Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The Ultimate Turbo Cam

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 07:19 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The Ultimate Turbo Cam

Please help sellect the ultimate turbo cam. I bought a cam already but am told it isnt optimal for turbo aplications. I am looking for the chunkyness of a big cam yet optimal for turbo applications. some suggestions were:

1. 228 224 with a 116LSA
2. 224 224 with a 116LSA

add your coice and please leave reasons why: Im sure this will help many when choosing a cam for their forced induction project.

THANKS ~Guy
Old 01-09-2007, 08:52 PM
TECH Regular

There is a lot more to a camshaft than duration @.050 and the LSA. If you don't know or don't understand what else there is you would be best served by contacting a reputable camshaft grinder or turbo tuner and asking there opinion. At the end of the day they charge the same no matter what lobes they put on a cam core and they do it every day and make a living at it. There isn't anyone that I could think of that would be more qualified to help you. Most folks here mean well but wouldn't have the depth of knowledge that a professional would.
Old 01-09-2007, 09:21 PM
Teching In

Like T/A said, there are SO many factors that go into cam selection, and most of them are based on your specific engine's characteristics. For some good information and formulas, try the Tech section on ForcedInductions.com.

Turbo 101

The words overlap sometimes which can make it hard to read, but just highlight the paragraphs and you'll be alright.
Old 01-09-2007, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No such thing. Every combination is different and will have different requirements. I have seen pretty close to the same combinations running very different cams with very close to the same results. There have been multiple threads about this. Do a search and I can promise you one thing, you will be even more confused than you are now. Everybody seems to have different opinions. I say pick a sponsor and contact them. They know what they are doing.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:14 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

What are your parameters?
Old 01-10-2007, 10:20 AM
10 Second Club

Give speed inc a call. They have some nice turbo grinds and will help you figure out what you will need for your setup.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

I tried a search first but the search rarely works these days but ok I will contact some cam sponsors and see what they say. thanks for the help. ~Guy
Old 01-10-2007, 02:08 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks Hamrhead, Im going to go with Speed Inc.s turbo cam. the guys down there are nice and seem very knowledgable. Im going to go with their turbo cam which is
225/225 .581 .581 113LSA he said it will give me tons of power and the chunkiness I am looking for. Thanks again ~Guy
Old 01-10-2007, 03:34 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ssdriver27
Thanks Hamrhead, Im going to go with Speed Inc.s turbo cam. the guys down there are nice and seem very knowledgable. Im going to go with their turbo cam which is
225/225 .581 .581 113LSA he said it will give me tons of power and the chunkiness I am looking for. Thanks again ~Guy
Your welcome!
Old 01-10-2007, 06:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

As others say, no such thing......and optimal in what way ??? No cam without hours and hours of actual testing will find you what is optimal.

Also....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/search.php
Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Perhaps thats why he created this post? To see what people are using in what combo and how it works. Just a thought, I could be wrong. Perhaps someone out there tried a certain grind and gained a tremendous amount of power? Anyone can call a cam maker, Im sure they know their **** to a point, but no one knows more than the people than actually run, test and tune them. Probably another reason he was asking in this section.
Im not being rude, I just hate asking a question on here and being told to call someone. I mean if I wanted to call someone I would, but then you get one answer. vs. on here you get a few answers, people picking them apart, and reasoning, and fallow ups and what not.

Back to the subject of an optimal turbo cam. What out there has worked wonders on what setup? Theres setups out ther with tons of things done making good numbers, then theres setups out there with minimal stuff done exceding those, How crucial is the camshaft selection in a turbo car?

I just used my freinds 224/224 .580/.580 112 and it seems to work fine. 5.3L 8.6:1 , ported 6.0 heads, 15psi boost.

Not to hijack his thread but what other info would be needed to determine what would be a better cam? besides testing each one. Like would an LS6 cam be better? about the same? WAY better?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pwrtrip75
I just used my freinds 224/224 .580/.580 112 and it seems to work fine. 5.3L 8.6:1 , ported 6.0 heads, 15psi boost.
How much power did you make?
Old 01-11-2007, 08:51 AM
TECH Regular

Anyone can call a cam maker, Im sure they know their **** to a point, but no one knows more than the people than actually run, test and tune them. Probably another reason he was asking in this section.
You are kidding right? Do you honestly think someone that has maybe at most put two or three camshafts in, at the same time changing combinations of engine, turbo, etc etc is going to have more experience or knowledge than the guy that designs the cams, has real testing equipment, and works with countless engine builders on different engine combinations? I am not trying to start a here, but anyone who just rattles off duration and LSA numbers is doing the OP a disservice.
Old 01-11-2007, 11:45 AM
9 Second Club

Received 179 Likes on 154 Posts

Perhaps thats why he created this post? To see what people are using in what combo and how it works. Just a thought, I could be wrong. Perhaps someone out there tried a certain grind and gained a tremendous amount of power? Anyone can call a cam maker, Im sure they know their **** to a point, but no one knows more than the people than actually run, test and tune them. Probably another reason he was asking in this section.
Im not being rude, I just hate asking a question on here and being told to call someone. I mean if I wanted to call someone I would, but then you get one answer. vs. on here you get a few answers, people picking them apart, and reasoning, and fallow ups and what not.

Back to the subject of an optimal turbo cam. What out there has worked wonders on what setup? Theres setups out ther with tons of things done making good numbers, then theres setups out there with minimal stuff done exceding those, How crucial is the camshaft selection in a turbo car?

Not to hijack his thread but what other info would be needed to determine what would be a better cam? besides testing each one. Like would an LS6 cam be better? about the same? WAY better?
Are you joking ??? The thing is virtually any mild cam, will work wonders on a turbo build.
The stock LS6 cam will work very well on a turbo build, in fact dozens of cams will.

Perhaps someone out there tried a certain grind and gained a tremendous amount of power?
MM ran a totally stock F-body cam and made a tremendous amount of power...

IMO, when it comes to a turbocharged setup, things like turbo selection, tuning, manifolds, BOOST, CR, heads etc, will have more of an impact than a camshaft.
Although.....a big camshaft can seriously hurt driveability and power/torque at lower rpms. It may help up top.....thats another debate though. IMO what you would lose down low, isnt worth it, unless you want a lopey cam.
If one setup doesnt make enough power, turn up the boost.

Now, back to the original question. He hasks what cam would be optimal for a turbo build....

Are we talking a 1000cc 15,000rpm motor, or a 427ci 6000rpm motor ? What car, what engine, what turbos, what useage ?

Its hard to advise someone who asks a totally open ended question.

How long is a piece of string ??

And as I said, use the search facility. These questions have been asked so many times, and there is a wealth of information in this forum, from people who have asked similar questions, albeit a little more specific.

Last edited by stevieturbo; 01-11-2007 at 11:53 AM.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ssdriver27
T Speed Inc.s turbo

Old 01-11-2007, 08:16 PM
12 Second Club

**** it i'm tired of searching, i'm gonna get that cam too lol...
Old 01-11-2007, 08:57 PM
TECH Addict

So the answer to the question is......the cam isnt a very crucial element in a turbo build.
That was hard to say.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by RealQuick
How much power did you make?

I have no idea. Havnt had it to the track yet and it will never see a dyno. I should be able to get an idea when I run it and get a mph.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Turbo Cam