have come so far and I dont wanna screw something up!
Old 12-28-2006, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

where is the turbo mounted? do you have a check valve in the turbo oil inlet? when you shut the car off...you should pull the oil drain off teh turbo after about 30 seconds...if you see a ton of oil coming out of the drain...you probably have some drainage problems.
Old 12-29-2006, 09:02 PM
Teching In

Turbo is mounted on the front in between the motor and radiator bout midway up...so it wasnt much of a problem to angle the drain line downward....Im not sure about a check valve in the Trubo inlet....it just has one hole and thats the one where the orfice is...and its a .060

Quick Reply: turbo smoking need some help