Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

How well do gears affect us F/I guys? mainly SC stuff

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How well do gears affect us F/I guys? mainly SC stuff

I recently bought an 02 z06 that has a procharger and some bolt on stuff.. Makes 570whp and have been curious but haven't read much about doing gears with the setup.

I know some guys have had luck with turbo's and like 3.00 gears but have seen some stuff where a 3.90 or 4.10 can really help too with the s/c guys.. Any threads or info to help decide what a good option for me is? Currently have the stock 3.42 and car pulls pretty good...

What type of gains will I notice going higher gear? Better et? Or just mph? Or both?

Thanks..
Old 01-03-2007, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Is it an A4 or M6? Well, the main thing about lower gears is that it will get you into your powerband quicker. I.E. it will aid in quicker spool up which can lead to better e.t.'s.
Old 01-03-2007, 05:52 PM
On The Tree

The z06 6speed has different ratios than the standard c5's. I've always heard the first few gears it acts like it has 3.90's already. Personally, I think if you add higher numerical gears to your setup all you'll see is a smoke show.
Old 01-03-2007, 06:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Gears dont mean anything for a supercharger since they dont 'spool up' like a tubo, a blower's rpm and output is dictated by engine rpm.

A centrifugal blower has a very simiar powerband to a n/a engine, in a M6 Z06 it would depend on where you want your top speed in 4h gear at max rpm to be like anything else. The Z06 trans does have a higher 1st gear then the standard M6, I would assume the standard 3.42 would be fine unless you are going to good tires and are worried about dragstrip times.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
Gears dont mean anything for a supercharger since they dont 'spool up' like a tubo, a blower's rpm and output is dictated by engine rpm...
Thats true, but regardless of if a car is N/A or not, wouldnt gears cause cause the effect of one to "ramp-up" quicker, thus giving an effect of a quicker "spool", for lack of a better term? Like for example, if you took out those 3.70's and put in say, 3.24's, wouldnt that effect how fast your car gets into its powerband?
Old 01-03-2007, 10:24 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would keep it the way you have it.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:41 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 6techniques
Thats true, but regardless of if a car is N/A or not, wouldnt gears cause cause the effect of one to "ramp-up" quicker, thus giving an effect of a quicker "spool", for lack of a better term? Like for example, if you took out those 3.70's and put in say, 3.24's, wouldnt that effect how fast your car gets into its powerband?
Sure it will make a difference in how the car accelerates, but that works with an n/a motor too and they have nothing to 'spool' More gear will put it at higher RPM quicker and more boost of course but too much gear and the car will never hook or run out at the other end.

Turbos tend to spool quicker with more load, smaller number gear can help spool quicker but that isnt related to a supercharger at all.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:08 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 6techniques
Is it an A4 or M6? Well, the main thing about lower gears is that it will get you into your powerband quicker. I.E. it will aid in quicker spool up which can lead to better e.t.'s.
By lower you mean 3.46 instead of a 3.91? I've got a turbo'ed LS1 and am hitting 6400rpm across the line @ 127mph, tried a set of 3.46's as a test but didn't seem to make any real gain. Then again most of the turbo'ed LS1's here in Aust are still using standard 3.46 gears
Old 01-04-2007, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

you want as much gear as you can get, period.

pick your tire size, pick your max rpm, pic your high gear ratio, pick a desired maximum trap speed, and do the calculation...or use an online calculator...and thats it.

for instance i want to run a 27" tire, not go past 6800rpm, high gear is 1:1, and i want to go a max of 150mph trap speed. this came out closest to a 3.42 gear for me so thats what i got.
Old 01-04-2007, 07:45 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well I have a little bit of a different view on it from my experience (Mainly on the street though.). The FI cars tend to like the taller gears a little more. I wouldn't go too crazy, but a good 350ish gear is hard to beat for all around performance. ZO6's gear ratio's suck for a big powered FI car. They are too low in first and second causing it to spin way too easy and when you go to the next gear it too is so close that you need to shift to third then you end up being in third when it finally hooks and then you are out of your power range for a few seconds. Ends up letting people get out on you a little. Drivers do make a difference, but a little taller gear rations of the M6 gears are better suited for a FI car IMO. Traction is a huge issue once you get to a certain point. I am basing this off a friends car I helped him put together and He is not the best driver, but not the worst either.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:37 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i took his question to be what are the best gears for the track.

if you are spinning you need more tire or suspension work.... for the track you set up the gears one way and thats what i posted above.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:49 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,090 Likes on 718 Posts

Having owned a blown setup in the Formy, and also a stock Z06, I would say that I would never put more gear in a Z06 unless you are running sticky tires.

When I converted my Formy from NA to FI, to a blower setup for a few years, I had 4.10's and then went to 3.50. The 4.10's were much more limited. I ran 3.50's with 28's, could have run 3.73's, but it was not worth it to me. But class race cars would probably err on the side of being slightly overgeared, rather than under.
Old 01-04-2007, 08:58 AM
10 Second Club

in my opinion 3.42-3.73 is where you want to be. but like inspector 12 said it depends on your trans how it is geared.

if and when i do my 12 bolt i'm just gonna stick 3.42's in there, i have 3.23's now, it wont make a big difference but it will help bring the revs up quicker. I'll be running a 3800 yank now so that's all the gear i'll need.

i wouldn't fix anything unless its broke.

maybe do something else like add nitrous

Quick Reply: How well do gears affect us F/I guys? mainly SC stuff