Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

need some advice.... stay with my STS or procharge!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2007, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default need some advice.... stay with my STS or procharge!

ok i have a big dilemma.....

i have an STS kit all installed with everything ready to go, except my turbo was seized, so it has been sent to STS for a "checkup".. my car is currently 3 hours away from me, at a shop, waiting for the turbo to come back so it can get tuned.

now for the conflict: i need the car back on saturday(1/13) because i start school next monday , so i am debating whether or not to return the car back to stock, sell the STS, and eventually procharge it and be done(since EPP has a kit with everything i need).... OR wait a little longer and hope STS fixes the turbo and sends it back to be installed by saturday.

i have been looking at prochargers, and they seem to be much easier than turbos and much more reliable.

but then i do have a near finished sts, and if i sell it, i will be losing money, but i will also have a running car! any advice is greatly appreciated!

bottom line, i really need the car back and running. it has been under the knife since august, and i just want to drive the damn thing!
Old 01-08-2007, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What was the reason for the failure in the turbo?? I would see if you could get it fixed and then be done with it... It's a tough decision but you're already at the crossroads of having a finished car but if you went with the Procharger then you would have to revert back to stock and then start all over again...The Procharger is pretty easy to install but remember that you have to pin the crank if you want to run over 8psi and there's the problem with belt slip...Ulitimately the decision to switch or not is if the turbo is shot BUT how much will it cost to have it rebuilt?? OR you could just buy a new one and put it on, get it tuned, rebuild the old one, and then sell that to gain your money back...Just a though...This one is a tough decision...
Old 01-08-2007, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

yes, i know!!! i was thinking of just buying a new turbo, and rebuilding the old one as well, but i also still have to worry about my tranny going next! it sucks because i'm getting to the point where i am running out of cash and credit cards! this STS thing has been a big money pit, and i had planned to spend an arm and a leg, but now it is starting to exceed my funds....

and i dont know what the reason for the turbo failure is, because sts never answers their phones! the turbo has been there at least a week!

i am leaning towards putting it back to stock, so it will be reliable until i can recouperate for the next build... but keep the opinions coming!
Old 01-08-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sell it... STS's are money pits... so are any turbo applications

go heads and cam.. N/A and eliminate the problem and money spending if you do not have funds to keep up with the demands of a boosted system
Old 01-08-2007, 02:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

your tranny should last a little while just dont go over 8 pounds, buy a gridle for like 150, and you have a auto atleast thats on your side, you could have a stick.
Old 01-08-2007, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Go procharged
Old 01-08-2007, 04:29 PM
TECH Addict

it would be stupid to start over not knowing what you already have.

get the turbo back, have Rick dial it in at 6-7psi for longevity of all your other components and enjoy.

you will love it even at 6-7psi.

there are a number of folks going on 2 years or more with these kits with no issues. don't panic.
Old 01-08-2007, 05:02 PM
TECH Fanatic

Exactly...You're going to do twice the work because of a turbo that takes 4 bolts to get off??? You can have a turbo in like 3 days... Just finish it out man...
Old 01-08-2007, 08:00 PM
10 Second Club

its not just because of the turbo... remember my car is 3 hours away from me... i just NEED the car to be up and running because when school starts, i'm not going to have enough time to go and pick it up. this coming saturday is my last chance i'm gonna have time to pick it up. it has already been down there for almost a month.. and with my turbo at STS, that just doesnt help things. i wish it would be that easy.... get a turbo, and tune it and be done, but after a month, i havent gotten anywhere! i wish i could just order a new turbo too, but i just dont have the money for it right now... the old one doesnt even have 2 miles on it!! i have called STS many times, and have left voicemails, and i'm not getting anything back! i have called them for the past 2 weeks, and nothing! i'm just starting to get frustrated with this whole sts thing....
Old 01-08-2007, 08:45 PM
TECH Addict

thats odd, you sure you have the right number?

I always got a response the same or next day when I needed to talk with them. Granted that was 2 years ago, I am sure they are a much bigger operation now.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Keep the STS.
Old 01-08-2007, 09:36 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Blackbird
thats odd, you sure you have the right number?

haha.... yes, i even have it memorized by now, 1-866-we turbo
Old 01-09-2007, 10:50 AM
TECH Addict

thats STS for you... once they have your money... you're treated as you didnt exsist..

oh by the way.. your turbo isnt at STS.. its shipped to "Chopper" who builds all these turbos by Garrett. He is not the fastest or nicest guy either.

ditch the STS.. go back to stock.. then in the future go heads and cam
Old 01-09-2007, 12:45 PM
10 Second Club

well, i finally got ahold of STS thanks to Billy at TRT... i guess my turbo was sent to the wrong place, but it is now being rebuilt, and synergy SHOULD have it by the end of the week... i was very close to scrapping the project and selling the kit, but Billy helped me out! we'll see, i'll post up results at the end of the week...
Old 01-09-2007, 12:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
well, i finally got ahold of STS thanks to Billy at TRT... i guess my turbo was sent to the wrong place, but it is now being rebuilt, and synergy SHOULD have it by the end of the week... i was very close to scrapping the project and selling the kit, but Billy helped me out! we'll see, i'll post up results at the end of the week...
Good to hear man...I'm glad that you stick to it because if you don't on this one you'll have a harder time to stick with something next time... Good luck and hope that you enjoy it..
Old 01-09-2007, 12:55 PM
TECH Addict

good deal, I was gonna post up asking who you bought it from as it makes the most sense they could get it swapped out for you.

let us know how it turns out / how you like it.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by RooRnZ28
Billy and Dustin @ TRT are awesome man. they did ALL the work on my car and my car runs amazing. im @ 503rwhp with 2 psi left man , if my car can do it then yours can