Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

turbos + X-pipe?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default turbos + X-pipe?

just curious (got to thinking this one afternoon while working)....

lets say you had a "Camaro" with true duals/X-pipe exhaust and you added two turbos (replaced the long tube headers)

would there be any gain in still having an X-pipe/dual exhaust or is any "scavenging" effect negated by the turbos?

would it be better to ditch the duals (most people have 2.5" duals) and go with say a 3.5" or 4" single pipe out the back (again.....just numbers...no idea about fitment)

no, I'm not thinking of turning my Camaro into a turbo car. I like the nasty 1200RPM idle and all the noise...
Old 12-30-2006, 12:22 PM
TECH Veteran

ttt.........?
Old 12-30-2006, 12:47 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The less back pressure the better. A bigger pipe would be better than trying to scavenge the exhaust at the cost of increasing back pressure.
Old 12-31-2006, 09:21 PM
Banned

on my car(not an f-body though) i gained 39 rwhp going from true 3" duals all the way back w/straight through magnaflows to 3" duals w/a bassani x-pipe and bassani straight through mufflers all the way back.Not sure if the increase was due to the x ,the muffler change or a combo of both.darrel bassani seemed to think that the added size of the x in the center somewhere around 4.5-5" diameter was the reasoning for the increase of hp

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: turbos + X-pipe?